Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heads Up: 'Speeding' at Kilmacanogue.

Options
  • 16-11-2011 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I got a speeding fine toddling home from work at 07:40 last Saturday week at the 60 kph zone at the garage.Not a sinner on the road only me , the lads in the garage and the hero with the camera. I was doing 74kph (45mph in a 37 zone)

Just to make people aware they are there again.

Naturally I'm delighted. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Thanks for the heads up, have to be careful going through there now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I always look for the van parked up just behind the 200metre board, sneakily hiding on an entrance road just before the Kelly towing place. Because the entrance is slightly concealed, you don't see it until it's too late!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

At that hour of the morning after a shift I don't see much and had probably been driving at that speed since I left work. Usually just thinking about giving the kids a cuddle and hopping into bed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Probably the most policed stretch of road in North Wicklow, not sure why it should be a shock to be speed trapped.

Blind bend massive drop in speed, bingo! camera!

Summons to court I am assuming given you more than 10% over the limit.

Probably the most policed stretch of road in North Wicklow, not sure why it should be a shock to be speed trapped.

Not shocked.

Nor summmoned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Why do you say that? In the last 6 years i have only seen them check for speed once.

Any they do nowt about all the lovely folks who like to use the hard shoulder to beat the traffic every morning.

Why do you say that? In the last 6 years i have only seen them check for speed once.

Any they do nowt about all the lovely folks who like to use the hard shoulder to beat the traffic every morning.

The cops regularly sit at the garage with gun and at McDonnell farm to catch the hard shoulder folks

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

They can also be regularly seen in both these spots, worth keeping an eye out for them, too late now I suppose but watch your speed through that whole section and drop from 100 to 80 at Glen of the downs where an unmarked wine coloured toyota corolla saloon patrols both that stretch of road and the carpark at glen of the downs.

http://g.co/maps/q96tt and http://g.co/maps/qt3ss

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I wouldn't have said they're in Kilmac as much as they used to be, certainly since the introduction of the private speed camera's. Either that, or I haven't spotted them and have a rake of points coming. :eek:

Obviously, they upped the speed limit north bound, so not as many fish to be shot from behind that wall as there used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Not a speed cam but interesting live cam at Kilmac.
    http://michaelr.camstreams.com/

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Not a speed cam but interesting live cam at Kilmac.
    http://michaelr.camstreams.com/
    That was dead handy last winter during the snow - whether to bother trying or not.

I drive that stretch very regularly at various different times of the day and I haven't seem them for a long time. Hence the 'Heads up' title. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

In my experience before I left it used to be very common to see a speed check there over a year ago but in the previous year or so it had become a lot less common.

It's still a stupid limit and if you actually follow it, everybody will overtake you.
    The dangerous garage exit just before the off ramp is the problem and IMO the only reason the 60 is not 80 what with the pedestrian bridge being built.

The dangerous garage exit just before the off ramp is the problem and IMO the only reason the 60 is not 80 what with the pedestrian bridge being built.
    Yeah, it's a road stupid design, whoever came up with it. I've been waiting for them to put those spring mounted reflective bollards (like you see on some of the slips on the Naas Road) to force cars exiting the petrol station to do the sensible thing of going up and over. But I’d say I’ll be waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a road stupid design, whoever came up with it. I've been waiting for them to put those spring mounted reflective bollards (like you see on some of the slips on the Naas Road) to force cars exiting the petrol station to do the sensible thing of going up and over. But I’d say I’ll be waiting.

Definitely the way to go, like what they have done out in Lucan, do a streetview here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Glad to see the Gardai out doing their job. I travel through Kilmac twice a day and the speed that some traffic pass astounds me, you loose about 30 seconds slowing down for the duration of the speed restriction.

No driver who gets caught really has a defence. However, for me the issue in Kilmac is that the speed limit is to make up for the failings of a relatively new road design. They're not often there during rush hour when the poor layout impacts most - and even if they were, they'd be better off pulling the loons that go from stopped in the petrol station straight out into the driving lane, or the ignorant drivers that clog up the exit slip.

No driver who gets caught really has a defence. However, for me the issue in Kilmac is that the speed limit is to make up for the failings of a relatively new road design. They're not often there during rush hour when the poor layout impacts most - and even if they were, they'd be better off pulling the loons that go from stopped in the petrol station straight out into the driving lane, or the ignorant drivers that clog up the exit slip.

Or indeed the drivers who allow no one to pull out of the petrol station and regular cut people up as they aim for the slipway.

Or indeed the drivers who allow no one to pull out of the petrol station and regular cut people up as they aim for the slipway.
    The petrol station exit doesn't have right of way over the slip or the driving lane of the road, and nor should it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

as macy has said the traffic out of the petrol station doesnt have the right of way,
    i regularly use that slip and have found that if i use my indicator early to turn onto the slip at kellys recovery the traffic coming out of the petrol station automatically think you are indcating into the petrol station and then pull out in front of you hence hard jam-ons and rear endings,
    now i dont mind anyone having to pull out in front of me to get out as long as they put their bloody foot down and get a head of me and go up the slip way or head out on the hard shoulder and get up to regular traffic speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Exactly. In fact I suspect the reason that many people do leave it to the very last minute to dive off just as the slip road ends instead of doing it properly is for that very reason.

Personally I tend to leave getting into the slip lane a little later than I normally would so that I have a good, clear view of the exit and can see if there's anyone there who looks like they're trying to get out, and have my hand hovering over the horn just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

The biggest problem i encounter is when people are driving at normal speed (in both lanes) northbound, but when you pass by the Bray south exit and the road curves to the left, they slam on their breaks coming into Kilmac, presumably based upon the supposed reputation that the place is used for speed traps. Bloody dangerous.

No one should be slamming on brakes as its a drop from 100 to 60 not 100 to zero. Controlled driving what what..

On the topic of pulling out of the petrol station and indicating for the slipway...

Drivers wishing to take an exit are required to indicate for that exit only once they have passed any other exits in order to avoid confusing those wishing to pull out from said exits.

i.e. don't indicate at Kelly's otherwise people will think you are pulling in, indicate once past the petrol station. As everyone is doing 60 there should be plenty of time to do this. As the slipway is 50 you should already be slowing down further.

Also drivers in the inside lane of a dual carriageway are expected to pull into the outside lane before junctions in order to allow joining traffic merge into the inside lane.

And not, to match speed with the car pulling out and flash your lights and blow your horn thinking you are in the right.

Doesnt look like most drivers know this given the choc a block shenigans on the N11/M11 every morning and night.

There is a reason it is 60 thru there folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Drive in the left lane, right lane for overtaking - and if traffic is looking to join the dual carriage way, be courteous and move to the right lane.

Don't just move across to the right lane if there's nobody coming onto merge. Pi**es people off who like to drive in the right lane constant!

100 to 60km is a 40% drop in speed, if you fail know you're doing 100 as well as the guy in front, then you're being a little naive not to expect they might obey the speed limit!

P.S. when driving, you are always right, everyone else is wrong. :rolleyes:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

On the topic of pulling out of the petrol station and indicating for the slipway...

Drivers wishing to take an exit are required to indicate for that exit only once they have passed any other exits in order to avoid confusing those wishing to pull out from said exits.

i.e. don't indicate at Kelly's otherwise people will think you are pulling in, indicate once past the petrol station. As everyone is doing 60 there should be plenty of time to do this. As the slipway is 50 you should already be slowing down further.

Also drivers in the inside lane of a dual carriageway are expected to pull into the outside lane before junctions in order to allow joining traffic merge into the inside lane.

And not, to match speed with the car pulling out and flash your lights and blow your horn thinking you are in the right.

Doesnt look like most drivers know this given the choc a block shenigans on the N11/M11 every morning and night.

There is a reason it is 60 thru there folks.
    People coming out of the petrol station (or any junction) shouldn't assume that indication means they are pulling in and pull out anyway. They are coming out on an exit slip ffs.

50kph limit isn't until the top of the slip iirc.

Not sure drivers on the driving lane are expected to pull out for cars joining from an exit slip. And cars joining are expected to be up to a reasonable speed joining anyway, to merge in with the driving lane.

Any driver with any sense at all would go up and over when the roads are anyway busy. There's no justification for trying to pile out into the driving lane, or going over the hatched area and up the hard shoulder in an attempt to get up to speed.

People coming out of the petrol station (or any junction) shouldn't assume that indication means they are pulling in and pull out anyway. They are coming out on an exit slip ffs.

50kph limit isn't until the top of the slip iirc.

Not sure drivers on the driving lane are expected to pull out for cars joining from an exit slip. And cars joining are expected to be up to a reasonable speed joining anyway, to merge in with the driving lane.

Any driver with any sense at all would go up and over when the roads are anyway busy. There's no justification for trying to pile out into the driving lane, or going over the hatched area and up the hard shoulder in an attempt to get up to speed.

Slipway is all 50 from the top it's 40. It is not a slipway at the petrol station exit as highlighted by the road marking. It's this attitude go fast or get out of my way that causes the problems.
    Rules of the road and common sense would remove the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

It is not a slipway at the petrol station exit

it actually is,
    the slip lane actually starts with the yellow line back at the entrance to the petrol station

Slipway is all 50 from the top it's 40. It is not a slipway at the petrol station exit as highlighted by the road marking. It's this attitude go fast or get out of my way that causes the problems.
    Rules of the road and common sense would remove the issue.
    I don't think you're right on the speed limit, but sure I'll look this evening when driving past. You're also wrong on it not being a slip road.

Common sense would be firstly for the crap design to be addressed to force cars up the slip from the petrol station using the bollards as described earlier, as the common sense of drivers exiting the petrol station cannot be relied upon.

edit - The exit from the petrol station is on the exit slip, as per the road markings. The 50kph speed limit sign is at the top of the slip at the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

This is from WicklowNews.net, see here for the article.
    Sinn Fein county councillor John Brady has welcomed plans by Wicklow county council to develop a dedicated traffic lane on the N11 in Kilmacanaouge to facilitate cars turning out of the Topaz petrol station and other businesses along the southbound carriageway.

An application for funding to the National Roads Authority (NRA) will be made in the near future and if the scheme goes ahead it will remove the serious safety issues along this stretch of road by forcing all traffic coming out of the garage up the slip road for Kilmacanaouge before rejoining the N11 on the opposite side of the bridge.

Councillor John Brady said " The N11 passing through Kilmacanaouge going southbound is lethal because of traffic exiting from business premises which then tries to rejoin the fast moving traffic on the N11.

The Topaz petrol station poses a serious safety problem because the exit for the garage is onto the slip road for Kilmacanaouge Village and Roundwood, traffic travels along at this high speeds, the exiting traffic then cuts across onto the N11. There has been a large number of traffic accidents at this location and many near misses"

Cllr Brady continued "As the chairperson of the Bray Electoral Area Committee i have raised this issue on many occasions and i have looked for a solution to the serious safety issue.

In late 2011 Engineers from the roads section in Wicklow county council began designing a scheme that would address all the safety concerns at this location"

"The scheme will see a dedicated slip-road being developed using the hard shoulder.

The slip road will start before the businesses on the southbound lane just before Kilmacanaouge and will have a physical barrier or wall constructed between it and the N11.

All traffic looking to either use the petrol station, businesses or go across the flyover to Rounwood or into Kilmac village will have to enter the
    dedicated slip-road.

All traffic exiting the petrol station will have to turn left onto the slip-road, travel up the slipway for the flyover to Kilmac and down the other side to rejoin the N11, it will not be possible for traffic to re-enter onto the N11 directly from the petrol station " Brady continued

Cllr Brady concluded "This type of scheme is used along stretches of the Nass Bypass and it has greatly improved road safety.

The new slip-road will be one-way and will also have traffic calming included.

Once the planning of the scheme is completed an application for funding will be made to the National Roads Authority (NRA).

The NRA has identified this location on the N11 as a serious traffic hazard
    and hopefully they will make the funding available to allow the scheme
    proceed".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Sounds good!

Advertisement