Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

teaching kids

• 16-11-2011 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Do teachers not show kids how the hold there pencils the right way anymore.

Also I feel the kids education is this day and age isn't what it was like when I was youngers. Take this when I was in senior infants we were doing ten and units compared to doing it in second class.

Anyone else feel this way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

No.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes, they are shown how to hold a pencil properly, but many have been shown the incorrect grip before starting school by well-intentioned parents. Not sure when you were at school but we didn't do tens and units in infants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Yes, they are shown how to hold a pencil properly, but many have been shown the incorrect grip before starting school by well-intentioned parents. Not sure when you were at school but we didn't do tens and units in infants.

It was a small school in galway. and yes we did do it it in infants.

I just feel alot of teachers want kids too know how to hold a pencil if they been too a playschool etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Small schools have mixed level classes-you might have 4 classes in one room, hence those children able to latch on could get concepts being taught to older classes (1st/2nd)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Paulbeth

Yes, they are shown how to hold a pencil properly, but many have been shown the incorrect grip before starting school by well-intentioned parents.

I doubt that many parents actually teach their children to hold a pencil at all. I'm not a primary school teacher so I don't know much about the formal teaching of small children but, from my own experience, children seem to just hold their pencils correctly by the time they're three and a half or four. Some, of course, may not have the usual/correct grip, but most would, wouldn't they? I mean, without their parents' intervention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

excuse my ignorance but what is the 'correct'' way? Is there research to back this up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Paulbeth wrote: »
    many have been shown the incorrect grip before starting school by well-intentioned parents.

<snip>

children seem to just hold their pencils correctly by the time they're three and a half or four. Some, of course, may not have the usual/correct grip, but most would, wouldn't they? I mean, without their parents' intervention.
    I'm thinking that either the parent shows them their weird grip, or they copy their parents weird grip. Or if not the parents, whomever they have most interaction with (which in some cases may be a grandparent)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I still use an 'incorrect grip' and I'm 19, go figure. Didn't learn it for everyone, just held it in a way that felt right. Teachers tried to show me the 'right' way to do it but I couldn't do it like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I think there's a huge misconception that all a teacher has to do is say 'Start your sentence with a capital letter' or 'Hold your pencil the right way' and every child in the classroom will magically do it right the first time and every time after that. Any experienced teacher will tell you that's not the way it happens.

Teachers teach these things in school, but children don't hear, or they're looking out the window, they're looking at their friend, they're day-dreaming, they've ADHD, they've ADD, they're on the autistic spectrum, they're hungry, they're upset about something on yard, they're just not interested.......infinite reasons why a child won't learn to hold a pencil the right way, or learn to write the letter b correctly. It's not as easy as saying 'The teacher didn't teach it to them in school'. Sometimes it's down to the child's parents-the parents had a bad time at school when they were younger, so their child goes into school not wanting to learn. Maybe the child doesn't get any help or back up at home, and so the only time he/she is learning anything is when he/she is in school (unfortunately, the child would be competing with 30 other children for the teacher's attention).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

From my own experience, more and more children are coming to school with very weak fine motor skills. I can't get over the amount of children who've never made a jigsaw, held a paintbrush or pencil, or had to tie their own coat before they start school.

With this level coming in, I have to hold back on teaching penmanship for much longer than before. Way more work has to be done on pre-writing than before. I do correct childrens' pencil grip, but a lot of them just don't have the ability to hold it properly yet.

The grip that's usually recommended is the tripod grip, which is holding the pencil loosely between the thumb and first two fingers. If a different way works for an adult, and they're able to write large amounts (eg essays, exams) without difficulty, then that's fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement