Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband?

• 16-11-2011 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,
    I'm in the Cork area and just had a sky rep visiting around the houses saying that Sky Broadband will be available in our area from Jauary. Can't see anything on the web about it or on the sky website so we are thinking its a scam - anybody hear anything about this? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

KarmaKazzi wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm in the Cork area and just had a sky rep visiting around the houses saying that Sky Broadband will be available in our area from Jauary. Can't see anything on the web about it or on the sky website so we are thinking its a scam - anybody hear anything about this? :confused:

It doesn't exist, nor is it likely in the foreseeable future, to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KarmaKazzi

Thanks bealtine, we thought that might be the case - so friggin annoying that these guys are up to this gurrrrr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭travellingbid

When changing my sky package recently I asked the question and they are hoping to launch in Ireland early next year but are having difficulties with other players in the market. I would be wary that your visitor was a scam as knowing sky there would be much more advertising for a launch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

there is broadband from Sky conway I believe,
    but i don't know anything about it, whether its good, bad or otherwise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

Sky have been running conferences the last week or so for all the sales agents. Broadband was not on the agenda. Rumour has it that broadband would be launches in the new year but officially nothing is planned. If I was to hazard a guess I would think that it would be launched in April when the quiet period starts for Sky.

FYI D2D salesmen are notorius of giving any type of story to get a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Unless you see ads in the media for Sky broadband in Ireland then take it that we won't ever see it launched here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I took part in a sky customer survey last week where it was heavily hinted that the broadband market is being considered, but it would be much longer down the line than january.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

For them to participate in the Irish market they'd need to buy an existing provider (like they did in the UK)

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    For them to participate in the Irish market they'd need to buy an existing provider (like they did in the UK)

Guess which one is in the sh1t financially.;)

zerks wrote: »
    Guess which one is in the sh1t financially.;)

And not worth buying unless you feel like buying €4 billion in debts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Had a guy from sky move my dish couple of months back and he mentioned Broadband coming next year, He had been at a staff meeting only a few weeks before.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    And not worth buying unless you feel like buying €4 billion in debts

Anyway rumours are that 3 want to take 'em over.

zerks wrote: »
    Anyway rumours are that 3 want to take 'em over.

The outcome of that would not be good. 3 will only take them if they can re-structure the debts. Eircom really aren't worth much if anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ah, the annual Sky is bringing Broadband to Ireland rumour thread. The truth is this gets bandied around all the time, and Sky will be launching it next year, every year, for the last 10 years. It's not going to happen, because it's no worth their while. The boat sailed on ADSL2+ a long time ago, and that's the only thing that might have worked for them, as is what they did in the UK.

Sky are not bringing broadband to Ireland, no matter what the guy that installs satellite dishes said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement