Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy - Tax implications

Options
  • 16-11-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

We recently got informed at work that management are looking for redundancies.

The deal is the statutory package of 2 weeks pay per year of service. I've been told that this would be tax free.

If you break your service in the middle (of say 6 years to date) for 9 months, would your redundancy payment then be subject to tax? Someone said it would and that it would be around 40%!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The statutory redundancy payment is a lump-sum payment based on the pay of the employee. All eligible employees are entitled to:

•Two weeks' pay for every year of service over the age of 16 and
    •One further week's pay
    The amount of statutory redundancy is subject to a maximum earnings limit of €600 per week (€31,200 per year).

Pay refers to your current normal weekly pay including average regular overtime and benefits-in-kind, but before tax and PRSI deductions, that is your gross pay.

The statutory redundancy payment is tax-free.
    In short the answer is maybe depending on what you earn. More information here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Nody wrote: »
    The statutory redundancy payment is a lump-sum payment based on the pay of the employee. All eligible employees are entitled to:

•Two weeks' pay for every year of service over the age of 16 and
    •One further week's pay
    The amount of statutory redundancy is subject to a maximum earnings limit of €600 per week (€31,200 per year).

Pay refers to your current normal weekly pay including average regular overtime and benefits-in-kind, but before tax and PRSI deductions, that is your gross pay.

The statutory redundancy payment is tax-free.
    In short the answer is maybe depending on what you earn. More information here.
    Thanks a mil
    I earn under 31k so it looks like I wouldn't be taxed right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mink wrote: »
    Thanks a mil
    I earn under 31k so it looks like I wouldn't be taxed right?
    Correct.

Advertisement