Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find out who owns a property/Bit of land

Options
  • 16-11-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Does anyone have any idea how you go about finding out who owns a bit of land?

There's a rundown house I pass everyday on my way to work, and I'm considering approaching the owner (if i can find out who it is) to see if he's any interest in selling.

By the looks of it no one has lived here in years.

So are my options to ask neighbors/locals?

Can I find this out from the land registry or are would I need a solicitor to do access this information?

Cheers :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You can access the land registry in person. Haven't done it in years so maybe it is on-line now?
    They are are not up to date though. So you may be able to track down somebody who owned it years ago. People who inherit the property may not re-register so you end up trying to follow the family tree. Then you still might not have success.

Asking the locals is actually a good idea becasue they can tell you how long it is vacant. The local council can claim ownership and sell it at auction if has been vacant long enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Not all land is registered. Only about 85% of titles are registered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My favourite way of doing this- is to pop into the local post office, find out who the postmen in the area used be and then approaching one of the retired postmen. They are a mine of useful information.......

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You can access the land registry in person..

So does that mean I can just walk in and they'll tell me?
    My favourite way of doing this- is to pop into the local post office, find out who the postmen in the area used be and then approaching one of the retired postmen. They are a mine of useful information.......

That's a great idea, local publican might be another good idea. Unfortunately the house is derelict so it may not have gotten post in quite a few years!!

Advertisement