Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for somebody to make a garden gate

Options
  • 16-11-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi

Am looking for somebody to make a wooden garden gate.
    Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

When you say a garden gate, what exactly do you mean?
    I mean would a simple garden gate that you could be shown how to make it yourself suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 beamee

I need a gate at side of house, above head height, but nothing fancy.I would love to make it myself but haven't done anything like that before and wouldn't have tools although I could maybe borrow some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

hey, it's well worth doing it yourself. I'd never done this before last summer but needed to do a few bits around the house so first up did a boiler room door (slotted panels) which was not too bad and gave me the confidence to do a small garden gate (pressure treated picket fence type).

With my confidence at an all time high someone asked me as a favour to put up a set of drive way gates for an empty small cottage just so it didn't look abaondoned. That was trickier and must have spent a full day at it but was delighted with result. It's not going to last real long or anything but it suited the needs.

Garden gate was about €20 on materials and driveway prob about €90.

It's surprisingly rewarding to do something like this and have a very real tangible result at the end which you can take pride in.

I'm not a diy expert and borrowed most of the tools from my dad, the stuff you'll need for it (might have left a few bits out)

wood screws (you could use nails i preferred not to)
    hammer action power drill (attach gate to wall)
    masonry drill bit (drilling into concrete)
    cordless drill (to put your timber together)
    hinges
    someone to give you a hand hanging it up
    pencil for marking
    rawl plugs
    timber lengths
    extension lead
    spirit level
    latch
    jigsaw (nice but not essential)
    safety glasses
    a plan!

I bought all timber in mchales on way to calry it was surprisingly cheap i was expecting to pay way more. Everything else i bought in connaught gold, always good quality and best value in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GabionGarden

Hello I can recommend you very good products from website:
    <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

Contact Aspect Garden Construction (01 8320206) they make custom made gates, trellis, fencing and so on for high end gardens. The quality of their work is second to none. Honest you will not find better. We get them to make hardwood planters, simply the best available in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

OP, if you give some idea of what part of Sligo you're in, someone on here may know an out of work carpenter near you. They can't all be gone to Oz!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Beamee just sent you PM>

Advertisement