Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keeping bread in the fridge

• 16-11-2011 9:11pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How come most people don't do this?
    I used to do it in the States, when I had a massive fridge. I buy full loaves over here and they go off before I finish them so I started putting them in the fridge and easily get a few days extra out of them.

Then I started wondering what put in that really doesn't need to be.
    Mustard, Eggs, Sun Dried Tomato jars etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

If you put bread in the fridge it doesn't taste as nice.
    I dunno why, we'll need a scientician to answer that.

You don't put eggs in the fridge!? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just buy half loaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I always heard that you either keep bread at room temperature, or freeze it - it goes staler if you keep it in the fridge.

No idea if that's true or a housewife's tale / urban myth - but I abide by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

You weirdo

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Juicyfruit

Would it not obsorb moisture in the fridge and make it taste horrible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Do it all the time.

Never had any ill effects on the bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Do it all the time.

cold sandwiches?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

people freeze bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What's next, milk in the washing machine???

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I never realised people keep bread in the fridge :confused: wtf? it's air that makes bread stale, it being in the fridge won't make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

searching frantically for bread and/or fridge related pun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I don't do it myself, but think of it this way - you make a sandwich for school/work the night before and where do you put it? In the fridge!!!!

So why not leave bread in the fridge?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

amacca wrote: »
    searching frantically for bread and/or fridge related pun

By crumb old boy, this is a fridge too far this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

people freeze bread.

Probably supermarkets before they change the sell-by date on the loaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I honestly throw out more bread than I eat.. wouldn't fancy keeping it in the fridge but it's high time someone invented some useless apparatus which claims to prolong the shelf life.

It's all a conspiracy to make people buy more bread anyway.. just like how it's almost impossible to butter a slice on a cold morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

eggs should be kept at room temperature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Bread in the States doesn't go off. Myself and my ex did an experiment...we had this ridiculous long-distance relationship for 2 and a half years...him in the States, me in Ireland and every time we visited, we'd bring the same piece of American toasted bread back and forth to each other. When we broke up 2 and a half years later, the bread was still edible and perfectly intact.

Moral of the story, you were wasting your time putting that American "bread" in the fridge. Nothing goes off in that country. That's why their 16 year olds look like 30 years olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I stick bread in the freezer sometimes if somebody else in the house has already bought a loaf that day. When it comes time to defrost it, we just pop it on the storage heater for an hour and it thaws out fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

if there's space I'll chuck bread in the fridge..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I honestly throw out more bread than I eat.. wouldn't fancy keeping it in the fridge but it's high time someone invented some useless apparatus which claims to prolong the shelf life.

It's all a conspiracy to make people buy more bread anyway.. just like how it's almost impossible to butter a slice on a cold morning.

They did - it's called a freezer:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

Keep the loaf in the fridge. Tastes grand, survives another week or so.
    Also, don't keep the eggs in the fridge. We have a fancy holder thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Eggs definitely need keeping in the fridge AFAIC.
    Bread gets halfed and put in the freezer and taken out as needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If you buy it from a fridge put it back in the fridge when you get home.

If you buy it from a shelf put it in the cupboard (<< daft word).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Heathens! Bread Bin FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

bread sliced in the freezer, take it out and whack it in the toaster as you need it.
    eggs at room temperature.
    Think about it. They'r not in the fridge in the shop are they?

This is true. I always wondered why some suggest you refrigerate them after purchase.

I always do it to be safe but then again I'm a cautious fellow me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

They're not kept in fridges in the shop because the shop has a turnover rate of sale, whereas my dozen or more eggs may need to stay fresh for a month or more...they do that in the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Bread in the States doesn't go off. Myself and my ex did an experiment...we had this ridiculous long-distance relationship for 2 and a half years...him in the States, me in Ireland and every time we visited, we'd bring the same piece of American toasted bread back and forth to each other. When we broke up 2 and a half years later, the bread was still edible and perfectly intact.

