Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tail docking cows

• 16-11-2011 7:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

used to do this a few years ago but stopped since its illegal... see an ad on dd with dairy heifers from kilkenny with their tails docked, now thay are alot shorter than i would have done them, is there a penalty for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Yep, S.I. No. 263/2003:
    S.I. No. 263 of 2003

Protection of Animals Kept For Farming Purposes Act 1984 (Bovine Animals) (Prohibition on Tail Docking) Regulations 2003

I, Joe Walsh, Minister for Agriculture and Food, in exercise of the powers conferred on me by section 3 of the Protection of Animals Kept For Farming Purposes Act 1984 ( No. 13 of 1984 ) (as adapted by the Agriculture, Food and Rural Development (Alteration of Name of Department and Title of Minister) Order 2002 ( S.I. No. 306 of 2002 )), hereby make the following regulations

1.(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Protection of Animals Kept For Farming Purposes Act 1984 (Bovine Animals) (Prohibition on Tail Docking) Regulations 2003.

(2) In these Regulations, “registered veterinary surgeon” means a person entered on the register maintained under the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1931 ( No. 36 of 1931 ).

(3) A reference to a Regulation is to a Regulation of these Regulations and a reference to a paragraph is a reference to the provision in which the reference occurs.

2.(1) A person shall not remove or mutilate or cause or permit another person to remove or mutilate the tail or part of the tail of a bovine animal.

(2) A person shall not have in his or her possession or under his or her control, sell or supply a bovine animal if the tail or part of the tail of the animal has been removed or mutilated in contravention of paragraph (1).

3. Regulation 2 shall not apply to the removal of the tail of a bovine animal

(a) under and in accordance with a licence granted under section 8 of the Cruelty to Animals Act 1876 (39 & 40 Vict. c . 77), or

(b) after administration of an anaesthetic, by a registered veterinary surgeon where, in his or her opinion, it is necessary for the proper treatment of disease or injury in a single animal.

GIVEN under my Official Seal,

20 June 2003

Joe Walsh

Minister for Agriculture and Food

Is this the DD ad you're talking about?:
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dairycattle/2725455
    18 pbnr holstein friesian heifers.
    Dairy Cattle / Kilkenny

18 pbnr holstein friesian, fresh calved heifers from recorded closed herd.

Hedr avg 2000 gallons at 4.2 b.fat. 3.37prot.

Tb and blood tested on 07/11/2011.Genuine calls only please.

Price: not specified

181487.jpg
    181486.jpg
    181485.jpg
    181484.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

the satilite will catch him next time it passes over,one dairy near me does it aswell ,dont like the look of them when its done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

the brother uses those orange rings that the sheep men use to castarate the lambs , its too much maintenance having to clip the cows tails every few months in the parlour , i see little wrong with it tbh and i think it looks a lot tidier too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the brother uses those orange rings that the sheep men use to castarate the lambs , its too much maintenance having to clip the cows tails every few months in the parlour , i see little wrong with it tbh and i think it looks a lot tidier too
    i used to think so too BUT just wondering if you have a cross compliance inspection would anything be said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

whelan1 wrote: »
    i used to think so too BUT just wondering if you have a cross compliance inspection would anything be said
    You will be penalised and it will be docked from your single farm payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭denis086

Yep theres a 1% penalty on all SFPs back to 2005 when it was introduced according to one of the inspectors that did our cross compliance inspection! We hadnt realised it wasnt allowed till he said it
    tbh i see nothing wrong with it so long as its just the tip thats taken off those ones there are a tad high imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

this is a comical argument imo in a country that condones the practise of halal meat in some of its abbatoires

Advertisement