Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is your skyrim amazing?

• 16-11-2011 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I was having a discussion with a friend on this as to wither the hype and excitement has brainwashed us into believing this game is actually more superior then it actually is.

No this question is primarily aimed as the PC version of the game as i can't claim to have experiences the mass amount of flaws in console version.

Now lets looks at some facts.

-The Character is buggy, has missing animations, missing sword holster..etc

-The combat really doesn't play well (i mean common if your a sword player its swing or block) there is no combination or complication, its simple and to top this off, to do anything outside the normal swing, it becomes forced turn based play anyway! because of forced pausing to chug pots, switch weapon or spell

-The Ui is, well ****e! i've not encountered a more awkward menu system and based on the combat point it actually helps to break the combat system too

-The said potential spell combinations are preety much non exsistant, i dunno about you guys but i was hoping for things like have earth in 1 hand, fire in another, combine to have fireball!

-Stealth quite literally breaks the ai altogether..that being said even without stealth the AI is broken,

-Companions are more annoying the useful, there pathing is something from a 10 year old game and there ability to block you in a tight spot getting you killed is beyond frustrating

-Lastly the sheer amount of bugs in the game, and i mean lots! lots lots more then one would perhaps expect from a 3xA title (inc bugs, disappearing items, saving issues..ect)

YET! bar all of this... I truly love this game!

The graphics are amazing, the story telling is amazing, the music is amazing, the fact it has dragons is amazing and of course the lust for power is extremely satisfying, there are hundreds of small details that make you go wow, from seeing salmon jump up a river to a barbarian taunting you with his shield!

So i beg to question, why are these reasons alone making the game awesome, to the point we ignore all, in what would be the majority of cases, actual game destroying issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I think the UI is great...

I use wasd to move and q, e and tab to select or escape...

Don't use the mouse!

I have yet to encounter a bug.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

I think the UI is fine. Having no problems with it.

Haven't come across any major Bug's yet. One that does annoy me is when in Shallow Water your character seems to bob up and down randomly between the surface and just below it. Move an inch to the left or right and it correct's itself.

The fighting has come along way since Morrowind all those years ago. It's never been the series' strong point to begin with. And I wasn't expecting a massive upgrade with Skyrim..

I probably am ignoring (Unconscionably) alot of minute bugs and glitches. But they're all very small things in a simply Massive game.

You name me a game that doesn't have Bug's and Glitches.

What Skyrim has done is simple. For every Con you have 10 Pro's. Probably more.
    Your asking for the impossible. A perfect game. Settle for what we have. And what will be fixed. A near perfect game. And Salute them for it.

I've yet to find a game where, when my Girlfriend asked me a simple question in passing, I whispered a reply, why? Not sure but I'm fairly sure it has something to with the fact at the time I counting the foot steps of a guard on the other side of a wall and trying not to get caught! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'd not call any of those game destroying, some of them are annoying yes (esp the path finding for the companion). Fingers crossed they patch out most of these.

I'm really surprised how bug free it is for a game of this size – except for a ctd (but I'd forgive one in 13 hours). I remember Oblivion having many more teething problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Coz its freaking Skyrim man!!

I'm an elder scrolls biatch!! I just love how the game is so immersive.. hours go by in mins when you play this!!

I love how the world is literally yours to do what you want!

I love how you are not tied down to a story line!

I love how you can accept/reject to do quests and if you do accept, you can just ignore them for months and come back to them!

I just absolutely love how it is not a linear game.. you dont follow a set path, you dont just follow a story.. Everyone ones game is unique to them!! no 2 games are the same!!

Very few games can offer that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

Now i am curious!!!
    Why are you lot not experiencing these bugs?
    I mean I've actually managed to fly into the distance on my horse!
    Mobs have disappears infront of me on 10% hp very often, and crashing, omg the crashing, aswell as several quests forcing game to just shut down.
    I'm starting to wonder if its windows related.

I agree the menu is a more personal preference thing, pc and macro swaping kinda go hand in hand, removal of that in many cases is blasphemy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

That's what I'm thinking myself Angeles.

What are your PC Specs? Or are you on a Laptop?

My own game has been running perfectly fine. Bar 1 crash when I originally installed it. And that was more than likely due to background programmes I had running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

The only thing I've found wrong so far is that the UI is designed to be used with a control pad rather than keyboard and mouse. I've had no crashing, no bugs, nothing. I had a companion who was quite annoying, so I killed her.

I can never really be too angry with an elder scrolls game for being buggy on release, because the modders will sort out what the developers can't / won't. Just looking at Morrowind fully modded to today's standards, it's amazing the difference. Better looking than vanilla Oblivion, easily.

Combat, still a negative point, but I don't see how it could be done much better while still keeping the freedom of movement etc. the game provides.

PC specs are:
    Core 2 Duo 3.1ghz
    4gb ram
    64bit Windows 7 ultimate
    ati 4890hd (I think, recent swap from an 8800gts)

Running at 1080p

A few slight slowdowns but nothing approaching unplayable. Looking back on the machine I played through Oblivion on when it came out, this is a much smoother experience.

TPD wrote: »
    The only thing I've found wrong so far is that the UI is designed to be used with a control pad rather than keyboard and mouse.
    • Move up W
    • Move down S
    • Move Left A
    • Move Right D
    • Select E
    • Back TAB

I have seen so much bitching about the UI, don't use the ****ing mouse! Use the keyboard!!!!!1 :D

PC specs are:
    Core 2 Duo 3.1ghz
    4gb ram
    64bit Windows 7 ultimate
    ati 4890hd (I think, recent swap from an 8800gts)

Running at 1080p

A few slight slowdowns but nothing approaching unplayable. Looking back on the machine I played through Oblivion on when it came out, this is a much smoother experience.

