Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

will a ford 4000 and ford 2000 lift a standard bale of silage??

• 16-11-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

ok, i have 2 choices. . .

the 4000 isnt working at the moment/well, not really, the 2000 is. . .

while the lift is slow on the 2000 (just needs lift oil i think) it was slow before and we just added oil

am i wasting my time or should i be looking to up grade? hate doing it, but what good is a tractor without been able to comfortably lift. i think its dangerous when a tractor is just barely passing the mark to lift a bail.

in the early 90s both of these tractors were bought, but i cant for the life of me know why as both seem to be just barely able to lift a bale without rising at the front. . with weights included etc. . .

has anyone had experience of lifting silage with either tractor?
    im planning on giving the 2000 a go, and see can i move some bales the weekend... .

ye are all going to tell me now, . . work towards up grading.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

are the bales chopped or unchopped and is the silage wet or dry in the bales ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

baled with the new fusion baler from Mchale, 1 yr old
    mowed with a 11ft mower, from mchale. 2 yr old

from what i can remember, its wasnt wet.

but when i seen a neighbour lift one of them (sold a few) some water came out. . but i think thats normal for water to gather at bottom. . wasnt much at all. .

second cut siliage. . . so it will prob be a tighter bale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

The fusion bale is the heaviest of all. I noticed this when my contractor switched over. There's a lot more silage packed in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

My contractor told me that chopped bales can weight up to 700KG. If thats true or not I don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

2000 has slow hydraulics afaik, but I cant see it lifting a fusion bale, but the 4000 should be up to the job I'd have thought. could well be light out front doing it but should lift it alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

JohnBoy wrote: »
    2000 has slow hydraulics afaik, but I cant see it lifting a fusion bale, but the 4000 should be up to the job I'd have thought. could well be light out front doing it but should lift it alright.

I have lifted them on a front loader on a 4000 never mind the back end. Never sell your 4000, ever. Best tractors ever made.

fusion bale on the front of a 4000?

what sort of loader do you have on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

No, welger bales but they were chopped and not light. She is slow with it though. Its a quicke 2000 loader that we converted to a power loader ourselves. She goes a little light on the back end too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

When we're at the silage the 4000 draws away at the bales. I have seen the front lift betimes, but we wuold usually have a nice wilt on the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Miley2

We use bales in the tub feeder and they range from 650 -730 KG. 1st cut seems to be heavier.
    They were baled with a Fusion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP this could be your answer, sorry couldn't find one cheaper in uk though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D1NN600B-New-Ford-Hydraulic-Pump-550-4000-4500-87607369-/320707986612?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item4aabaf84b4

Maybe you know somebody goin over to do the christmas shoppin:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

blue5000 wrote: »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D1NN600B-New-Ford-Hydraulic-Pump-550-4000-4500-87607369-/320707986612?pt=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item4aabaf84b4

I drew many a bale with Ford 4000, from various balers. Did the job, no problem whatsoever. Struggled a bit with wet bales, going uphill, with front lifting a bit. Apart from that, well able for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have owned a 3600 and a few 4000/4600's. There is no comparison between the two. The 3600, which is just a slightly more powerful 2000 is useless, with a poor lift and a light back axle and rubbish bale.

The 4000 is a decent tractor all round with good hydraulics, decent brakes, a stong axle and independent pto. It will lift any bale that comes its way on the front or back, although i don't personally condone lifting such weights with one on the front loader.

Personally I would sell the 2000 and invest the proceeds into the 4000!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

blue5000 wrote: »

That isn't a 4000 pump! The 4000 pump fits in the side behind the brake pedals. That one slots into the tombstone in the industrial machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Fans of 3 cylinder Fords at home too having a 3000 (with a 4610 engine) and a 3600 and recently traded in a 4610 for a much larger tractor.

Our 3600 handles the silage bales no problem and does all our spraying with a Hardi 600l sprayer which is filled to the top :rolleyes:. It may be a little light but you get used to side braking!

Have McHale bales this year but it hasn't lifted any yet so will know then.....

Will agree with maidhc though that the 4**0's are in a different league though. Our 4610 handled an 8ft fully offset topper with no problem and was not light on the front either....

Will have another 4610 or 4600 or indeed 4630 if I could find one with a comfortable cab (non Fritzmeir and non Ford safety cab) and goosed engine and put our excellent engine from the 3000 in it.

So, I'd get the 4000 fixed NBF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

We hada a neighbours 5210 2wd bringing in fusion bales; I had to reverse out with every one of them the front was lifting so much - admittedly didnt have any weights on the front but I was surprised.

Ok. . . So ill keep the 4000, but ye mention using a front loader , . . Hows the back end? . . Ud think it should be ok. Ill put some weights in the front cradle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

baled with the new fusion baler from Mchale, 1 yr old
    mowed with a 11ft mower, from mchale. 2 yr old

If the 2000 is able to run a fusion or mower, sure she should have no bother lifting them bales!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:p:D:D Can you just imagine......!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Muckit wrote: »
    If the 2000 is able to run a fusion or mower, sure she should have no bother lifting them bales!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:p:D:D Can you just imagine......!

The Amish do it with horses, obviously had an engine somewhere:pac:

Can only find this now.
    8+Amish+Hay+Baling.jpg

Muckit wrote: »

the 2000 didnt use the fusion or the mower, sher . . . sher. . . the ford 2000 would be too narrow for the farm gates/gaps

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

maidhc wrote: »
    That isn't a 4000 pump! The 4000 pump fits in the side behind the brake pedals. That one slots into the tombstone in the industrial machines.
    Thanks Maidhc, did think it looked a bit square alright, couldn't find anyone selling the proper pump though, lot easier find a 5000 pump!

found one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-TRACTORS-4000-HYDRAULIC-PUMP-PART-NO-D0NN600F-/160548269971?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25616c2f93

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

http://v2.gb.sparex.com/ItemDetails/ItemDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=65382&OriginalItemNumber=&CurrentTab=ModelCompatability#Tabs

No bother to get a pump for a 4000, any sparex stockist (which includes many co-op shops) can have it in for you in a week.

I'd assume QTP stockists can probably help too.

Advertisement