Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4 weanling heifers that I am thinking of keeping on for breeding

• 14-11-2011 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

Half embarassed to put up pictures of our stock comparing them to the likes of bizzum and muckit but here goes :)

Photo0147.jpg

Photo0149.jpg

Photo0151.jpg

Photo0153.jpg

A cow here that got a rupture the other day. Pity because she is a fairly good breeding cow

Photo0148.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

No reason in the wide earthly world to feel one bit embarassed. Different strokes for different folks, with any of us it's constant development over time. It'a a marathon........Not a sprint.
    I've no doubt but some of those red heifers you're keeping for the bull have the potential to breed smashing stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

grand healthy job for cattle being out there instead of housed,is it a big job to get in as far as them every day herding or gathering them all up if needs be? or would ye have much trouble with murren etc. I know a chap that has a winterage, one of his bullocks died over the winter, they had to report him stolen as they had no way to get a tractor to him to bring him out the place was so remote and I think it was the only way to avoid a paperwork headache

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

what did they do, bury him?

bury..no chance of that up there..he stayed where he laid as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

grand healthy job for cattle being out there instead of housed,is it a big job to get in as far as them every day herding or gathering them all up if needs be? or would ye have much trouble with murren etc. I know a chap that has a winterage, one of his bullocks died over the winter, they had to report him stolen as they had no way to get a tractor to him to bring him out the place was so remote and I think it was the only way to avoid a paperwork headache

No were lucky in that the most of ours is near the road. A lot of tracks made through place through the burren life so access is pretty good most places. our cows will come when we call them so rounding up isint a problem either. Murren is a b*tch of a thing. The cattle that are reared here are immune but bought in stock will get it. A neighbour of mine bought 18 bullocks a few years ago and decided buying limestone cattle was only a cod of a job. Bought the cattle out of liscannor/lahinch side and 6 of them died in a month. Its a bit of a balls because its hard to find quality limestone cattle and you will pay well for them. Someone from the DVO will come out and take a sample of the spinal cord if its not possible to bring them to the knackery, Dont think theres that much paperwork involved. As for burying them....youd want a good sledge:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Redz,
    I always wondered myself, how do you herd them in the winter, or count them as we say down our way. OK for the full time farmer, but what about the part-timer? It's one thing to be heading out into the yard on a dark's winter evening, but heading out over the hills with a flashlamp.

You you know of anyone using Bayticol for Redwater? Would it work for bought in cattle, I wonder.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Redz,
    I always wondered myself, how do you herd them in the winter, or count them as we say down our way. OK for the full time farmer, but what about the part-timer? It's one thing to be heading out into the yard on a dark's winter evening, but heading out over the hills with a flashlamp.

You you know of anyone using Bayticol for Redwater? Would it work for bought in cattle, I wonder.

I spose a lot of the part time lads would have sheds built and a lot would be self employed and thats a bit more flexible. Not everyone here has winterage and some winterages are lethal to be honest, people wouldnt let cattle on them because they are too rough. I cant think of anyone working full time near me so cant really say how they operate. I find herding grand, Nothing like walking a few miles over rough ground to keep the gut at bay;). We calve the most of the cows in the winterage so I know all about heading over the hills with the flashlamp but thats mainly because we dont have a shed to put them in. Is bayticol a pour on? The amount of ticks is unreal. Walk through it in the summer and you could pull ten of them off your legs that evening. Its difficult to combat that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ya, Bayticol is a pouron. It was disussed on here before;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056272441

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Half embarassed to put up pictures of our stock comparing them to the likes of bizzum and muckit but here goes :)

Photo0147.jpg

Photo0149.jpg

Photo0151.jpg

Photo0153.jpg

A cow here that got a rupture the other day. Pity because she is a fairly good breeding cow

Photo0148.jpg

Pity about the cow with the rupture. I assume you will get her to a factory asap?

Ya, Bayticol is a pouron. It was disussed on here before;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056272441

How often would you have to do them with it though. It doesnt sound ideal really. Do you know anything about Imizol. Is that in the form of an injection. Think the neighbour got it for a charolais bull in tullamore a few years ago and hes grand since.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Pity about the cow with the rupture. I assume you will get her to a factory asap?

I dont know to be honest. One of the neighbours had one that it happened to last march and she calved after and reared the calf away. He is going to factory with her next week though but shes grand. Our one looks happy enough in herself and she has a young calf so dont know what to do. Would like the calf to be reared first. Vet is coming out friday to blood test the bull so will see what he reckons and go from there. How does it happen as a matter of interest. Is it most likely a puck or something that she got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

nice looking stock, as hardy as nails and looking fit and ready for the winter.

I dont know to be honest. One of the neighbours had one that it happened to last march and she calved after and reared the calf away. He is going to factory with her next week though but shes grand. Our one looks happy enough in herself and she has a young calf so dont know what to do. Would like the calf to be reared first. Vet is coming out friday to blood test the bull so will see what he reckons and go from there. How does it happen as a matter of interest. Is it most likely a puck or something that she got?

you in Kilfenora tonight redzer? seems like a nice crowd there again when I was coming home

you in Kilfenora tonight redzer? seems like a nice crowd there again when I was coming home

No I didnt bother lasnight. Have a lot of marts seen the last few weeks so a bit sick of them. The thing about kilfenora is that if there was one weanling there for every person it would be the busiest mart in the country. Most people just go down for the chat IMO. I dont know how its still going really cause the numbers arent going through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Rollant46

Ya Bayticol is what we when we buy in stock. And we do the rest of the cows with it once a year because we rent land but this year we didnt because of a build up of it in the system and its not that cheap either!

Advertisement