Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble sending texts on 4S

• 16-11-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi Guys,
    im wondering if anybody else is having a problem sending texts on the 4S. Almost every time I try to send a text the progress bar fills up about 4/5 or the way before freezing. After a few minutes I get the failed sending icon. This happens even then the iphone is displaying full coverage bars!!
    Usually when I try to resend it the phone drops out of coverage completely and when it comes back after about 30s has 1-2 bars and the message will send fine. The phone never drops coverage like this apart from times I attempt to resend a failed message.
    Im puzzled by this and its starting to get very annoyinh, its my first iphone after a HTC desire and I really like it, apart from this bug.
    For the record im on Meteor and I live in Dublin city centre.

Any help would be appreciated, Ive tried resetting the network settings, after that im out of ideas!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

had this exact problem ,faulty handset ,im using my replacement with nearly a week and its perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rustydrog

Cheers for the reply, I appreciate it. Did you go back to the shop you bought it in or did you deal directly with apple? One final question, was it happening for you on every message? Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

bought mine in cpw and they only allow returns for a week so i got a replacement of apple.Took ages before they would agree a swap 1hr 40 min total over 2 days on the phone with them.Finally was transferred to a lad john worling in apple cork and he allowed the swap.i paid 35 euro and they sent a replacement and charged my card 500 until i sent back the other 1 . New one is perfect since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Hi, I have the exact same problem. Every second message I try to send doesn't send. I am also with meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

I'm on Three and was getting this issue about every 5 messages. Hasnt happened yet since the iOS update though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I too had to get a replacement for this exact reason, since apple sent me a replacement it has been perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

rustydrog wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    im wondering if anybody else is having a problem sending texts on the 4S. Almost every time I try to send a text the progress bar fills up about 4/5 or the way before freezing. After a few minutes I get the failed sending icon. This happens even then the iphone is displaying full coverage bars!!
    Usually when I try to resend it the phone drops out of coverage completely and when it comes back after about 30s has 1-2 bars and the message will send fine. The phone never drops coverage like this apart from times I attempt to resend a failed message.
    Im puzzled by this and its starting to get very annoyinh, its my first iphone after a HTC desire and I really like it, apart from this bug.
    For the record im on Meteor and I live in Dublin city centre.

Any help would be appreciated, Ive tried resetting the network settings, after that im out of ideas!

If finding 3g with Meteor quite Flakey in general. Things work. But take a few goes. Yet every thing is fine on wifi.

I plan on waiting for the update. See what happens then, As I am new to Meteor and I also had the same problem with my 3gs on Meteor.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

If finding 3g with Meteor quite Flakey in general. Things work. But take a few goes. Yet every thing is fine on wifi.

I plan on waiting for the update. See what happens then, As I am new to Meteor and I also had the same problem with my 3gs on Meteor.

To be honest, i been using a 3GS for about 18months on meteor and never had issues with the 3g signal however I didn't update it to ios5. I since upgraded to the 4s with emobile, same network as meteor and Im finding the 3g coverage very flakey to be honest. I always have 3g i coverage, but very often the errors while browsing pages and have to refresh an awful lot. Its also very noticable on twitter for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 bradm3

This has been happening to me a lot over the last week or so since I updated to ios 5.0.1,it was fine before that:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

I was on to Apple this afternoon. I bought my phone from Meteor but they're pretty hopeless to deal with so I rang the guys in Apple to go straight to the horses mouth. The agent then put me through to a senior engineer in Cork and he took all my details, very nice guy and is arranging for a repair, will send me out the box to return the phone and I'll have it replaced if its not fixed. He gave me his work email address as well in case I've any queries etc. It's fine, I can do without the phone for a few days, I have my work Blackberry.

I explained to him the problems, phone dropping off the network intermittently, even when showing bars etc. I said to him I was willing to wait for the next update if that will fix it, he said to me that the 5.0.1 update was meant to have fixed this........:eek:Obviously it hasn't and he said the next update could be a couple of months away, but he obviously couldn't be sure about that.

Hopefully, my phone will be OK/replaced.

Tip for anyone calling Apple. Be patient and keep the cool. I was very nice with them, the girl then put me through to the Engineer. She and then he painstakingly took down the issues I was having and the call lasted just about 30 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Lads I am starting to have problems since I got a static shock out of my 4S yesterday. Had it on my kitchen table and when I went to touch it I got loads of static, the phone kind of went mad for a second, apple logo came up, then it said sim card not installed, then please activate phone. After that it was fine but now every second message won't send. I am still on 5.0 as I want to jailbreak it. Its an unlocked 4s I got 2 weeks ago from apple. Any ideas what I should do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I am still on 5.0 as I want to jailbreak it.
    you can jailbreak 5.0.1

I upgraded to 5.01 and it still failed. Getting a replacement from Apple tomorrow thank god.

Got my replacement phone and it's still as bad. Is everyone here on meteor? Stuck my sisters sim in and there was no problem. She is with O2. Wonder is it meteor! Got a replacement sim from meteor and it's still crap. Gonna buy a o2 sim tmw and see text off it all day to see if anything will happen.

