Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pennys redevelopment Green Light.

Options
  • 16-11-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Just been informed by councillor John Cassin that Pennys have been passed on their planning permission appeal.

About time the messing is over, hopefully this will bring nice sums of cash and some much needed construction jobs to Carlow over next 2 years, Plus retail jobs from then on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Id like to see more of an effort to promote the town as a proper shopping destination...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

I can confirm that this is true. Debenhams, Boots and Marks and Spencers are on the way but more importantly in the short terms so are loads of construction jobs which are badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

I can confirm that this is true. Debenhams, Boots and Marks and Spencers are on the way but more importantly in the short terms so are loads of construction jobs which are badly needed.

Lets hope they're locally filled jobs, I know a lot of guys looking for work at the moment. Plus it would be a shame to see the wage costs get spent outside of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Anybody know where abouts either of the three stores above are going to be in the town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jkwxez12yrdgbq

Id like to see more of an effort to promote the town as a proper shopping destination...

But there isn't very many shops in Carlow??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 carrie1234

I Dunno, I always prefer to shop in Carlow rather than Kilkenny , I think Carlow may have smaller versions of some of the top brands but still its as good as Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

tombull82 wrote: »
    Lets hope they're locally filled jobs, I know a lot of guys looking for work at the moment. Plus it would be a shame to see the wage costs get spent outside of the county.

Depending on the tender process, I can unfortunately see the majority of workers being from anywhere but Carlow, unless someone like Quinn Reddin, Mealeys or one of the other Carlow construction companies win a contract with the developers.

There may be a few local labourers taken on, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about the site being filled with Carlow workers.

The school in Castledermot, built in 2009, had maybe 5 local people working on it, despite many local tradesmen tendering with the main contractor for work. (Plasterer(myself), 2x carpenters, blocklayer and 2x electricians that I know of....)

Unfortunately, the decision as to who gets any work on jobs like these are based entirely on money, as opposed to trying to keep money in the community by giving the work to locals - It's all about the bottom line

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

alproctor wrote: »
    Depending on the tender process, I can unfortunately see the majority of workers being from anywhere but Carlow, unless someone like Quinn Reddin, Mealeys or one of the other Carlow construction companies win a contract with the developers.

There may be a few local labourers taken on, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about the site being filled with Carlow workers.

The school in Castledermot, built in 2009, had maybe 5 local people working on it, despite many local tradesmen tendering with the main contractor for work. (Plasterer(myself), 2x carpenters, blocklayer and 2x electricians that I know of....)

Unfortunately, the decision as to who gets any work on jobs like these are based entirely on money, as opposed to trying to keep money in the community by giving the work to locals - It's all about the bottom line

Unfortunately I would have to agree with the sentiments of this post as well as wondering if it will be local people that will be employed in the shops when they open :confused:

Yes I agree Al,
    I know all to well how the process works with that regard,
    Here hoping though eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

But there isn't very many shops in Carlow??

But surely is the last step needed to properly promote the town?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

carrie1234 wrote: »
    I Dunno, I always prefer to shop in Carlow rather than Kilkenny , I think Carlow may have smaller versions of some of the top brands but still its as good as Kilkenny

Not for men it's not. Carlow has a serious shortage of fashionable men's clothing shops. Kilkenny out performs in this regard by a wide margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Not for men it's not. Carlow has a serious shortage of fashionable men's clothing shops. Kilkenny out performs in this regard by a wide margin.

Defo have to agree. In Carlow there's Jack Jones, Praha, Detail and...that's about it! Two of these are already in KK as well as a few others. Shaws is for old men with no style and it's expensive for anything half decent. Macs is not much better. Any of the other chain stores you will find in Kilkenny.
    It's also a lot better as regards Book stores.
    Where Carlow leads KK is in groceries i.e. has a decent Tesco and now an Iceland. Also Carlow has a better choice of large household DIY type shops like Homestore and More (excellent shop), and has a Currys and a Homebase also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

I believe Carlow is over subscribed with Retail and Empty Retail units.
    Carlow needs a new industry and investment whatever that is ..green energy, IT, Games Development, Agriculture.
    If we could only find a drop of oil or gas.. ;)

As a side note there is no where in Carlow selling Ladies Branded Jeans, ie Levis, Tommy H, Wrangler in Carlow...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

tombull82 wrote: »
    Yes I agree Al,
    I know all to well how the process works with that regard,
    Here hoping though eh.

+1 Tom, here's hoping.....

Be nice to actually have the opportunity to tender for it though. As more and more often lately, I seem to find that whatever jobs are going ahead, are springing up without the tender processes being advertised as they once were.

Now it is entirely possible that I'm missing perfectly obvious places, but it would be nice to see this project advertised locally, so as to maximise the chances of local contractors being awarded contracts....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

For anyone who didn't get The Nationalist/Carlow People, the Penny's Development will start in the first quarter of next year and will be a 70week project. It includes a walkway on the south bank of the Burrin and an upgrade of Hanover Park.

Penny's will move to the old L&N building while it's being completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No, it's from today, are there not enough empty houses/apartments around already? Good for Carlow during building but after that?? Who will occupy the building?:confused::confused:

€60m Carlow development gets go-ahead

Updated: 12:00, Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Hundreds of jobs could be created in Carlow after An Bord Pleanála gave the go-ahead for a €60m development in the town.

Hundreds of jobs could be created in Carlow following An Bord Pleanála's decision to give the go-ahead for a €60m development in the town.
    The project, which includes retail units, apartments, office space and a 640 space underground car park, is expected to create up to 250 jobs during the construction phase and up to 600 jobs when the centre opens.
    The building at Hanover will commence early next year and is due for completion by Christmas 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi Vic

This is actually about the new Penney's development which has been much waited upon by many members of the forum here and as there is a thread on it already I am going to merge the 2.

Regards
    Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

Hundreds of jobs could be created in Carlow following An Bord Pleanála's decision to give the go-ahead for a €60m development in the town.
    The project, which includes retail units, apartments, office space and a 640 space underground car park, is expected to create up to 250 jobs during the construction phase and up to 600 jobs when the centre opens.
    The building at Hanover will commence early next year and is due for completion by Christmas 2013.

Maybe jobs when the centre is up & running but I wouldnt hold my breath regarding locals getting in on the construction phase en masse if the construction company is as stated in the Nationalist.

Bagenal wrote: »
    Maybe jobs when the centre is up & running but I wouldnt hold my breath regarding locals getting in on the construction phase en masse if the construction company is as stated in the Nationalist.

I haven't got the Nationalist to hand anybody have any further details on it?

Mentioned on RTE Website also

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/tabId/369/itemId/12696/New-town-centre-gets-green-light.aspx

New ‘town centre’ gets green light

Last Updated Nov 2011
    By: Mairead Wilmot
    THE green light has finally been given to a long awaited development at Hanover, Carlow.

Last week An Bord Pleanála gave the go-ahead to the project, which is estimated to cost in the region of €60 million. Flagships stores such as Penneys and Debenhams will take centre stage in the development.

Permission has now been granted for a 640-space underground car park, retail units, 30 apartments and office space, cafés and a food court, the upgrading of Hanover Park and a riverside walk on the south bank of the Burrin.

Despite being plagued by setbacks and objections, the project can now lift off and is set to inject millions into the local economy.

“It has been a long unnecessary delay,” admitted Mr Duignan. “However, we are happy we are where we are now.”

The developer revealed that John Sisk and Son Ltd will be acting as contractors on the project, which, he says, will start in the first quarter of next year.

Mr Duignan added that project is estimated to be a 70-week build.

It is believed that while building takes place, Penneys will move its operations to the old SuperValu site on Tullow Street.

• Advertisement

70 weeks...
    I'm moving the family to the US in Jan for 2 yrs,
    here's hoping its opened an full of shops for when we return.
    My wifis hoping for M&S food shop in there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Overall this is great news and will generate money in the locality. The amount of money depends on the amount of local employment given during the construction phase. I am sure that some locals will get a few jobs here and there.

The amount of people who travel already from Kilkenny to Carlow is crazy. Mostly for grocery shopping and toy shopping (as Kilkenny has one tiny toy shop left) admittidly but this could be the opportunity to get in some better men’s shops which is desperately needed.

Tom sure you will be all shopped out of it over in the states and you better bring me back something nice ;)

You know her too well Toe_knee. :)

I am worried about that.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Shinnie0503

mfitzy wrote: »
    Defo have to agree. In Carlow there's Jack Jones, Praha, Detail and...that's about it! Two of these are already in KK as well as a few others. Shaws is for old men with no style and it's expensive for anything half decent. Macs is not much better. Any of the other chain stores you will find in Kilkenny.
    It's also a lot better as regards Book stores.
    Where Carlow leads KK is in groceries i.e. has a decent Tesco and now an Iceland. Also Carlow has a better choice of large household DIY type shops like Homestore and More (excellent shop), and has a Currys and a Homebase also.
    Agree on the choice of DIY shops but what you havent mentioned is the 'locally owned shops'. Doyles Topline (Doyle's of the Shamrock) is a locally owned, local staff, very experienced staff and great value for money. In order for Carlow to remain strong, it is important to shop local.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

applications amendments in planning system and due for decision on 25/2/12.

http://193.178.1.229/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=116455&LASiteID=1

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

a seperate development planning is sought in Hanover ....
    http://193.178.1.229/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=116453&LASiteID=1

the construction of a retail development of 5109sq.m Gross Floor Area to include convenience supermarket with a Nett Floor Area 2500 sq.m, and comparison goods textiles and homewares and drapery Nett Floor Area 1000sq.m, including alcohol sales area, ancillary administration offices, staff facilities, bulk store cage marshalling area, cafe, circulation space to include entrance atrium, and service yard. The landscaping and rearrangement of existing car parking provision 598 spaces granted under (PD5041) to include additional 31 new parking spaces to give total 629 spaces, Taxi Rank, all ancillary landscaping, site development works, plant and services and lighting. Access to the proposed development will be via the existing Carlow Retail Park Entrance via the Inner Relief road at Hanover Roundabout.

Does Carlow need another supermarket.. ????

Wow this thread is really getting Rat Holed.

Lads its a local business at the end of the day regardless of which counties sod it lies on. I think that's all Shinnie was trying to say...

Any news on why the amendments are being sought / forced on the Penny's development?

Hi All

Please try to keep the thread on topic in regards the Penny's development, I have moved the discussions on the carlow vs laois boundaries to a new thread as requested to ensure this stays on topic, If you want to discuss the Carlow town boundries please have a look here

Regards
    Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Is This development still going ahead ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 NiThigim

But surely is the last step needed to properly promote the town?

Krusty, it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic!

BO-JANGLES there are actually TWO developments proposed for Hanover. Carlow may become the first place to have ghost shopping centres.

Dont forget we still have to 'develop' the site on the barrow track and the sugar factory.

Advertisement