Moral of the story, you were wasting your time putting that American "bread" in the fridge. Nothing goes off in that country. That's why their 16 year olds look like 30 years olds.
    Good old preservatives. They also have cheese in a 'toob'. Mental.
    By the way, you cheated with the toasted bread. It lasts because the moisture content is gone. Try that with an ordinary slice of bread and it'll walk into the fridge itself. To dry out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

Eggs won't last as long not in the fridge but are more suitable for cooking at room temp.

Don't like fridge bread either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Apples aren't in the fridge in the shop but them be damn tasty apples cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Brennans. Today's Bread for a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

Ya buy ketchup from the shelf, but instructions say once opened refrigerate, so not a hard and fast rule. Same for mayo. Taste better cold anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Do it all the time.

I do it as well.
    xLouLoux wrote: »
    Would it not obsorb moisture in the fridge and make it taste horrible?
    I have my bag air tight sealed and no it does not absorb more moisture. The Moisture is already in it, it just condense more, leaving the rest of the bread more drier.
    After three days in the fridge I slightly toast the slices to dry it out.

I also free bread and it rock hard because of all the moisture content in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Degringola wrote: »
    Ya buy ketchup from the shelf, but instructions say once opened refrigerate, so not a hard and fast rule. Same for mayo. Taste better cold anyway!
    Defo in the fridge. All that oil and eggs. Trouble in a jar if you don't refrigerate after opening. I'd rather foods that you gotta stick in the fridge once opened though, it means they're not full of preservatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Neither are many things you have to put in the fridge. You should keep eggs in a fridge and take them out before use so they return to room temperature. Otherwise they will go off much, much quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

A baker I knew once told me that fridges actually dry out the bread, that's why it goes off quicker. His advice - don't store bread in a fridge if you want it to taste nice.

Re American food lasting longer, it's because of irradiation. I've seen a gallon bottle of milk that was in someones fridge for over a month, still hadn't turned.....

Degringola wrote: »

Yeah but that's because they're sealed on the shelf.

Eggs aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭mayobumblebee

i once had a chef tell me that you should not keep eggs in fridge as it affects its cooking and taste. mayo belongs in fridge as does ketchup, my fella insists on salt being kept in fridge i think it makes no difference but he is convinced it keeps it from clumping so it lives in the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I guess I shoulda said it's only bread in the plastic bags that I put in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Wertz wrote: »
    Eggs definitely need keeping in the fridge AFAIC.

Eggs don't need to be kept in the fridge.

Freezer bread is worse than fridge bread, IMO. Only fit for toasting, never for sandwiches.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Eggs last a couple of weeks at room temperature. Why would you need any longer to eat them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I never realised people keep bread in the fridge :confused: wtf? it's air that makes bread stale, it being in the fridge won't make a difference.
    It's actually retrogradation of the starch that makes bread stale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Brennans. Today's Bread for a fortnight.

Speaking of which, anyone notice a difference in manufacturing by auld mr Brennan. Unfortunately I've a nose for these things and it don't taste like it used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

They're not kept in fridges in the shop because the shop has a turnover rate of sale, whereas my dozen or more eggs may need to stay fresh for a month or more...they do that in the fridge.
    Neither are many things you have to put in the fridge. You should keep eggs in a fridge and take them out before use so they return to room temperature. Otherwise they will go off much, much quicker.

They last a few weeks at room temperature, after that time they'd be past their best whether keep in a fridge or not so much better to keep them out of the fridge, IMO. I wouldn't have them for more than a few weeks at the most.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

fullstop wrote: »
    It's actually retrogradation of the starch that makes bread stale.

http://www.paulandstorm.com/tournament/images/Frink.gif
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I put mine in the toaster. Tastes like toast:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

Bread goes in a bread bin

Eggs dont go in the fridge

Ketchup and mayo do go in the fridge

Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

HonalD wrote: »
    Speaking of which, anyone notice a difference in manufacturing by auld mr Brennan. Unfortunately I've a nose for these things and it don't taste like it used to.

None of us taste like we used to!

• Advertisement
Advertisement