Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible future German Chancellor is british!

• 16-11-2011 11:34am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15737185
    By 2020, all the British soldiers stationed in Germany will have come back to the UK, the Ministry of Defence has announced. But the offspring of soldiers who stayed on after World War II or returned there in the years that followed are making their mark in German society, says Chris Bowlby.
    Helmut Kohl, Gerhard Schroeder, Angela Merkel.
    The roll call of recent chancellors in Berlin has a properly Germanic ring to it.
    So it would be a bit of a shock if one of the future occupants of that post was named… David McAllister.
    But that is just what could happen, as Mr McAllister, currently prime minister of the state of Lower Saxony, is one of the brightest prospects in Germany's Christian Democratic Union party.
    An Irish republicans worst nightmare! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Well the queen is German so its quid pro quo really isnt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

not just the queen the whole royal family is german,

only changed the last name after ww1... or 2

one of them anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Saxe-Coburg und Gotha is as British as Yorkshire Pudding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Why would it be an Irish Republicans nightmare? A German republicans nightmare maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Why????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

So once again, the British are gonna make a mess of Germany. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

future british queen is german

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's like an international swingers party without contraception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Wonder what Dads Army would make of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

[DERRY ACCENT]BRITS OUT![/DERRY ACCENT]

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why would it be an Irish Republicans nightmare? A German republicans nightmare maybe.
    Apanachi wrote: »
    Why????

He supports Rangers (not citing this as a reason of cours, but... you know... football paranoai and all that....)

Oh, and he's also German according to the same article. So what this boils down to is a name.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

maybe op meant irish publicans who have bars in Germany....

i don't know why that would make a difference but ummmm i'm sure AH could make one up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    He supports Rangers (not citing this as a reason of cours, but... you know... football paranoai and all that....)

Oh, and he's also German according to the same article. So what this boils down to is a name.
    I don't think Irish Republicanism is about football somehow, or German christians for that matter. No connection at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't think Irish Republicanism is about football somehow, or German christians for that matter. No connection at all.

It;s always about football!! Seriously, though, it has connections (probably the football couold do without), but yeah, I know what you mean.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Don't you mean wurst nightmare? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

He points out that the current German Vice-Chancellor and head of the Free Democrat Party, Philipp Rösler, is of Vietnamese origin.
    Hurry up someone, start a thread on boards.vn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

dont worry i bet we would never get a british irish president,would we ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Who do you think will be pulling the strings of the Eurozone in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

AMAZING FACT OF THE DAY:

Apparently it may come as a shock to some people but Irish Republicans actually don't have an inbuilt blind hatred of all things British and Rangers related!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

trish23 wrote: »
    Wonder what Dads Army would make of it :)

♪♫ "Who do you think you are kidding Mr. Cameron,
    if you think old Deutschland's done?" ♪♫

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Next thing the pope will turn out to be a nazi..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

AMAZING FACT OF THE DAY:

Apparently it may come as a shock to some people but Irish Republicans actually don't have an inbuilt blind hatred of all things British and Rangers related!

Orly??

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Next thing the pope will turn out to be a nazi..
    to republicans that hasent got the same impact,but if he was british

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Are you feeling alright? How would any Irish person, never mind republican give a shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Orly??

Yes really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Soccer fans just merely winding up visiting supporters.

Back in Euro 88, I remember these same German fans hunting in packs hoping to do serious harm to any England supporter they came upon.

mongoman wrote: »
    Soccer fans just merely winding up visiting supporters.

Back in Euro 88, I remember these same German fans hunting in packs hoping to do serious harm to any England supporter they came upon.

I know (hang on, only the English have football hooligans??!!??) but with Britain, Germany, Rangers and Irish Republicans all getting a mention, I though it was an appropriate time to throw this out there.

I know (hang on, only the English have football hooligans??!!??) but with Britain, Germany, Rangers and Irish Republicans all getting a mention, I though it was an appropriate time to throw this out there.

I expected nothing less.

• Advertisement

I expected nothing less.
    be fair this thread was posted to do a bit of brit-bashing,only problem is that it was a own goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

AMAZING FACT OF THE DAY:

theres always one

I expected nothing less.

Wow Mr serious, let's turn that frown upside down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

When did Germany ever interfere in Irish republicanism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

orourkeda wrote: »

about lunchtime today (Irishtime) :cool:

cosmicfart wrote: »
    about lunchtime today (Irishtime) :cool:

Yeah. Awesome development on the irish republicanism front I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They've probably spent more time interfering with the Republic than the time they spent in WW1 and WW2 interfering with republicanism.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They've probably spent more time interfering with the Republic than the time they spent in WW1 and WW2 interfering with republicanism.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Mr. McAllister is, it seems, half-Scottish, not a bit English. That makes him more or less kith-and-kin to us Irish. Good luck to him.:):):)

What?

In WW1 and WW2 they were backing Irish republicanism, and ever since Ireland joined the EEC/EU, they've been interfering in the Republic, which they now own.

do people in ireland still believe that they are independant ? the EU says jump and you jump.your laws regulations,control on what you spend,what you can and cannot do,are directed from brussels,we may one day end up with a one ireland ,but it will be run and governed from europe,not dublin or belfast, your passport will not say irish ,it will say EU citizen.

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    do people in ireland still believe that they are independant ? the EU says jump and you jump.your laws regulations,control on what you spend,what you can and cannot do,are directed from brussels,we may one day end up with a one ireland ,but it will be run and governed from europe,not dublin or belfast, your passport will not say irish ,it will say EU citizen.

Same as the UK then, except for the currency?

Wow Mr serious, let's turn that frown upside down.

Missing the point as usual I see, but aren't we a little touchy. I merely stated the obvious.

Same as the UK then, except for the currency?
    but we are awake to the fact,and most of us are fed up in throwing away money at the eurozone wasters,why do you think there is a big support for a referendum.?

getz wrote: »
    but we are awake to the fact,and most of us are fed up in throwing away money at the eurozone wasters,why do you think there is a big support for a referendum.?

That's why you're not going to get a referendum.

That's why you're not going to get a referendum.
    yes any british goverment knows that on a free vote on the EU,the british would vote a big no,but if the likes of the french get their own way those in the eurozone who are not paying their way will be out anyway,so irelands future may be going in a different direction,

Strange world really...

The Middle East had an "Arab Spring" where Autocratic/Dictatorship leaders were overthrown, and replaced (going to be replaced) by democratic governments.

While here we have the "European Autumn" where democratic leaders replaced by unelected Autocrats!

Is the EU turning into a dictatorship!

Strange world really...

The Middle East had an "Arab Spring" where Autocratic/Dictatorship leaders were overthrown, and replaced (going to be replaced) by democratic governments.

While here we have the "European Autumn" where democratic leaders replaced by unelected Autocrats!

Is the EU turning into a dictatorship!
    yes one big masonic lodge

In WW1 and WW2 they were backing Irish republicanism, and ever since Ireland joined the EEC/EU, they've been interfering in the Republic, which they now own.

Possibly because they are paying for it to a large degree.

What does a half scottish future german chancellor have to do with Nazi backing of the IRA during world war 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Celtic have close ties with St. Pauli, that is one of the main reasons why the HSV fans would have had those banners on display

Advertisement