Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mince pies pastry?

Options
  • 16-11-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, I'm going to make mince pies this weekend and freeze them in time for Christmas, I think the traditional pastry for mince pies is shortcrust, does anyone have any advice on which pastry is best? Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Shortcrust is traditional - and is lovely if you can make a good buttery one.

Filo pastry is nice too, but is a lot more fiddley.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Shortcrust is the traditional pastry, but to be honest, I prefer puff pastry. They end up much lighter and not as stodgy. The added benefit being that you can buy the pastry frozen, make the mince pies and bake with the minimum of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I hate puff pastry for sweet things - no idea why, I like it on everything savoury :)

Just goes to show, you should use whichever one you like best - they'll be yummy whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

For mince pies, I would used a shortcrust pastry made with a tablespoon of icing sugar and an egg ( and lots of butter, of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Mmnnn...interesting, I might give both types a whirl and see, its not like they will go to waste! Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement