Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to go to Euro 2012 from Australia

Options
  • 16-11-2011 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey Everyone

Any idea what would be the best way to get to the Euro Champs next June in Poland and Ukraine? Doesnt look there is many flights that go way. Debating a campervan from Germany? Any thoughts?

Also check out

Get everyone in the mood!

mod Edited to fix youtube link

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Welcome to boards, Toffee. We will have to wait I suppose until the group draw is made to determine in which cities & country the matches will be played. However if you are coming from Australia or NZ especially for the tournament then the UAE will be your best bet.

Ukraine is the 2nd biggest country in Europe behind Russia and the distances are massive, Donetsk to Gdansk (the two stadia furthest apart) is an 1,150mile/1,800kms drive. So bear this in mind with the camper van idea.

The venues

Donetsk and Kharkiv in the Ukraine are both linked to Dubai by flyDubai a low cost airline based in Dubai
    Kiev is very well linked to Dubai served by 3 airlines Ukraine International, Fly Dubai and Aerosvit Airlines.

Poland is very badly linked with long haul in mind.
    An Airline called Enter Air flys to Katowice from Dubai which might suit for games in either Wroclaw or Warsaw.

Prague is well served from the middle east and it and or Munich may be another option for connecting onwards.

The Ukraine is well linked to Thailand also which may be an alternate way of getting into Europe also.

If our matches are in the Ukraine it would be worth going straight to the Ukraine as it will be difficult and expensive enough to get there from Ireland so you'd be saving yourself several hours flight and possibly a good bit of money to head to the Ukraine via the Middle East or Thailand. Trying to get to Poland from Australia would be tricky and flying to Germany from the UAE, Singapore or Thailand would probably be the handiest or else maybe Prague from the UAE.

Wizz Air serve Poland well from Cork and Ryanair from Dublin.

Hopefully I have given you an idea of some routings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Kick off times is Melbourne are 1am and 3.45am! :(

I think I'll be investing in Foxtel for the championships, assuming that's where the games will be shown?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

04072511 wrote: »
    Kick off times is Melbourne are 1am and 3.45am! :(

I think I'll be investing in Foxtel for the championships, assuming that's where the games will be shown?

Probably gonna have to get Setanta.

1am aint too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Probably gonna have to get Setanta.

1am aint too bad

I was thinking (hoping) ESPN would stump up for it??

You cannot get Setanta in my apartment building for some reason. It already means midnight trip to the pub to watch Leinster in the Heineken Cup, I don't know if my career would survive a month of 2am trips to the pub for Euro 2012!

How exactly do you get Setanta? Do you have to get foxtel and then pay extra for Setanta?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 toffeeforever81

setanta are showing all the games. you have to have foxtel and then you pay for it on top of that. i pay it at $180 a year lump sum.

Watch UEFA EURO 2012™ Playoffs Live on Setanta Sports

Watch live and exclusive coverage of the UEFA EURO 2012™ Playoffs this November. Watch the playoffs for the world's second largest football tournament including Republic of Ireland, Croatia, Estonia and Turkey.
    Next stop Poland and Ukraine for the UEFA EURO 2012™ Finals!

setanta are showing all the games. you have to have foxtel and then you pay for it on top of that. i pay it at $180 a year lump sum.

Watch UEFA EURO 2012™ Playoffs Live on Setanta Sports

Watch live and exclusive coverage of the UEFA EURO 2012™ Playoffs this November. Watch the playoffs for the world's second largest football tournament including Republic of Ireland, Croatia, Estonia and Turkey.
    Next stop Poland and Ukraine for the UEFA EURO 2012™ Finals!

Is that 180 dollars for everything or just the Setanta price?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Is that 180 dollars for everything or just the Setanta price?[/Quote]
    Ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shazforgrub

I'm flying home for a week or two next summer, a few mates are thinkin of gettin a camper van and going across to Poland. I was thinking of taggin along and coming back to oz from there. Haven't put any big thought into it yet, I reckon theres not much point until we know where we will be based really, will keep an eye on this thread tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pshea

Anyone else been looking?? It looks like it will be expensive and a long haul. I cant seem to find anything thats under 30 hours. Flying to Prague/Vienna/Germany and then trains looks the best option pricewise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You could consider watching the games online with Setanta. They charge about a tenner for a game. Check the site for more. I'm sure there will be plenty of sites streaming the games for free. Quality is not always guaranteed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Just a note for people thinking about getting Setanta. They charge $17 a month with no long term contract, plus $17 setup.

I called up to cancel it because the quality was so bad - honestly it's like watching a sh*tty YouTube video most of the time - but the guy then offered it to me for $5 a month.

So if you do decide to get it, call up before the end of the first month to complain about the quality and they should knock $12 off for you.

Advertisement