Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monetizing novelty content..

• 16-11-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hey folks.

Let's say you have some hilarious images, puzzles, or any other piece of highly original novelty entertainment. Stuff that has viral or even meme potential.

crude example:

funnyanimal97.jpg

Where would you start in terms of monetizing this sort of content. They first thing I thought was, people browsing sites like Tumblr and 4Chan, but then I was thinking, actually a lot of peopler on Facebook "share" and "like" a lot of silly novelty stuff.

But coming up with the content is only one part of the equation. How do you monetize it, and who do you aim your products at?

Would you put your watermark on the image, and just let it go viral? There is always the chance someone will clone out your watermark, and even if your URL stays on the image as it does the rounds, will many people actually take the time to visit your site?

Let's say you have a landing page where people go to get more novelty content.
    What sort of demographic are interested in randomly surfing for silly jokes and puzzles? - bored teens?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to any replies. Please feel free to give non-spammy examples of successful marketing (or recycling) of novelty content.

;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Have a look at how the successful sites monetise their content ..

I suspect, however, that the percentage of clicks / conversions on a lot of those sites is very very small and that they're making the money based on the sheer volume of traffic they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭market myself online

im with blacknight on this one. It is difficult to work with this model and visualise clear income streams, because it doesnt fit the standard internet marketing procedure.

That procedure is as follows:

1. research a market>niche>micro niche
    2. develop a theme keyword and several category keywords
    3. create a test website and produce content to test the waters
    4. develop monetisation strategy based on the demographics and the results from your test website
    5. if the market is hot, turn the website into a fully fledged business proposition by using creative methods, if not go fishing else where.

What you are talking about is the content which you can use anywhere, you are focusing on the product before the market which is a sure way to lose money. Don't fall in love with your own marketing, fall in love with the customer, then figure out how to give them what they want, if that happens to be novelty content then so be it.

You can use the novelty content you are talking about in marketing campaigns as link bait/link building/syndication to partner blogs/bloggers.

Perhaps you want to rephrase your question if you already have a niche in mind and you are developing an online marketing proposition?

Advertisement