Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas/Winter Warmer

Options
  • 16-11-2011 6:04pm
    Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

I'm running a bit late but I'm going to try and get a brew done for around Xmas and I'll be starting tomorrow. I'm using a Coopers english bitter kit along with 1KG of muntons hopped light spray malt and maybe 200-300 grams of muscovado. I'm going to add some seasonal spices and don't have any muslin bags so I was thinking: just do a separate 'tea' with a litre or 2 of water, 4 cinnamon sticks, 1 nutmeg seed, 1 vanilla bean, 1.5 tsp. whole cloves, 8-10 coriander seeds, orange peel from 1 orange.. straining and adding it after 15mins on the boil.
    Then after fermentation conditioning with honey.

Any thoughts or apprehensions? I haven't done an xmas/winter warmer before but I have looked at some other sites that have done something similar.

I'm guessing with the above sugars it should come out around 5-6.5% for 40 pints.

Maybe honey will take longer to condition the beer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

The only part I have experience with is priming with honey and I've had excellant results, use this to work out how much you'll need to use for the batch http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?13999025#tag

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Cheers, yeah there's a good one on the John Palmer website too... although it only calculates for sugar though so thanks! Did you find it took longer for honey to carb the beer up or settle out?

Yeh I only found that one because someone posted it up here (Beernut I think, so +1 on the thanks)

I didn't notice any difference in the length of time, I found it cut the bitterness in the beers quite nicely, I was comparing it against the same beer primed with sugar, Ive also used raspberry jam in a red ale with excellant results.

• Subscribers Posts: 688 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Jam!? That's mad, thought there'd be all sorts of preservatives and stuff in jam you wouldn't want near your beer. Also how do you calculate the sugar content as I'd say each jar is different (more so than honey), do you do a hydrometer reading on it mixed with water?
    I've got a brew on anyway.. thought the o.g. 1.040 was a bit low for 1k dme and 230g muscovado, tis bubbling away anyways. Smelled lovely with all the spices and vanilla. It'll probably do 2 wks in the fermenter then 3 wks in bottles... I'd rather 4 or 5 but I won't be able to resist the temptation over Xmas.

zippy84 wrote: »
    Jam!? That's mad, thought there'd be all sorts of preservatives and stuff in jam you wouldn't want near your beer. Also how do you calculate the sugar content as I'd say each jar is different (more so than honey), do you do a hydrometer reading on it mixed with water?
    I've got a brew on anyway.. thought the o.g. 1.040 was a bit low for 1k dme and 230g muscovado, tis bubbling away anyways. Smelled lovely with all the spices and vanilla. It'll probably do 2 wks in the fermenter then 3 wks in bottles... I'd rather 4 or 5 but I won't be able to resist the temptation over Xmas.

I didnt overly think it, i presumed the preservative in a good jam would be sugar, I just boiled down 3 and a bit tablespoons of jam in little water, poured it through a strainer and split it between 2 bottles, then filled with the beer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement