Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to start enrolling in Schools?

Options
  • 16-11-2011 10:19am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My Son is 11 months old and I'm wondering what is the general consensus with getting him into a primary school? My partner is getting concerned that we should already have him enlisted somewhere at this stage.

We've just moved to a new area but we're not sure if we'll be staying here long term :confused: should we enroll him in a few different schools? Is that allowed?

Is there a chance that he could be left out in the cold if we don't act soon?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do it immediately!!
    We moved house so my eldest was 9 months old when I registered her and there is a good chance she will not get a place:(
    Find out the enrollment policies eg siblings get priority.
    If you are not being overly fussy about the school you are fine or some schools only accept enrollments the year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

depends where you live...

I enrolled my first when she was a few months old for Sept 2004, however when she was 3 i spoke to the school in late August 2003 and she was enrolled in the september 2003. When i had my son i enrolled him at the same school at 2 months of age, after i enrolled him a new scheme was bought in where you have to apply to the town council first they have to approve it before its sent to the school. the schools can have interest forms filled out so in the Feb before they are due to start that the parents are sent the enrollment forms.

I also enrolled my boys in a different school (a country school) at ages 3 and 2 and they were the first applications in.

check it out with the school in the area first.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

I think it really depends on location. I know in Navan for example not only do you need to enrolled them in primary very early but also secondary schools and even at that it can be a lottery, literally. We are in Kinnegad and there was no rush here for some of the more country schools, like coralstown, killyon etc. They are crying out for enrollments. My advice contact all the schools in your area and ask them what the procedure is, also contact the secondary schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Think it depends on the school!
    I rang my local primary school at the start of september and they said they dont takes names until the January o fthe year they would be starting. My boys are 7 months now so cant put their names down for a few years yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son is almost 10 months old and we've put his name down for 3 educate together schools in the area when he was a few months old. We may not be living here but just in case. If we moved down the country to my parents he'd get a place in the local school but educate together is our preference which is why we naught stay in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

ASAP. Many schools are siblings and then first come, first served so get moving. Ring whatever schools you are thinking of and see what their policy is. Some schools only take pre-enrolement the year before they begin. Our is siblings and then first come and we already have names for 2016!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Cheers for the replies :)

Advertisement