Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect post deletion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hey Slowburner

Look as I've said before - I've nothing personal against you - quite the opposite as god help us we need a few more to stand our ground - I feel the forum has been damaged as a result of this and to be honest want this finished as family issues take precedence. It's not melodramatic, I've received 2 PMs over this from people saying that they are not going to post again on the forum - I've never had that before. Admittedly one is a new guy, but one has been around for ages, so I do have genuine concerns.

That said

I took a decision to stand down & in fairness couldn't then comment on forum rules as it would undermine the existing mod - I'm sorry if this caused issues, but it just wouldn't have been fair

I still don't think that there should be a rule stating  nobody use the bailiff term as new posters may use it innocently - any breach of forum rules is a ban and to ban for an innocent breach would be harsh. I DO accept that some contributors feel strongly on the matter and think that the polite correction is the best way forward if Bitemybanger agrees . - again , im not gonna undermine him.

I'll happily place the original post and your reply here so anyone interested in the thread can view it - the OP clearly meant only positive comments and I felt your reply was overly harsh - the last paragraph was personal & I deleted it primarily on that.

Can we agree that a soft correction is the way forward ? If the mod is agreeable I'll gladly post to that effect that it's resolved & we can get on with life.

I can't comment much more as my boy is in serious probs here and to be honest there's priorities

Will you agree on a soft comment approach & I'll post to that effect ? Mod - ok with you ?

Originally Posted by fisherking
    Walking here today and saw a fella spinning
    I informed him that it was out of season he gave me the usual ****e
    He said he fished here all year round with no problem!
    I told him again the season was closed and to check the website....
    He muttered something (in his language) and strolled off
    I have had this same conversation a million times in the demesne where i dont even fish so i decided to give the baliff a shout
    I couldnt believe how quick he was on the spot
    Its funny as it turns out the guy was spinning with a single barbless but didnt know the seasons........
    Alot of negative stuff is written about ballifs but i have to say i thought he was excellent
    Just to say if you do see something suspicious give the ifi a call !
    its up to us....

"This is great. Indeed it is down to us.

However, fisheries' officers do not work on behalf of the county Sheriff and they do not assist in the repossession of property. That is what a bailiff does.

A fisheries' officer is not a bailiff and a bailiff is not a fisheries' officer - it's not difficult to understand.

If the intention is to insult a fisheries' officer, then persist in calling him or her a bailiff - whatever floats your boat. "

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Likewise Andi, I have nothing against you.
    Life is too short for that kind of rubbish.
    I think it is a terrible shame that you stood down and I very much hope that you will reconsider this move. The forum would undoubtedly be a poorer one without you.
    Personally, I would be delighted to see you back in your rightful place and I feel certain that not one person would argue against your return.
    There is no need for you to comment any further - you have much more important things to get on with.
    I sincerely wish you all the very best with your son's health.
    Go mberimíd beo ar an am seo arís.

If the remaining mod states clearly, in the angling forum, that there will be a policy of correcting posters who misuse the term bailiff,
    and others who have been offended by the term, are satisfied,
    then yes,
    I would accept the compromise - subject to the wording being unequivocal and evidence of the policy being implemented.

It does not follow that if the issue was listed in the forum rules it could cause problems with a compulsory or automatic issuing of bans to posters who might misuse the word, innocently.
    It is patently clear from the forum charter, that the mods have ultimate discretion in the issuing of bans.
    Personal Abuse
    - Posters who abuse others on here will be banned. Permanent bans will be handed out on a first offence if a moderator feels it is warranted. There is no argument on this one. Abuse someone and you will be banned. Calling someone an idiot is abuse. Don't attack the poster, attack the post.
    Thank you for retrieving the post which started this. There is no evidence of any breach of the forum charter - it is quite clearly the post which is attacked, not the poster.
    If the tone is harsh, it is because it is at the end of a litany of posts I made in response to posters misusing the term and consequently insulting fisheries officers.
    I tried on several occasions to gently remind people and was either ignored or ridiculed. My reminders and the reminders of others had no effect.
    That's why we are here.

I suspect that if I was to 'gently remind' a poster in future, that the thread would be locked, yet again.
    It is the mod's duty to redirect wayward posts, not mine.
    We really need to hear what Bitemybanger has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

slowburner wrote: »
    Likewise Andi, I have nothing against you.
    Life is too short for that kind of rubbish.
    I think it is a terrible shame that you stood down and I very much hope that you will reconsider this move. The forum would undoubtedly be a poorer one without you.
    Personally, I would be delighted to see you back in your rightful place and I feel certain that not one person would argue against your return.
    There is no need for you to comment any further - you have much more important things to get on with.
    I sincerely wish you all the very best with your son's health.
    Go mberimíd beo ar an am seo arís.

If the remaining mod states clearly, in the angling forum, that there will be a policy of correcting posters who misuse the term bailiff,
    and others who have been offended by the term, are satisfied,
    then yes,
    I would accept the compromise - subject to the wording being unequivocal and evidence of the policy being implemented.

It does not follow that if the issue was listed in the forum rules it could cause problems with a compulsory or automatic issuing of bans to posters who might misuse the word, innocently.
    It is patently clear from the forum charter, that the mods have ultimate discretion in the issuing of bans.
    Thank you for retrieving the post which started this. There is no evidence of any breach of the forum charter - it is quite clearly the post which is attacked, not the poster.
    If the tone is harsh, it is because it is at the end of a litany of posts I made in response to posters misusing the term and consequently insulting fisheries officers.
    I tried on several occasions to gently remind people and was either ignored or ridiculed. My reminders and the reminders of others had no effect.
    That's why we are here.

I suspect that if I was to 'gently remind' a poster in future, that the thread would be locked, yet again.
    It is the mod's duty to redirect wayward posts, not mine.
    We really need to hear what Bitemybanger has to say.

I have no problem with any of this.
    If a poster uses the term Bailiff, you have two options.. Either state yourself to the poster in a reply that the term Bailiff is insulting. (any attack on yourself or whoever is giving the reminder will receive an infraction for attacking the poster, not the post)
    or
    send myself a PM or report the post and i will gently remind the poster that fisheries officers take offence to being called Bailiff's and to refrain from doing so in future posts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I have no problem with any of this.
    If a poster uses the term Bailiff, you have two options.. Either state yourself to the poster in a reply that the term Bailiff is insulting. (any attack on yourself or whoever is giving the reminder will receive an infraction for attacking the poster, not the post)
    or
    send myself a PM or report the post and i will gently remind the poster that fisheries officers take offence to being called Bailiff's and to refrain from doing so in future posts.
    I am happy enough to take this as a statement of forum policy.
    However, the reminder should really come from the mods in the first instance.
    If we can have an agreement on this, then the matter can be closed.

If it is up to me, I am happy enough to call an end to this process as a result of Andip's post in the Angling forum.

Happy Christmas to all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

slowburner wrote: »
    I am happy enough to take this as a statement of forum policy.
    However, the reminder should really come from the mods in the first instance.
    If we can have an agreement on this, then the matter can be closed.

Sounds good.
    A PM or report post and I will act accordingly to intent of the use of the term as soon as I get the message.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement