Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing Wood Products

• 16-11-2011 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to source skirting/architrave and a couple of oak doors for a kitchen revamp. The skirting is std. stock 6" red deal which I hope to stain to an oak type finish.

I'm aware of the local(Limerick) hardware providers but can anyone recommend one in particular - quality above cost is more important for me. Delivery would also be a factor.

Tks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

coxy123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to source skirting/architrave and a couple of oak doors for a kitchen revamp. The skirting is std. stock 6" red deal which I hope to stain to an oak type finish.

I'm aware of the local(Limerick) hardware providers but can anyone recommend one in particular - quality above cost is more important for me. Delivery would also be a factor.

Tks.

Slightly off topic.

Why would you go for red deal and then stain it oak? Would white deal not be cheaper and easier to stain? Maybe better ask about this aspect of the job in the DIY forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

In House @ The Pannelling Centre on the Old Ballysimon Road.

Most of the better kitchen fitters and kitchen supply companies get their stuff in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

phog wrote: »
    Slightly off topic.

Why would you go for red deal and then stain it oak? Would white deal not be cheaper and easier to stain? Maybe better ask about this aspect of the job in the DIY forum.

Hadn't thought about that phog...tks. for replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

Slightly off topic.

Hi.

White deal might be a lot cheaper, but I'd try staining test samples of red and white deal first to see the results. White deal, from my experience, doesn't stain as well as red deal, with very inconsistent results. With red deal, a darker stain might be required to disguise the characteristics of the wood, and also try to avoid timber with knots for the same reason. Compare any test samples against the oak finish you're trying to emulate before making a decision...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Have to say that I found the Woodwork Store in Thomondgate very good a few years back when sourcing some 6" skirting board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

woody_2000 wrote: »
    Hi.

White deal might be a lot cheaper, but I'd try staining test samples of red and white deal first to see the results. White deal, from my experience, doesn't stain as well as red deal, with very inconsistent results. With red deal, a darker stain might be required to disguise the characteristics of the wood, and also try to avoid timber with knots for the same reason. Compare any test samples against the oak finish you're trying to emulate before making a decision...

One of the problems in getting timber delivered is that you take what the deliver rather pick out your own unmarked/clean/no knots pieces.

I think varnishing red deal makes it look great but staining can be bothersome as the timber can have so many variations in colour and how it absorbs the stain.

One of the problems in getting timber delivered is that you take what the deliver rather pick out your own unmarked/clean/no knots pieces.

I think varnishing red deal makes it look great but staining can be bothersome as the timber can have so many variations in colour and how it absorbs the stain.

I can't comment on a particular delivery situation, or the timber selection available - but maybe testing different wood/stain combinations might be an idea before deciding on what to do. It's been a while since I've done any wood related work, but any time I've used white deal I've usually found it more suitable for painting rather than staining. I've found staining results with white deal to be inconsistent and patchy -- but this is just my own personal experience. Red deal can also be very nice unstained and darkens nicely over time with an appropriate coating (i.e. one that doesn't offer UV protection from sunlight).

My point is to maybe try out a few different wood/stain sample combinations before making a final decision - and maybe use slightly larger samples to get a better idea of what involved. Rgds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

We finished a big renovation earlier this year.

We got our internal doors from Nenagh Doors (the site says prehung but the majority of their doors are now not prehung). They were the best value, best quality and they were far easier to deal with than a number of the Limerick companies we approached. http://www.nenaghprehungdoors.com/

In terms of wood, we used McMahons on the Dock Road. Again they were exceptionally easy to deal with. Staff were lovely, deliveries were made when said, prices were excellent and we're happy with the quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Alternative to oak.
    I often use poplar instead of red deal because it is available in long lengths free from knots and defects. It machines very well, and is easily painted or stained , and the finish is extremely high quality. The wood is easily avauilable and any local Joinery should be able to machine it for you.
    It's a small bit more expensive than deal, but a fraction of what oak costs.
    Get some clean samples from a local Joinery and try out some stains.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Alternative to oak.
    I often use poplar instead of red deal because it is available in long lengths free from knots and defects. It machines very well, and is easily painted or stained , and the finish is extremely high quality. The wood is easily avauilable and any local Joinery should be able to machine it for you.
    It's a small bit more expensive than deal, but a fraction of what oak costs.
    Get some clean samples from a local Joinery and try out some stains.

Poplar was the first thing that came to my mind when I came across this thread, but thought the price difference might not justify its use -- however if it's cheap enough it might be worth considering. Poplar is a light coloured hardwood that's mostly associated with painting, and staining is something that might need to be carefully considered/evaluated. Again, testing samples might be the best idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement