Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not turning up to jury duty

• 16-11-2011 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Do you know what can happen if you don't turn up to jury duty having already sent back the form saying you'll be there?

Has anyone any personal experience of this?

I really want to go, but for work reasons it's impossible, and am being advised to just not turn up. Do they really summons/ arrest/ fine people? Can I provide a letter from my employer at this last minute stating that it's now impossible or is it too late (jury duty is in a few days time).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There are penalties which are in the letter you received. If you've returned the form and don't turn up, I don't the judge will be pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

solovely wrote: »
    Do you know what can happen if you don't turn up to jury duty having already sent back the form saying you'll be there?

I really want to go, but for work reasons it's impossible, and am being advised to just not turn up. Do they really summons/ arrest/ fine people? Can I provide a letter from my employer at this last minute stating that it's now impossible or is it too late (jury duty is in a few days time).

Call the clerk for the court that you've been summonsed for and explain the situation. If it's genuine I suspect they might be nice about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Whoever told you to just not turn up is an idiot - will they pay your fines for non-attendance ??
    Either turn up or get agreement from the court that you need not attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Unless you're in one of the professions mentioned that are exempt I'd go back and chat to your employer and tell them that if you don't turn up and are fined are they prepared to pay your fine, if they're not, tell them that, by law, you have to turn up and they have to pay you for it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

As Homer Simpson said, getting out of jury duty is easy. Just tell them you're prejudiced against all races.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Your employer has a legal obligation to give you paid time off to attend for jury service.

I did jury service last year and the selecting judge took great pride in the fact that he had the power to impose unlimited fines and penalties against employers who did not allow their staff paid time off to perform jury service

Just not turning up for selection is the worst thing that you can do as they will go after you for ignoring the summons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭solovely

Thanks guys,

Yeah, they said they'd pay my fine and take care of any other penalties, but I still feel really uncomfortable just not turning up. I know it sounds straightforward saying they are breaking the law by not letting me go, but we all know in these times, in reality, it's not that simple.

I'm going to ring the jury office and tell them that if I go, the company will be severely out of pocket (we're a very small business) and hope that they let me off. I know I wouldn't sleep right by just not turning up.

My employer once "not turned up" and never got a fine or summons, so thinks it's fine!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Appreciate the advice.

I've tried calling the jury office a million times (OK about seven) and it just rings out. Does anyone know any way of getting in touch with them? Can I just email them or would a call be better?

Thanks guys,

Yeah, they said they'd pay my fine and take care of any other penalties, but I still feel really uncomfortable just not turning up. I know it sounds straightforward saying they are breaking the law by not letting me go, but we all know in these times, in reality, it's not that simple.

I'm going to ring the jury office and tell them that if I go, the company will be severely out of pocket (we're a very small business) and hope that they let me off. I know I wouldn't sleep right by just not turning up.

My employer once "not turned up" and never got a fine or summons, so thinks it's fine!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Appreciate the advice.

Remember it goes on your record.

Get them to sign off on an agreement indemnifying you against all fines and what will happen if do judge decides to jail you (they would soon replace you).

Your company also needs to square up to their civic responsibilities as well. I know it's hard times but they are a part of the community too. If their business was subject to criminal action - perhaps the staff threatened and robbed - they would be pretty keen to get the perpetrator in front of judge and jury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Sorry to hijack this thread!

I have jury duty in the new courts in Parkgate Street next week and just have a few questions about it.

1.What should I wear on the day?(I'm a man btw!)

2.How likely is it that I'll be selected to sit on an actual jury?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭anticonno16

I could be wrong but not turning up means a bench warrant can be issued for arrest for contempt.

You're looking at a stint slopping out and/or a rogering from a nice burley man called Gregory.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1.What should I wear on the day?(I'm a man btw!)
    Whatever you want but a dress would possibly be frowned upon.
    Joking aside, there is no formal dress code.
    2.How likely is it that I'll be selected to sit on an actual jury?
    You will be amongst many others who may or may not be called up to be approved or declined by both sides.
    Basically, nobody knows (which is supposed to be the beauty of it).

However, I was on the panel about a year ago (in Naas). I wasn't picked but many of those who were selected for approval and not declined by either side were given the opportunity to say that they were needed for work and given the current economic climate, couldn't be spared by their company. The judge was satisfied with this and discharged them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

The County Registrar may excuse you if he is satisfied that there is "good reason" for getting out of jd.you have to write a letter explaining the reasons why u cant make it.they wont excuse u over the phone but if your ever called again theres no getting out of it kids are a good excuse though
    you cant give a letter in at the last moment they wont accept it you have to give at least a months notice to get out and if u just dont turn up u could end up in court urself
    if ur a doctor nurse vet or a cop then ur excused

kbannon wrote: »
    Whatever you want but a dress would possibly be frowned upon.
    Joking aside, there is no formal dress code.

You will be amongst many others who may or may not be called up to be approved or declined by both sides.
    Basically, nobody knows (which is supposed to be the beauty of it).

However, I was on the panel about a year ago (in Naas). I wasn't picked but many of those who were selected for approval and not declined by either side were given the opportunity to say that they were needed for work and given the current economic climate, couldn't be spared by their company. The judge was satisfied with this and discharged them.

Cheers!

Jeans and a t-shirt will suffice then!

I was under the impression that I'd have to wear a suit or the judge would think I was disrespecting him or something.

What I would advise the OP to do is:
    Try and contact the Courts Service in advance.
    Ask his employer to write and sign a letter stating how important this employee is etc.
    Turn up and make your position known at the earliest opportunity.

Last time I was called, I saw a stream of people come in (in work clothes and uniforms) and go up to the front and then leave. I don't know who they approach and what they say to them.

Thanks a million for all the advice...and scaremongering!

It's on Tuesday so a letter won't get to them in time I'm afraid.

How real are the threats of court and fines? Like, I know technically that's what can happen, but has anyone ever heard of anyone this actually happened to? As I said, the only person I know who didn't turn after saying they could make it was my employer and they never heard a word about it after.

As I said, the only person I know who didn't turn after saying they could make it was my employer and they never heard a word about it after.
    In fairness, I wouldn't take too much heed of what your employers says based on their advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

dermiek wrote: »
    As Homer Simpson said, getting out of jury duty is easy. Just tell them you're prejudiced against all races.

:D

I've been called for juty duty. I told them I'm a retired Garda, working in Security dealing with criminals on a daily basis and have no sympathy for them and they told me to turn up anyway. Can't wait.

In fairness, I wouldn't take too much heed of what your employers says based on their advice!

Thanks for that, but them being my employers I kind of have to take their advice...they do pay my wages!!

What I'm asking is does anyone know anyone who's been chased up for not turning up?

I can't get through to the jury office by phone, so I'm wondering if I turn up on the day with a letter from my employer explaining why I can't sit, could I be excused straight away?

Thanks for that, but them being my employers I kind of have to take their advice...they do pay my wages!!
    Have they given you documented details outlining that they will pay your fine and other penalties for not turning up? Don't assume that their word is good as a verbal agreement is only worth the paper its written on!
    I can't get through to the jury office by phone, so I'm wondering if I turn up on the day with a letter from my employer explaining why I can't sit, could I be excused straight away?
    That all depends on the judge really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Have they given you documented details outlining that they will pay your fine and other penalties for not turning up? Don't assume that their word is good as a verbal agreement is only worth the paper its written on!
    Any contract written or verbal that is done to contract an illegal act (not showing up for Jury duty) is invalid

How real are the threats of court and fines? Like, I know technically that's what can happen, but has anyone ever heard of anyone this actually happened to? As I said, the only person I know who didn't turn after saying they could make it was my employer and they never heard a word about it after.

Giving that you will be in a court and with a judge present, I'd say very real. There are stories of people who "got away with it" but you could be the story of the guy who ended up in jail. It's a risk you take. No certainty either way.

Has your employer stated that if his business was the victim of crime that he'd be happy that the perpertrator would walk because a jury couldn't be formed?

Any contract written or verbal that is done to contract an illegal act (not showing up for Jury duty) is invalid
    Fair enough but I figured that once asked for, the employer would back off as they would not want to sign something like it.

Just to keep you all updated (and thanks again for all the replies). I went in to the court today, told work I felt really uncomfortable just not turning up. I got called for a case, which it turned out was planned to run til Friday and I have a flight booked for Friday evening, so was able to give that as a valid excuse without having to mention the work pressure. The case I was called for I think I would have been unfairly biased towards one side anyway because of a personal incident, so either way I probably couldn't have done it, but the flight was an easy (and true) get out.

I do hope I get called again though, as I do feel it's an important civic duty and also quite exciting! I'm dying to know now how the case goes!

I counted and 25 people didn't turn up (out of about 150) so I do doubt that all these people get followed up with court appearances themselves, but who's to say! I certainly didn't want to be the one to test the system!

You are to be commended for turning up and making yourself available for civic duty.

Well done solovely. Incidentally, you won't be required to do jury duty for another three years.

(Somehow I was called about a month after my last outing. A quick call note sorted it out)

Have been doing jury duty since Monday,two groups of jurors were picked for two cases on Monday morning,but yesterday and today the judge said that no jury's were required.Pretty annoying getting two buses into town and back out just for that!

Is it a fairly common occurence that no jurys are required?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

Is it a fairly common occurence that no jurys are required?

yep... could well happen again tomorrow.. annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

trad wrote: »
    I've been called for juty duty. I told them I'm a retired Garda, working in Security dealing with criminals on a daily basis and have no sympathy for them and they told me to turn up anyway. Can't wait.

Just tell the judge that the first time you're upon to serve if you are in fact called - I'm not criticising your bias at all but in fairness you're obliged to disclose it. You'll likely be excused for the duration of your service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They don't have a roll call each morning so they only way non attenders are found out is if their name is called after drawing their name from the box.

Non attending is basically a lottery.

Only 1 case was called this morning and I wasn't picked out of the jury selection box thingy,good few people called were absent too and the judge didn't seem too impressed.

At least that's it over with,hope I'm not called again for many,many years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I have Jury service tomorrow.

So it's ok to wear Jeans? On the FAQ of Jury service "neat and casual in keeping with general business environment" I don't work in a office so would not have 5 days of office clothes.

Also is there Lockers in there? I'd like to bring in a Backpack with my work clothes in it. Or do I just carry it around?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I have Jury service tomorrow.

So it's ok to wear Jeans? On the FAQ of Jury service "neat and casual in keeping with general business environment" I don't work in a office so would not have 5 days of office clothes.

Also is there Lockers in there? I'd like to bring in a Backpack with my work clothes in it. Or do I just carry it around?
    Thanks

I had service in Parkgate street earlier in the year. Plenty of people (including those picked for juries) wore jeans/etc. You'll have your backpack with you in the waiting/selection room and have to take it with you if called to a courtroom. If you get selected for a jury you'll be in your jury room each morning before court and you'll leave your backpack there. The room is locked & private (only accessible to you, your co-jurors, and limited staff). I didn't see any lockers (for jurors).

They don't have a roll call each morning so they only way non attenders are found out is if their name is called after drawing their name from the box.

When I done jury duty, I was called on the first day for a jury service. But I remember there being a roll call. The had everyone's name on a bit of paper, and the non-attendees were put into one pile with everyone else put into other pile.

So if you don't turn up for roll call, they will know.

I don't know if they do a roll call every morning but I assume they do, since the pile of attendees is sent up to the court if a just is needed (IIRC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

I've tried calling the jury office a million times (OK about seven) and it just rings out. Does anyone know any way of getting in touch with them? Can I just email them or would a call be better?
    In case anyone else needs help on this matter here is a contact number (087)177839... dublinjuryoffice@courts.ie .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Was on jury duty last year and roll call every day - it was extremely frustrating as seemed to take forever!

We were released after roll call on Thursday as Judge decided any cases which could have commenced that day would be at least 2 days and so no Friday starts possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Things have certainly changed since I did jury service any years ago. Good to know they are tracking attendances now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'm called for next Tuesday. It's been 20 years since I have last been called. I don't mind. It's a duty that has to be done.

Sworn in today case starts Thursday expected to last 4 weeks Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Drag it out blinkey

Might get yourself some nights in a hotel courtesy of the taxpayer :)

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Drag it out blinkey

Might get yourself some nights in a hotel courtesy of the taxpayer :)

Lol I wish , as far as I know they don't put ppl up in hotels anymore ? I could be wrong :confused:

Was called on Monday there must have been 200 ppl there ,

there was a role call two guys came out with cards with our names on ,
    We were told to answer when our names were called out,

anyone that wasn't there they put their cards to one side , so tbh anyone
    thinking of not going I would think twice unless you have a good excuse or like

Paying fines :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RebekahT

A friend of mine has been called and suffers with anxiety in social situations. She is already panicking about it and said she is not turning up. I've warned her of the fines, and doesn't care ( but does really) she also cares for her elderly father bit not down as carer. She is goin to send them back the form, but really hoping she is dismissed. Has anyone ever had to do this before.
    I should add, If she did go, and was sworn into a trial, she would not be able for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

RebekahT wrote: »
    A friend of mine has been called and suffers with anxiety in social situations. She is already panicking about it and said she is not turning up. I've warned her of the fines, and doesn't care ( but does really) she also cares for her elderly father bit not down as carer. She is goin to send them back the form, but really hoping she is dismissed. Has anyone ever had to do this before.
    I should add, If she did go, and was sworn into a trial, she would not be able for it

Just ring number on form explain situation that should be end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭slovakchick

go along sure, it would be an interesting experience, murder or something maybe not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

go along sure, it would be an interesting experience, murder or something maybe not[/

He did go and it was a murder case, very interesting and they convicted the person in question with manslaughter.

It was actually 5 years ago and he was released just before Christmas....

True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭slovakchick

link?
    go along sure, it would be an interesting experience, murder or something maybe not[/

He did go and it was a murder case, very interesting and they convicted the person in question with manslaughter.

It was actually 5 years ago and he was released just before Christmas....

True story.

Advertisement