I understand this may sound pedantic but 1080p doesn't really apply to PC as much as consoles. I'm playing Skyrim in 1080p but the actual resolution is 2560 x 1440 (27" iMac) which is double the pixel density of 1080p, so if you have your game at a very high resolution it may also affect performance.

Dermighty wrote: »
    I understand this may sound pedantic but 1080p doesn't really apply to PC as much as consoles. I'm playing Skyrim in 1080p but the actual resolution is 2560 x 1440 (27" iMac) which is double the pixel density of 1080p, so if you have your game at a very high resolution it may also affect performance.

I've tried again with the keyboard + mouse and it's not so bad as my first impression. Back to using them now.

I was using 1080p as shorthand for 1920x1080, I'm playing on my TV and the computer is outputting at the TV's native resolution. Are you intentionally running at a lower resolution than your monitor can support?

I've tried again with the keyboard + mouse and it's not so bad as my first impression. Back to using them now.

I was using 1080p as shorthand for 1920x1080, I'm playing on my TV and the computer is outputting at the TV's native resolution. Are you intentionally running at a lower resolution than your monitor can support?

Max res on a 27" imac (2011 model) is the one I'm using (2560x1440), I have a Radeon 6970 HD 2048MB graphics card, 8 gigs of ram, quad 3.4GHz i5 processor. It runs with everything on ultra (antialiasing and anisotropic filtering off) perfectly.

• Advertisement

Dermighty wrote: »
    Max res on a 27" imac (2011 model) is the one I'm using (2560x1440), I have a Radeon 6970 HD 2048MB graphics card, 8 gigs of ram, quad 3.4GHz i5 processor. It runs with everything on ultra (antialiasing and anisotropic filtering off) perfectly.

So you're not running at 1080p? Pretty sure 1080p is just a short way of saying 1920x1080.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I absolutely love this game, I go for a "quick game" and suddenly it's 7am.

One thing that kinda has me confused is the lack of customizable character traits... I was looking forward to the old list of perception, will, strength etc. I'm so sure that it's there, I'm kinda wondering did I miss it or something.
    I understand skills improve with use, but it really hinders the character side of things, there's no "I'm weak, but really really smart, I'm in it for the long haul" kind of thing.

Feels like the whole thing is kinda edging towards the Fable end of things.

Still a great game, but it does make me wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Anakranox

Because this game is amazing, I could play this game for 40 more hours and sit down and have a conversation with a buddy who put the same amount of hours in and have little or no overlap of experience whatsoever.
    About 35 hours in, :D
    One CTD, I think the menu is fine, and experienced very few glitches/bugs

Running:
    intel quad core i-7 2.4
    16gb memory
    2gb Radeon mobile 6990

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Lets face it Bethesda are masters of making buggy awesome games,and the awesome far out weighs the bugs everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

The fog and cloud effects are brilliant, have a look at this in hd if you can.

The thing that bugs me is the camera placement in first person view. I picked an elf who is much taller than most characters but i'm always looking up to them. Its like the camera is placed around my characters neck level.

But that's just a little thing. I'm loving this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Running on a 9800gtx with a q6600 intel chip 2.3ghz, Asus commando motherboard and only 2gb ram (plus a 3gb memory stick but I'm not sure if that helps) on win 7 pro 64bit at 1360x768 and the game runs very well. I popped it on ultra just to see and it's perfect in the wilds (and freaking jaw dropping). in cities it drops considerably but wouldn't be impossible to play.

I've seen several bugs so far, nothing game breaking by a long chalk. A few NPCs popping around in front of me and I broke the blacksmithing quest on my second run when I thought I could sharpen the knife before he tells me too, he just tells you still to go sharpen it and then you dont get the dialogue to continue the quest. not much else Ive seen so far.

The NPC Pathing is a little jinky, though but it hasn't been breaking the illusion for me. companions getting in the way too but as a wielder of the black arts I'd still rather have them :)

Shadows look a little weird even on ultra they sometimes look off on certain surfaces - could be my card here though as it's no spring chicken, though.

I Hated the UI at first, found it terrible clunky but I've since just gotten used to it and am flying. I kind of expect a lot of pausing and micro management when I play an RPG. I'm pretty sure you can if you like go with with heavy armour and easily brute force your way through it with less Pausing. I went with a squishy just because I like that style of play.

The Game crashes to desktop every so often, I'm to believe, it's only happened me once so far but the save game was still there when I returned.

All in all I think the game's fabulous and will be even better with each patch and mods. The mountains from whiterun are just a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Angeles

Falcon.ie wrote: »
    That's what I'm thinking myself Angeles.

What are your PC Specs? Or are you on a Laptop?
    RichieC wrote: »
    Running on a 9800gtx with a q6600 intel chip 2.3ghz, Asus commando motherboard and only 2gb ram (plus a 3gb memory stick but I'm not sure if that helps) on win 7 pro 64bit

I'm preety much running a 9800gt on 3.2gig duo core
    Anyway i still get alot of crashes which is the only real bug that bugs me..the main difference is i'm still on vista!!! i mean who uses that??!
    Decided to make a movie on some of the other fun glitches just for shows sake ;)

Advertisement