Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interest Rate Cuts

• 16-11-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Hi
    Apologies if this is asked elsewhere..A question to the knowledgeable people here on boards - We are lucky enough to have a tracker mortgage and as there has been a recent cute in the ECB rate and a chance there are more to follow I am wondering if I should be sensible and pay the small saving that results from the drop, off the mortgage? If so, how exactly do I go about this? Can you specify to your lender that the extra goes off the capital? Or would I be better off saving it in the Credit Union?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

sallymomo wrote: »
    Hi
    Apologies if this is asked elsewhere..A question to the knowledgeable people here on boards - We are lucky enough to have a tracker mortgage and as there has been a recent cute in the ECB rate and a chance there are more to follow I am wondering if I should be sensible and pay the small saving that results from the drop, off the mortgage? If so, how exactly do I go about this? Can you specify to your lender that the extra goes off the capital? Or would I be better off saving it in the Credit Union?

Thanks

Its all depends on the interest rate really. If you can get a rate to save your money which is higher than your mortgage rate then its favourable to save it. bear in mind the rate of savings will have DIRT deducted from it so must be considered also.

If you cant get a better rate on savings and can afford to pay extra off mortgage just ask your bank if they can take extra or you may need to do ad-hoc payments yourself to the mortgage. It will automatically go against the capital.

Advertisement