Got my replacement phone and it's still as bad. Is everyone here on meteor? Stuck my sisters sim in and there was no problem. She is with O2. Wonder is it meteor! Got a replacement sim from meteor and it's still crap. Gonna buy a o2 sim tmw and see text off it all day to see if anything will happen.

Oh s**t..................Don't be telling me that! I've set up a repair with Apple. Looks like it's still a bloody lottery on all this. I'm with Meteor as well. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I put a 3 sim in yesterday for the day. The 3G worked great. Internet was perfect and smooth. Texts, iMessage sent first time. Apps opened and refreshed first time. I did not make any calls.

The phone was a pleasure to use. No frustration.
    So I reckon the fault is with Meteor. I am going to get a new sim to elimante that.

I put a 3 sim in yesterday for the day. The 3G worked great. Internet was perfect and smooth. Texts, iMessage sent first time. Apps opened and refreshed first time. I did not make any calls.

The phone was a pleasure to use. No frustration.
    So I reckon the fault is with Meteor. I am going to get a new sim to elimante that.

I put in the O2 Sim and sent about 20 texts. Not one failed. My reception has been perfect everywhere.
    I put back in my meteor sim and the second message I sent failed. It is Meteor.
    I already got a replacement microsim from Meteor and it did not improve it.
    I don't know what to do now.

Sure if it's Meteor we're all screwed. What can be done? They'd have to refund everyone?

I've been reading on the Apple Discussions Forum many others in Countries around the world have been reporting the same issue. Many in Denmark/Sweden with certain carriers. Some have mentioned the 128K micro sim as having fixed the issue. It's possible that Meteor have screwed up with the sims and not taken into account the dual HPSA antenna in the 4S. If thats the case then I would imagine it is very fixable. Might cost Meteor money to upgrade, but that's not our problem.

Rob C wrote: »
    Sure if it's Meteor we're all screwed. What can be done? They'd have to refund everyone?

I've been reading on the Apple Discussions Forum many others in Countries around the world have been reporting the same issue. Many in Denmark/Sweden with certain carriers. Some have mentioned the 128K micro sim as having fixed the issue. It's possible that Meteor have screwed up with the sims and not taken into account the dual HPSA antenna in the 4S. If thats the case then I would imagine it is very fixable. Might cost Meteor money to upgrade, but that's not our problem.

Nice work. But what are the chances of them realising this and then fixing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Funny how Meteor seems to be the common denominator in all this. I regret staying with them, but I suppose they are cheap for a reason.

• Advertisement

Nice work. But what are the chances of them realising this and then fixing it?

Extraordinarily slim I would have to say....I've already raised this in the Meteor Forums in the "Customer Care" section where they're meant to get back to you.

One guy on that forum asked why does nobody in Meteor answer the queries here and the response from the Admins (and I'm not kidding) was "Dave who normally answers these is away this week"!!!!!!!!!!

It's really shocking stuff from these guys, nobody can ever get through to their customer care line, they never get back to you and now the iPhone seems to be too advanced for their network!

It's a shame, because I'd love this company to do well, they're Irish, they're pretty good at Marketing I have to say but it's the service that lets them down and at the end of the day, thats what really matters. Whether you have a usable phone that does what it's supposed to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

1 in about every 5 messages send for me first time now. A lot of my friends have iphones so I can send imessages alright. I'm sorry I moved to Meteor now.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭marquise

I've had the same problem with texts. My replacement arrived from Apple today so am hoping that the new phone will be fine!

I really hope it's not emobile/meteor. My other half doesn't have the same problem so I am hoping it's just my phone.

marquise wrote: »
    I've had the same problem with texts. My replacement arrived from Apple today so am hoping that the new phone will be fine!

I really hope it's not emobile/meteor. My other half doesn't have the same problem so I am hoping it's just my phone.

Cool please let us know how you get on. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭marquise

Well, so far so good. I haven't had any problems sending texts with the replacement iPhone and I've been using it since Friday (the problem was happening from day one with the old one).

Hope you get your one sorted soon!

marquise wrote: »

Well, so far so good. I haven't had any problems sending texts with the replacement iPhone and I've been using it since Friday (the problem was happening from day one with the old one).

Hope you get your one sorted soon!

Thanks, let me know if it changes or they start failing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

With emobile(meteor) and had this problem too got replacement sim and all ok now. So might be a iphone issue. Surely if it was meteor, a replacement phone wouldnt fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 rustydrog

Guys post meteor problems here. Its seems like everyone is having strikingly similar issues.

http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=2774&hl=

Let meteor know about it, we're more likely to get it resolved if enough people contact them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

Any updates on this I'm having the same issues and one meteor?

Really annoying, who do I contact Apple or Meteor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

My g/f was was having similar problems with her 4S (only with MMSs) and a call to O2 customer care fixed it. She did two re-sets, without needing to go into a store or get the phone changed, so maybe this will help some people:

Method 1. Settings >>> General >>> Reset >> Reset Network Settings

That’s the most common reset method and the one I think they do in-store most often.

Method 2. Settings >>> General >>> Network >>> Cellular Data Network >>> Reset Settings.

Can’t positively say which one worked, but between the two of them it did the job.

Advertisement