Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGCE help please?

• 16-11-2011 5:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm currently working in ESL in Korea, but I've recently started to comtemplate getting into a PGCE in 2012. I have a number of questions, I would be delighted if someone could help me with some of them.

1. My degree is a BA (joint honours) in Geography and Economics from UCC. I assume this meets the requirements of the teacher council. Right?

2. My degree is a low 2:1, I've heard that this probably rules me out of the H Dip in Ireland, forcing me to the U.K. Is this still the case?

3. I think I will apply for Ireland anyway, as well as the U.K. I have looked on the PAC website, but where does one apply for UL? I don't see them there, do they run a PGCE course? Is it a case of directly applying to them?

4 When applying to the U.K is there soemthing similar to PAC or is all individual applications to the universities?

5. Finally, and most importantly when is the closing date for applications for 2012?

I know its a lot of questions, but I'd appreciate if people could chime in to answer any query they can. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I think the closing date is December 1st but there maybe a late submission date in January but I assume it is on the PAC website.
    Also do you mean the PGDE?
    Just to add to that, I think the name has changed to something else now anyway; but best to check that and update the thread title.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I think the closing date is December 1st but there maybe a late submission date in January but I assume it is on the PAC website.
    Also do you mean the PGDE?
    Just to add to that, I think the name has changed to something else now anyway; but best to check that and update the thread title.
    Good luck!

It's the PDE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

I'm currently working in ESL in Korea, but I've recently started to comtemplate getting into a PGCE in 2012. I have a number of questions, I would be delighted if someone could help me with some of them.

1. My degree is a BA (joint honours) in Geography and Economics from UCC. I assume this meets the requirements of the teacher council. Right?

2. My degree is a low 2:1, I've heard that this probably rules me out of the H Dip in Ireland, forcing me to the U.K. Is this still the case?

3. I think I will apply for Ireland anyway, as well as the U.K. I have looked on the PAC website, but where does one apply for UL? I don't see them there, do they run a PGCE course? Is it a case of directly applying to them?

4 When applying to the U.K is there soemthing similar to PAC or is all individual applications to the universities?

5. Finally, and most importantly when is the closing date for applications for 2012?

I know its a lot of questions, but I'd appreciate if people could chime in to answer any query they can. Cheers.

Yes, you apply through the GTTR website for UK PGCE. There's no deadline if you are applying for Secondary. The deadline is December 1st for Primary. Bear in mind there is quite a bit of competition for courses like Geography and History.

I wouldn't recommend coming home. I don't think the jobs situation is that great here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fredzepplin

Thanks a lot for the input so far guys.

I want to bump the thread for help in regard to applying to UL and how competitive the Irish scene is right now? (basically my chances with a low 2:1 and my subjects_

Also, I know the job situation in Ireland is pretty dire. The qualification would only be a means of gettin a better job abroad for the short to midium term until, hopefully, the job situation at home improves a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You'll have to check if it's on the Teaching Council list of approved qualifications. Degrees aren't automatically put on the list. www.teachingcouncil.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement