Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 12 for a newbie

Options
  • 16-11-2011 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭

I better start by saying I've gone through about a dozen threads now with titles that looked like they may help me, but they didn't, so I figured I'd chance having my head bitten off with a new post.

All I'm looking for really is basic attacking advice. Most importantly, taking on defenders.

I've read so many posts on so many forums, along with looking through a ton of Youtube videos, and each one seems to be aimed at people looking to score from 40 yards, or using 5 star tricks to look like Ronaldo on the training pitch. None of these things interest me (yet).

I only got my Xbox a couple of months ago after 7 years away from gaming, and trying to play FIFA 12 is a nightmare. I have absolutely no clue how to take the ball past defenders. If I want to get forward, I have to keep passing, then have maybe 1 in 10 through balls produce a chance.

I've seen all the tutorials about how you "just" have to hold LT, then give the right twirly thing and jiggle, and that's all well and good in Arena Mode, or when there's no defender. I can do that. But actually using those skills to beat someone just isn't happening. Trying to make a winger take on a fullback, or making room for myself in the middle of the park is all I'm aiming for here.

I've accepted that I just suck at defending. It's just going to take time to get used to it... but if I can't do simple things like run with the ball past a defender, then it's just not worth playing... and I'm getting close to just giving up on the game, hence this post.

So if anyone can tell me the particular skills/techniques used to simply take on a defender and get past them, without having to move the right stick a total of 1080 degrees in 17 directions, that would be great.

I'm not looking for flash or impressive looking skills. Just skills that consistently work.

Just to give an example; If I'm on the wing with Ashley Young, and I've got some 35 year old half-dead fullback in front of me with about 50-60 acc and pace, Ashley Young's pace seems absolutely useless unless I'm already in front of that defender and on the end of a through ball (and even then it's questionable). I want to know how to run at him, without knocking the ball too far in front and having him just step in and nick it with no effort at all.

It seems all I ever do is play a lobbed pass over the top down the middle and hope someone gets on the end of it. And that's getting tedious. But it's all I know.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share some of the more simple techniques.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

through balls FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greengrass87

try this site http://www.fifaaddiction.com/
    it simplifys all the skill moves and even tells you the buttons to press when playing left to right and right to left
    its just a case of practising in a training match then

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Some options

1. The easiest method is to use one two passes, pass it in to a player more in field (LB + A) , your player will sprint on looking for the return ball passing the opposition player and continuing their run.

2. As you approach the player use the bridge move by flicking the left stick in the direction your are running towards the opposing player to push the ball by the player and to go around his outside and then collect the ball and continue your run the far side of the player. This requires timing and some players are better at it than others but its good when you get the timing down.

3. Use your pace and do as you were saying there you double tap the left stick in the direction you are running and push the ball ahead of you to sprint away. But if you dont have enough space as you approach them then you might not get by without a stray foot coming in to get the ball off you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

To be an attacking force; be relentless. Anytime you have the ball, look to score, be impatient, shoot.

How to implement this in real terms; have a basic skill move, I use 3 basic skill moves but can execute them all the time and anytime and they are always effective. They are the stepover, the fake shot/pass, and the 360 degree turn. Master them, get comfortable doing them and make them a natural movement when you play a match. Also, when running at a defender be gung ho, never hesitate always be charging hard at them. Remember that they are going to realise that it is 1-on-1 so if you go past them they are going to be really stretched. Attack with confidence, use 1-2s ALWAYS when you play a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

To be an attacking force; be relentless. Anytime you have the ball, look to score, be impatient, shoot.

How to implement this in real terms; have a basic skill move, I use 3 basic skill moves but can execute them all the time and anytime and they are always effective. They are the stepover, the fake shot/pass, and the 360 degree turn. Master them, get comfortable doing them and make them a natural movement when you play a match. Also, when running at a defender be gung ho, never hesitate always be charging hard at them. Remember that they are going to realise that it is 1-on-1 so if you go past them they are going to be really stretched. Attack with confidence, use 1-2s ALWAYS when you play a pass.

