Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sources of protein for muscle gain?

Options
  • 16-11-2011 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

I'm starting a weights programme at a gym, could someone please recommend some sources of protein for me that will help with muscle gain?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭SM01

Eggs and cottage cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Eggs, milk, whey, caesin, cottage cheese. These are all vegetarian but obvious not vegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Protein is not the be all and end all of muscle building.Here's a good site that has vegan options for muscle building

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/4-forgotten-muscle-building-carbs.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/justin3.htm

personally its barley and potatoes for the win!

Protein is not the be all and end all of muscle building.Here's a good site that has vegan options for muscle building

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/4-forgotten-muscle-building-carbs.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/justin3.htm

personally its barley and potatoes for the win!

Building muscle is energy intensive, your body needs excess calories. it needs energy to work out and to to repair. That's what the barely and potatoes are for. But they aren't muscle building. You NEED protein to build muscle. Protein provides the building blocks, carbs provide the energy to put them together.

Vegans would need to make sure they get enough soy, or similar proteins to build muscle, as well as enough energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Soya, pea, hemp, and rice proteins :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

There's a book called "meat is for pussies" which is about vegan strength training. I dont know how good it is, but I know it contains recipes, so it might be worth a glance.

Some studies indicate soy has testosterone reducing effects and oestrogen promoting ones. I dont know whether that is true but personally I avoid it.

I dont think the amino acid profile of rice is that good. Whey and casein proteins are the best to use if taking supplements.

Quinoa
    is an excellent vegetable source of high quality protein. The amino acid profile of mushrooms is also excellent, but they are not high in protein.

Eggs and milk are very good of course.

Lentils, beans, peas are all good because they contain high levels of amino acids that are low in cereals (and vice-versa)

Meat is for Pussies is written by John Joseph, singer with the Cro-Mags. I haven't read it but the reviews I've seen tend to regard him as a fanatic....his Facebook postings are full of conspiracy theory-type stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Absurdum wrote: »
    Meat is for Pussies is written by John Joseph, singer with the Cro-Mags. I haven't read it but the reviews I've seen tend to regard him as a fanatic....his Facebook postings are full of conspiracy theory-type stuff...

sounds cool!

the lad has energy, no doubt about that

wow I hope he doesnt think his own physique is any sort of ad for what he advocates.

There are some sample menus in these articles, by people who report good results from strength training on a vegetarian/vegan diet:

http://chriscolucci.blogspot.com/2009/04/life-without-my-meat-part-1.html
    http://chriscolucci.blogspot.com/2009/04/life-without-my-meat-part-2.html
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/jb-goes-vegetarian

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

raw eggs are the best way to go for quick muscle gain. loads of protein and vitamins

paky wrote: »
    raw eggs are the best way to go for quick muscle gain. loads of protein and vitamins

Protein in raw eggs is less bio available. You absorb something in the region of 55% versus over 90% if the egg is cooked.
    There is actually a risk of biotin deficiency if you eat raw eggs long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Quorn is another good source of protein. Cheap and easy to use instead of meat in a meal, just go easy on the pre-pared quorn stuff - lots of pastry. You can get quorn chicken fillets, or chunks, or mince, which would be good options.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Protein in raw eggs is less bio available. You absorb something in the region of 55% versus over 90% if the egg is cooked.
    There is actually a risk of biotin deficiency if you eat raw eggs long term.

raw eggs are far more nutritious for you and you can eat more. cooking eggs oxidises the cholestral in the yolk which is bad for the body. it also detroys many of the vitamins within egg. egg yolk contains a mineral which prevents biotin deficiency.

There's no oxygen exposure during boiling or poaching so oxidisation is impossible.
    Fried eggs are nicest when cooked on a very low heat. They dont go hard at the bottom or stick this way. It also minimises oxidisation.

There is no mineral that prevents biotin deficiency. Biotin is what prevents biotin deficiency. What is your source for the assertion that cooking an egg destroys vitamins in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

raw eggs are far more nutritious for you and you can eat more. cooking eggs oxidises the cholestral in the yolk which is bad for the body. it also detroys many of the vitamins within egg. egg yolk contains a mineral which prevents biotin deficiency.

