Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not receiving any mail

• 16-11-2011 2:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Since I've got to the US I haven't been able to receive any mail at my address. I am waiting on my social security card and state ID and these have not arrived. I also mailed myself a letter to my address to test if it would arrive - I sent this last Wednesday and it still hasn't arrived. So I was wondering is there something I must do to allow mail to reach me? I've read about 'change of address' forms but none really apply to someone coming from an international country. I am concerned about this as really need state ID to open bank account , etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Are you sure you are writing the correct zip code? do you have GPS - enter your address and see if it comes up on the map. Other than that check the local post office - just in case for some reason they dont deliver to your house - some friends of mine here have to collect directly as the mailman doesnt go that far out.....guess it makes sense in inclement weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

My social security card was not delivered to my address when I expected it either when I was on a J1 summer.

I went back down to the social security office and asked why and they said that the postman would not deliver it unless my name was on the mailbox.

I taped my name to the post box, they re-sent it and it was delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

My social security card was not delivered to my address when I expected it either when I was on a J1 summer.

I went back down to the social security office and asked why and they said that the postman would not deliver it unless my name was on the mailbox.

I taped my name to the post box, they re-sent it and it was delivered.

Thanks, hopefully this is it! Will sort it in morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes, having your name on the mailbox is important. You could also introduce yourself to the delivery person, if you are home at the right time, that helps if you think people may write your address slightly wrong (for example the way US and Europeans write the numbers 1 and 7 is slightly different, which can lead to confusion).

Advertisement