Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chipper van advice?

Options
  • 16-11-2011 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Hi guys :)
    I live in a fairly rural area with a few villiages in close proximity and no fast food facilities in walking distance. I was thinking of buying a chipper van and setting up a travelling route with a set timetable, ie- spend an hour in one villiage before travelling on to the next etc. I've looked into it and am aware of the HSE regulations etc. Would I be right in thinking that I don't need any planning or permission to stop on a public street? It will be a small enough unit so I won't be causing any sort of obstruction :D

Also, if anybody who has experience of this could give me some advice I'd be very greatful :) Besides the vehicle, insurance, health regulations etc, is there anything I would need to take into consideration? What kind of turnover would I need to be doing to make a profit? And where would I source the cheapest stock? I know it sounds like a ridiculous question but would it be cheaper to buy frozen food in bulk from the likes of lidl/aldi than to buy fresh from a butcher/wholesaler?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Also, if anybody who has experience of this could give me some advice I'd be very greatful :) Besides the vehicle, insurance, health regulations etc, is there anything I would need to take into consideration? What kind of turnover would I need to be doing to make a profit? And where would I source the cheapest stock? I know it sounds like a ridiculous question but would it be cheaper to buy frozen food in bulk from the likes of lidl/aldi than to buy fresh from a butcher/wholesaler?

Are you genuinely serious about this? If so, go and talk to wholesalers, butchers & aldi's etc and get the info you need..........................

If you don't know your costs, how are we going to know your costs and tell you what T/O you need.

Sounds like a good idea, but put some more time into it......................

Advertisement