Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar in the city for drinks on Friday evening

Options
  • 16-11-2011 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

OK, my family will be having dinner around the Stephen's Green area on Friday, 8 people ranging in age from 25 to about 60.

I'm looking for a bar that doesn't have loud music playing, but that could be ok if it was live music of a decent standard (covers/trad etc), which will have seating from about 10.30 onwards, and isn't too far of a walk from Stephen's Green. Anything more than about a 5-10 minute walk would have to be a no.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

O'Donoghue's on Merrion Row?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Neary's on Chatham Street? No music there - good spot for a chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

You can usually get a seat in The Duke (on Duke St) off Grafton St. There's no music there either so it's good for chatting.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Would Against The Grain's upstairs be an option?
    Free to rent I believe, no music but I'm sure they'd sort something out for you.
    Great beer too!

Alternativaly, O Donoghues is a good bet, perhaps The Wellington on Baggot St, though it's a bit far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I like the Against The Grain idea, but I don't want to ring them and book the upstairs (how big is it, my group is only 8), because we might not even turn up if we stay drinking wine in the restaurant for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Foleys on Merrion Row (across the road from O'Donoghue's) is usually quite quiet and fits the bill.

Neary's is a great shout too, that would probably be where I'd head, if it's full you have Sheehans across the road.

Also Houricans (on the corner of the Green and Leeson St) would be a good shout too, and there's another pub across the road that escapes my memory now.

Larry Murphy's (Baggot Street) is another too (although poorly named!).

There's a new pub with a great atmosphere on Westmoreland Street... Cassidy's it's called (beside Charlie Chinese), a good selection of Craft/Premium beers as well but might be too far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Des wrote: »
    I like the Against The Grain idea, but I don't want to ring them and book the upstairs (how big is it, my group is only 8), because we might not even turn up if we stay drinking wine in the restaurant for the night.

I think booking would be the way to go, Des.

I wouldn't have thought Nearys or especially O'Donoghues would have loads of seats that late on a Friday night.

Houricans is a nice pub as mentioned.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The dinner is more Nassau street, then Stephens Green :rolleyes: so, that Cassidy Place would be good, and its one the way home :)

http://www.cassidysbar.com/web/home.html

Friday night blues too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Buswell's Hotel on Moleworth's Street?

I was there on a Saturday night a few weeks ago. It was quiet enough - you'd be pretty much guaranteed seats I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Hotel bars in general tend to be quiet. You may get groups of people having a few, but they are often just starting before heading out for the night, so if you hang around seats will become free. The St. Stephen's Green Hotel at the corner of Harcourt Street and Cuffe Street would be good for where you are starting from. Usually very quiet on a Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

another vote for the duke, its a grand spot

Buswell's Hotel on Moleworth's Street?

I was there on a Saturday night a few weeks ago. It was quiet enough - you'd be pretty much guaranteed seats I'd say.

Good call.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Trinity Capital Hotel beside Pearse St Garda staion..its incredibly lavish inside yet quite reasonable for food and drink and usually very easy to find seats..they often have a piano player there too.

Bar upstairs in the Central Hotel (top of Exchequer Street where it meets South Great Georges street). Very old school and usually quiet when I have been in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

lxflyer wrote: »
    Neary's on Chatham Street? No music there - good spot for a chat!

Good spot for a sandwich too.

Advertisement