Cooked eggs have twice the bioavailability of protein compared to raw eggs according to this: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.abstract
    Which is what the OP was asking about.

Also, as above, any published studies to back up what you said?

There's no oxygen exposure during boiling or poaching so oxidisation is impossible.
    Fried eggs are nicest when cooked on a very low heat. They dont go hard at the bottom or stick this way. It also minimises oxidisation.

There is no mineral that prevents biotin deficiency. Biotin is what prevents biotin deficiency. What is your source for the assertion that cooking an egg destroys vitamins in it?
    WeeBushy wrote: »
    Cooked eggs have twice the bioavailability of protein compared to raw eggs according to this: http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.abstract

Which is what the OP was asking about.

Also, as above, any published studies to back up what you said?

avidin

Thanks for the response, but you've misunderstood this information. It actually says the opposite to what you have taken it as.
    avidin is an antinutrient in human food.[19] A 1966 study published in Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications found that the structure of avidin remains stable at temperatures below 70 °C (158 °F). Above 70 °C (158 °F), avidin's structure is rapidly disrupted and by 85 °C (185 °F), extensive loss of structure and ability to bind biotin is found.

This stuff is a protein that interferes with getting biotin from food. It doesn't prevent biotin deficiency - it actually causes it.

Cooking stops it from having this effect. It is interesting to see that you need to boil an egg for four minutes to completely deactivate this effect.

Quinoa may increase igf-1 levels, which would be highly beneficial to strength training.

This is particularly useful for someone who doesn't drink milk. Milk is often reccommended in large quantities for strength training* because it is known to cause an increase in the same hormone. This is particularly true in American milk because cows are injected with hormones that cause artificially high levels of the hormone in the milk. In the EU it is illegal to do this because of the associated cancer risk.

My understanding is that quinoa causes an increase in your own production of IGF-1, while milk contains IGF-1. Increasing your own production of it would strike me as being a lot healthier.

*For example GOMAD is often recommended - which stands for gallon of milk a day. This is part of the very popular and proven starting strength programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Mellor wrote: »
    Eggs, milk, whey, caesin, cottage cheese. These are all vegetarian but obvious not vegan.

Not all whey products are vegetarian.

• Advertisement

kraggy wrote: »
    Not all whey products are vegetarian.
    Any plain whey i've seen has been vegetarian.
    Some shakes out there aren't vegetarian as they contain other stuff than whey. But not everything that has whey as an ingredient is considered whey.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Zelkova

Try dulce or dilisk as it is also known, it's extremely tasty too. I collected some from greystones beach fresh after a storm. Fried it up with a little garlic and an egg on the side. Amazed with the texture and flavour.
    I've been told seaweed has more protein and is easier digested than beef.
    Supposedly it's still very popular and widely available in Donegal.
    Scored a bag of it dried from a chef friend and have a mind to cook it up for lunch with the lemo sole i got earlier at the fish mongers.

Seaweed, including dillisk I guess, has decent protein content. (but not beef or meats, thats a myth).
    But its so light that you can't each the same amounts as easily. 100g of seeweed would be hard to get through I'd imagine. Compared with a scoop of whey or cottage cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ToddFedoruk

The morning meal is known as the most crucial meal among all. Essentially, it needs to include certain foods low in fat along with loaded with healthy proteins. That protein consumption needs to proceed through the day. Your gastrointestinal tract can create aminos by simply breaking the proteins, and additionally your body makes use of them to revive the muscles plus cells, and the body organs hydrated. Body builders are specifically looking after the proteins along with the portions they usually consume. It is because proteins help them to build up powerful muscular areas. For bodybuilders, the body will combine proteins from all sources, some sort of high-protein breakfast is important.

Most likely the most effective protein source are eggs. Typically the proteins located in chicken eggs are incredibly important mainly because they fit in with the group of complete proteins. These proteins found in chicken eggs are subsequently broken into aminos. That egg yolk is usually rather important mainly because of the proteins, fats and additionally good cholesterol it includes. We presume you really don’t need to have virtually any recipes on how to prepare chicken eggs, due to the fact everyone can make a good omelet or even to boil eggs.

Advertisement