Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What device needed for 2 broadband connections

• 16-11-2011 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm sorry if this is wrong section, and please move mods if needed.

In work we have a upc connection, which comes into modem, to router, firewall and network. The connection has been dropping a bit lately, to which we're constantly promised its been fixed....

Anyway, I don't have a problem staying with upc, however, i'd like a back-up - so was thinking of getting another ISP in, probably magnet or someone who doesn't rely on cable.

My question is how would I get the two to run together, so if one went off-line, the other one would kick in? Is there a device that would allow this? If there a way to get both to run at the same time, and whichever connection is better is picked up by the pc's on the network? (about 100 pc's on network.)

Or any advice on what to search for either would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

alowe wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm sorry if this is wrong section, and please move mods if needed.

In work we have a upc connection, which comes into modem, to router, firewall and network. The connection has been dropping a bit lately, to which we're constantly promised its been fixed....

Anyway, I don't have a problem staying with upc, however, i'd like a back-up - so was thinking of getting another ISP in, probably magnet or someone who doesn't rely on cable.

My question is how would I get the two to run together, so if one went off-line, the other one would kick in? Is there a device that would allow this? If there a way to get both to run at the same time, and whichever connection is better is picked up by the pc's on the network? (about 100 pc's on network.)

Or any advice on what to search for either would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

I think a firmware update done to the epc2203 caused it to drop the connection if the download speed was being maxed out elsewhere (only happened a while after getting the BB installed so I figured it was an ota update which screwed it up), used to drive me up the wall although it accepted it as it only happened during heavy downloading. I know UPCs other modem option (the Cisco Modem/Router aio) isn't getting the best praises but I don't think it suffers the same problem and can be set up to be bridged (if you use the UPC phone this will disable it though).
    Maybe worth asking a UPC support rep if theres an update for the modem available. I'm not sure there is a dual router that can switch connection easily btw. Fwiw I now have the Thomson modem and it never drops like it did (Upgraded from 30-50Meg)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You need a load balancing router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Or a Dual-Wan router With a fail over feature

Advertisement