Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best paint for a bathroom?

• 16-11-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I know there are similar threads below, with regards the smell of certain paints etc but I hope you don't mind helping me with a problem here.

Moved into a place the start of September and the bathroom was sparkling. However, its has now been overrun with black mould and its literally everywhere in there.

I know I can get sprays that can remove it, but I'm sure I will have to repaint also.

Could you recommend a paint for the job? I was looking at the "Dulux Bathroom" paint in Woodies for €32 for a 2.5 ltr tub, but I really want to be sure that it would work. Don't want moisture streaking down the wall etc.

Also, if you had this problem, could you share your experiences on the removal of the stuff? Does it re-appear quickly? Is the removal spray quite noxious? And is there better alternatives than launching a chemical warfare attack on my poor little bathroom? :D

Appreciate the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Just dont use a standard water based matt emulsion. I did, any splashes from toothbrushes etc are impossible to wash off. If you try to wipe them you just get a stain.
    You want a paint with a good sheen in it in any event. It will wash easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Corvo

ronan45 wrote: »
    Just dont use a standard water based matt emulsion. I did, any splashes from toothbrushes etc are impossible to wash off. If you try to wipe them you just get a stain.
    You want a paint with a good sheen in it in any event. It will wash easier.

Ok. I see some of the paints are specially made to stop the mould re-appearing, I just don't know how effective they are. The tootbrush splashes would be my worst nightmare. I swear if I spend a ton of cash on paint, then go through all the work and a splash from a toothbrush can ruin it I will burn down Woodies :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Mild strength bleach solution (thin bleach) to clean and kill the spores first.
    Few of these mould inhibiting paints are going to stop you having a problem though which is caused by lack of ventilation and condensation. Tha needs tackling first and then worry about what paint to put on...anything with a sheen is fine, or acrylic finishes...just not chalky vinyl matt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Corvo

Wertz wrote: »
    Mild strength bleach solution (thin bleach) to clean and kill the spores first.
    Few of these mould inhibiting paints are going to stop you having a problem though which is caused by lack of ventilation and condensation. Tha needs tackling first and then worry about what paint to put on...anything with a sheen is fine, or acrylic finishes...just not chalky vinyl matt.

Thanks mate. Though I am unsure how to get it ventilated. There is a window, but I have had that open and still no luck.

Advertisement