This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll take note of those 3 and just keep practising them. Cheers.

Am I right in thinking the stepover is simply up, then roll to the right or left on the right stick? And then down, followed by 270degree spin for the 360 turn?

I can do the 360 fine... but I'm struggling to get the stepover consistently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Passing is usually the best way through - unlocks both the CPU and human opponents. CPU is ALWAYS harder to go by than people it seems so don't get disheartened on that front.

Simple skill moves seem more effective to me. Even the ball roll - so run down wing, hold LT when defender gets near and hold up or down on Left Stick (i.e. towards upper touch line or lower). Player simply rolls the ball to the side and it's surprising how effective it is!

Step overs are simple but can get you space and pace too. Simple flick of right stick up and around and then move left stick (usually other direction). You get a little speed burst too.

Learn the intricacies of your team - some are great in the air so simply get down the line and smash it in // early cross (LB + Cross I think!).

🤪

I've been moving up through the CPU levels, and Professional seems to be my current level. But that's in career mode, where I'm selling a lot of dead wood and buying the best players in the game. Should I stop that, and just get used to being one normal team, so I can be more prepared for games against people online?

That's presuming I can't use my career team in online play.

I fear I might "get used" to having Ronaldo, Messi and Hernandez up front with Sneijder and Rooney as playmakers... then as soon as it comes to being stuck with a normal team, I'll be awful again.

You can't use career mode team online, but no harm in playing for fun :D I play Ultimate Team 90% of the time which is even worse than playing career because you can build a dream team AND players seem to be affected by overall team chemistry.

Maybe find a couple of reg teams you like (i.e. who do you play against friends). If you pick a 4* team there's less likelihood of getting put against a 5* team which is nice! Most people play Real Madrid or Barcelona so no worries if you are used to having an all star team at your disposal.

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    You can't use career mode team online, but no harm in playing for fun :D I play Ultimate Team 90% of the time which is even worse than playing career because you can build a dream team AND players seem to be affected by overall team chemistry.

Maybe find a couple of reg teams you like (i.e. who do you play against friends). If you pick a 4* team there's less likelihood of getting put against a 5* team which is nice! Most people play Real Madrid or Barcelona so no worries if you are used to having an all star team at your disposal.

The biggest problem for me (which is the problem that made me come here to ask) is that I'm currently away from home and just have the Xbox to myself... so playing against the CPU is all I have at the moment. Plus with my 7 year absence from gaming, I've not been in the same loop as my old gaming friends, so I'm pretty much going solo at the moment. And with that, I tend to just play career mode as United + Sneijder(or)Modric + whatever striker I'm in the mood for (which is sometimes my virtual pro).

But from messing around with other teams, I just don't "feel" as good without having a Ronaldo or Messi in my team. When you're on the ball with those two, it just feels a lot easier than the likes of Young and Nani - So I'll probably opt for Real myself.

So I take it if I choose to play as QPR, the FIFA gods pair me up with a suitable team in online mode? I figured it'd be entirely random, but I'm glad to hear it's not. I think I'd enjoy trying to find a smaller team with some stars, as opposed to just picking "the usuals".

Playing the CPU can be fun and will certainly punish you for defensive errors! :)

Yeah if you went QPR, you'd most likely get a lower rated team. For example, I pick Palmero (4* team) and I usually get Werner Bremen, Santos, A. Villa...Teams like that. Good system.

Once you don't mind Real v Real, you'll be fine :) Definitely work on the defending though. Those kind of teams can go to town if you're slightly shakey - mix of new defending, precision dribbling and useful skill moves!

🤪

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm trying to to stop diving into tackles, but it's like my finger just wants to press the B (standing tackle) button every time I'm near a player (or not near him, as the case may be).

It gets pretty irritating after a while when every goal you concede is because a player of yours decides to do a little shoulder charge then stop running when there's nobody within 10 feet of him. :pac:

Advertisement