Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The status quo on app development

Options
  • 16-11-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Im an engineering fresher and am considering taking computers as my denomination.

I researched into app development:
    -$99 p/year for the sdk program
    -€600 mac mini to run the system
    -€220 ipod touch to test apps.

Is it reasonable to pay this? The ipod is optional as the SDK has its own inbuilt tester.

Anybody who knows anything about development and the 'concept to app' process could yoou comment and give me a heads up?

Thanks! Illl answer any further questions that may be stoked from this post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

A real device for testing isn't optional in my opinion. Overall the price sounds right.

The actual process depends on how much you know about the application development lifecycle, programming in Objective C, the Cocoa API and the actual project. Does it have to be a an iOS app?

Where should you start? A document that outlines the functional specification that you could post here would be a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LetsThinkBIG

A real device for testing isn't optional in my opinion. Overall the price sounds right.

The actual process depends on how much you know about the application development lifecycle, programming in Objective C, the Cocoa API and the actual project. Does it have to be a an iOS app?

Where should you start? A document that outlines the functional specification that you could post here would be a good place.

Im relatively green tbh. Im just hitting xmas in 1st undenominated engineering in Galway and I'm considering taking the electronic denomination after xmas.

So, Im good on time and resources but short on experience. We've done a bit of Fortran and I would be good with computers in general.

It doesnt have to be an iOS app at all, however apple do have their SDK program which comes with a massive support and info package. Seeing as i have no programming experience per se, I thought it would be a base to kick off with? Branch into Android at a later stage, Symbian even perhaps.

So far I have two concepts in mind:

1. A 'website app' simply a few pages detailing a business with contact numbers, info and relevant material.

2. A touguide app with something specific in mind, It will store a bank of pictures which will be accessible through entering a code which will be physically attatched to an object in a building.
    So by typing in the objects code a picture with labelled info comes up.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

1. A 'website app' simply a few pages detailing a business with contact numbers, info and relevant material.
    Apple would tend to reject apps like that unless you add something that uses phone specific functionality.

As for you your costings, you forgot keyboard, mouse and monitor (unless you have some spare hanging around). I'd second the opinion that you need a real device to test on properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

depends what you're going for tbh.
    I had to do a 7up game for ipads, i was working remotely from the UK, without an ipad. I made it in Flash CS5 and exported it as an *.ipa file.
    Had to still pay $99 for the license, but given the nature of the project/deadline, that was the best possible solution. I wouldnt recommend it of course.

You're better off getting an iphone, so you can develop for 3G support etc.
    Also might be worth your while, getting a macbook pro instead.

To be honest, i think instead of going for XCODE etc to make iphone apps with little programming experience, you're better off looking at making Android applications, dare i say even looking at actionscript to make lose ipa apps. You're taking a huge leap, while support is great, it wont surpass API's/documentation for any other programming language.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Im an engineering fresher and am considering taking computers as my denomination.

I researched into app development:
    -$99 p/year for the sdk program
    -€600 mac mini to run the system
    -€220 ipod touch to test apps.

Is it reasonable to pay this? The ipod is optional as the SDK has its own inbuilt tester.

Anybody who knows anything about development and the 'concept to app' process could yoou comment and give me a heads up?

Thanks! Illl answer any further questions that may be stoked from this post

Not reasonable. Develop android apps for free. Learn all about app development etc. You can target fruit devices later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

If you are just going to develop something for learning, forget the iPhone.

If you want to specifically learn about mobile development (rather than just target say PC's), probably best to go for Android. Particularly if you already have an Android handset. If you had a Windows Phone handset (and a Windows based PC), that would also be an option - there is some cost, but not as large as the iPhone.

For what you are doing, the difference between the various APIs and toolsets (usually Eclipse, XCode or Visual Studio) doesn't really matter.

This changes slightly if you are in a university that is part of Apple's University Program, which would allow you free access. I don't who is or if any are, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

Android all the way. There was even tutorials put on by CompSoc in the college recently. Not sure if they are still going though. Keep an eye on https://www.facebook.com/nuigcompsoc anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Another advocate of android here, posting from an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LetsThinkBIG

Im seeing the benefits of using android.
    Personally, I prefer Googles free ethos to apples drip feed premium price one, however thats irrelevant.

To get started with android whats the set up?
    Im guessing there is a good bit of opensource software oweing to its 'free-ness'?

Appreciate the feedback thats drummed up, its all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

There would be plenty of resources available, but the first place to look would be the Android Developer website:

http://developer.android.com/index.html

You can download the SDK and Eclipse Android Developer Tools (ADT) from there. There is also the Dev Guide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement