Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the M17 Athenry Tuam road go ahead?

Options
  • 16-11-2011 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Does anyone know what stage this is at?

I see that the proposed rd will be going very close to our house. I will destroy our view. How do I get information on this.

I contacted the NRA but havn't heard anything yet.

How close to houses can a motorway be put?

Should we have been told by the auctioneer that teh Motorway would be going past the house. The view is one of the main reasons we bought the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

From what I can gather is that the project is still going ahead and escaped the cuts to capital project spending announced last week.

There's a good thread on here that I have a look at from time to time and recent posts suggest that works won't start until 2013.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055673984&page=62

I don't know how close they can locate the road to your house, it may be worthwhile seeking advice from a local (civil?) engineer who would be familiar with things like this.

From a house buyer's point of view, I would definitely have wanted to be informed by the agent or vendor directly about any proposed development in the area around the house. Not sure if you have any case against them if you didn't ask when viewing, but again I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Thanks for your reply.

2013 is not that far away. The construction will prob take a couple of years so the access roads will prob be left in poor repair if I know anything.

I am annoyed with the auctioneer to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

I know they'll be started before we know it really. Are you living at the Tuam or Athenry end of the motorway? The roads out in Tuam are in a bad enough state already what with "the big dig" going on - more fun times ahead when the heavy machinery trundles in to build the motorway.

Have you spoken to the auctioneer to see if they have detailed maps of proposed route and/or any other land for sale along the route? At least that will at least imply that they should be telling any future buyers about what's going to be happening/built.

Auctioneers keeping schtum to get a sale finalised is an old (and infuriating) practice. (**some not all, before any angry MIIAVI members rant**)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Unfortunately its up to yourself to find out these things. You also don't buy a view with a house. Chances are the house was priced below cost because of the proximity of the motorway, if something is cheaper than expected there is usually a reason and it wild require further investigation on your part.

Auctioneer is not obliged to tell you unless you ask them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

About ten years ago I was looking at a house that I ended up not buying. It was near the route of the M6 and the auctioneer told us it was less than a mile from the new motorway so it would be "handy for getting in to town". I'm not sure if it was anywhere near any junction that would get us on to the motorway but he was keen to make it a selling point anyway.

Your auctioneer should really have told you that, it would be unprofessional not to. Some are strangers to professionalism though :(

Plans do get put on public display before they go ahead but often people don't check them and some prefer to complain afterwards rather than objecting when they had a chance (not putting you in that group OP).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

I was about to sign the contracts but met a local who informed me that we would be very close to the new motorway. This came as a huge surprise to me as i thought it was further away.

I have put off signing until further investigation. I now have the maps and there is about 2 fields between house and proposed motorway.

Should we argue price down based on this? We have deposit paid.

head the wall, the house wsa not below cost by any means. We paid more that what another house was going for in same area as the view was better!! It was a nicer site but with a motorway in the way, that is that theory gone out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Unfortunately its up to yourself to find out these things. Auctioneer is not obliged to tell you unless you ask them directly.
    +1. An auctioneer is hardly going to start blabbing on about how your view is going to be ruined or how the pipes leak in the winter. Caveat Emptor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

darabbit wrote: »

Absolutely and €10k extra discount for not being told ...tell the auctioneer it is his own fault for trying a fast one...but now you know! Also make sure somehow the owner hears directly that it is the auctioneers fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Should give it a go at least. If anything having land near a motorway could increase the value of it over time if it attracts business into the area. Although it could also mean you'll be crowded in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

most of the proposed motorway land has been fenced of allready. all the land has been bought and paid for since since early this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

don't buy it.
    can't imagine having a house next to a motorway , imagine having a barbecue during the 3 sunny days a year we get here with the sound of passing cars nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

iwsf wrote: »
    don't buy it.
    can't imagine having a house next to a motorway , imagine having a barbecue during the 3 sunny days a year we get here with the sound of passing cars nearby.

If they toll it, you won't need to worry about too many cars..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

Thanks for your reply.

2013 is not that far away. The construction will prob take a couple of years so the access roads will prob be left in poor repair if I know anything.

I am annoyed with the auctioneer to say the least.

I'm not 100% sure but should your solicitor not of informed you about the road before purchase. don't they do searches for planning issues rights of way and such. A friend of mine was told by his solicitor about proposed wind turbines close to a house he was going to purchase not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamartin

It is your solicitors responsibilty to gather that information on the searches they carry out not the auctioneers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I do deliveries to a house which is right under the M6 Motorway at the Kiltullagh exit. The embankment litterally comes down to the back garden wall.
    The owner was very bothred to begin with as he thought it would create noise pollution. He says you would hardly know it was there. He says the Loudest noise is the whistle from roof racks.
    The thing you should look into is the elevation . Will you be above it or will it be raised in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

The solicitor charges you a fee for research when you buy a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

dvae wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure but should your solicitor not of informed you about the road before purchase. don't they do searches for planning issues rights of way and such. A friend of mine was told by his solicitor about proposed wind turbines close to a house he was going to purchase not so long ago.

The solicitor is required to investigate the proposed site & anything that directly impacts on this particular site such as Right of Way etc. A motorway which is being built two fields away wouldn't really fall into this category. Some solicitors may take into account the wider area but I'd imagine most will concentrate on the site boundaries & their close proximities.

Advertisement