Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Recommend Energy Monitor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Big Nelly did you end up buying one? If so how did it go ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ronan45 wrote: »
    Big Nelly did you end up buying one? If so how did it go ?

Not yet, was trying to get a few on here but never picked up one yet!!! Still looking to get one in near future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Big Nelly wrote: »
    That's the one. Got one from airtricity after moving home and had to sent it back as the display was broken. Awaiting for the replacement to be sent.
    Seems to be a lot of these Owl ones cheaper but I haven't a clue how they work? do they clip onto cable as well?
    I still have OWL bought in early 2009 for €40 at Woodies.
    You mount the clip-on sensor the same way as with Airtricity own. Advantage with OWL is the sensor is smaller in size. Other advantage is monitor display being battery operated (3x AA, enough to run it for more than a year) so no additional cables, no chargers, you can stick it, put it mount it wherever you want.

Fancy thing OWL lacks and Airtricity has, is chart display showing daily usage in the last three days.

Me wife says it's brilliant, quick glance at it leaving home and you know if iron is left unplugged.

Would ya reckon its an "own Brand" airtricity monitor? I wonder if it is just an energy monitor they have their name tacked onto built by some other electronics company?
    You may be able to get the airtricity style one elsewhere maybe

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=home+energy+monitor&x=0&y=0&sprefix=home+ene%2Celectronics%2C253

beazee wrote: »
    That's the one. Got one from airtricity after moving home and had to sent it back as the display was broken. Awaiting for the replacement to be sent.

I still have OWL bought in early 2009 for €40 at Woodies.
    You mount the clip-on sensor the same way as with Airtricity own. Advantage with OWL is the sensor is smaller in size. Other advantage is monitor display being battery operated (3x AA, enough to run it for more than a year) so no additional cables, no chargers, you can stick it, put it mount it wherever you want.

Fancy thing OWL lacks and Airtricity has, is chart display showing daily usage in the last three days.

Me wife says it's brilliant, quick glance at it leaving home and you know if iron is left unplugged.

Willing to flog the airtricity one?
    :D

• Advertisement

Willing to flog the airtricity one?
    :D
    Might consider this when replacement arrives.

You could use the Airtricity Monitor to Monitor the Owl Monitor :rolleyes::D

You could use the Airtricity Monitor to Monitor the Owl Monitor :rolleyes::D
    That's what I initially planned to do.
    Check whether there be any difference between them estimates.
    GNgwQl.jpg

PM me then......

• Advertisement

Would ya reckon its an "own Brand" airtricity monitor?
    Hard to tell, the fact is underneath AIRTRICITY label lies SSE Energy label, an Airtricity holding company operating in UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

She would need to stay watching it for a minute or more to confirm the iron is not still plugged in. The stat might have reached its set point and so it appears to be off according to the monitor:D

Hi Beazee & Robbie , Is it worth spending 60 Yo yo on? There is SHOCKING waste in my house, and were all adults there too. Its not about being tight I just hate needless waste to finite resources. Is it more gimmicky device that one would use for years or is it a "back of the gadgets drawer" after a few months?

was thinking about this one
    http://www.theowlireland.com/electricity-saving-device

speaking of OWLS that OWLone on that video clip is such a head wreck lol

There is SHOCKING waste in my house
    Our measured standby consumption was 0.168kW
    Which translates to ca. €36 per bill. (0.168kW*24hrs*61days*€0.15)

With remote control sockets swithing off WiFi/Internet, TV, UPC, games console while we were off we managed to cut it down to 0.048kW draw by fish tank filter.
    Possible savings of €26 per bill.

€40 OWL + €20 RC sockets paid for themselves in 6 months.

Yes, I know the calculations aren't pretty, and in most cases it's only up to 16hrs per day on standby (8h sleep + 8h work) but I like it this way.

Hi Beazee & Robbie , Is it worth spending 60 Yo yo on? There is SHOCKING waste in my house, and were all adults there too. Its not about being tight I just hate needless waste to finite resources. Is it more gimmicky device that one would use for years or is it a "back of the gadgets drawer" after a few months?

I suppose it depends on the user. I have one myself and find it handy enough, although was as much for curiosity as anything else. I connected the sensor inside the DB in the hall, and mounted the transmitter beside the DB

It is quite accurate as it comes close to what the actual bills work out at every 2 months, once the unit price is properly set. They dont read like a proper esb meter reads, as the esb meter measures both voltage and current which is needed for the true KWH`s, where as the monitors just measure current, and assume voltage, which the user sets, (230v for here).

Handy for seeing what the minimum backround load is, and from that you can tell if stuff has been left on.

But getting one and expecting it to mean bills will certainly reduce would be over expecting. There is a lot of wastage, one example is the habit people have of filling a kettle to the very top for 1 cup of tea, every time.

The monitor wouldnt really show the likes of that in an obvious way.

Its the owl one i have.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Hi lads

I just set one of these up. I set the tariff as On my main screen I have it Set to Cost and its showing me 58.72 Cents per Hour. This is well off.
    Just a few lights and tvs on.
    There are 3 screens

Main screen Cost Per hour LIVE
    Small screen to right Total cost per month
    Small Screen Left (time and temp)

Would yas know what it should be saying on average in the main screen for a house? Im gonna mess about with the tariffs again :)

5 energy saving lights, flat tv + upc box, laptop => 0.480kWh = 7.2c/hr

Basically 15c/unit * 0.48 = 7.2c/hr

Better putting 18 cent per unit in, this then has vat included.

robbie7730 wrote: »

Hi Robbie OK I have the Owl 160 I have my tarriff Set up as 15.79 Cents/Hour in the main screen. Should I be putting in 0.18?:o
    I have just 1 tarriff set up also as im on a standard bill

TARRIFF MENU

CENTS
    /HOUR

TAR 1

Hi Robbie OK I have the Owl 160 I have my tarriff Set up as 15.79 Cents/Hour in the main screen. Should I be putting in 0.18?:o
    I have just 1 tarriff set up also as im on a standard bill

16.19 is the standard unit not incl vat. 18.37 is incl vat.

So it depends if you want the vat inclusive cost of the units used.

For the bill cost, the standing charge would have to be added by the user.

• Advertisement

16.19 is the standard unit not incl vat. 18.37 is incl vat.

So it depends if you want the vat inclusive cost of the units used.

For the bill cost, the standing charge would have to be added by the user.

Cheers Robbie, Have now edited my tarriff to 18.37. I THINK i have it done right anyway. My main screen is hovering around 14.79 now looks about right.

AHA I just copped something I think i had it set to show KW per hour. I can see now it just shows just "/HOUR" I think before it had "KWH"
    16.27 looks more like it. Cheers for your help :)

If you multiply the screen KWH reading by the 18.37, this should give you the screen cost per hour. That way you know the unit price you have in is correct and all is right.

I'm too lazy for that. Using this yoke to monitor energy consumption only. Final bill assessed from actual meter reading supplied then to Airtricity.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Airtricity monitor is a rebranded http://www.currentcost.com/ monitor.

You can buy extra equipment for it such as the USB cable to hook it up to a PC :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

bk wrote: »
    The Airtricity monitor is a rebranded http://www.currentcost.com/ monitor.

You can buy extra equipment for it such as the USB cable to hook it up to a PC :D

You can hack one from an ethernet cable and a USB to serial adapter you might have sitting around. Then you can use www.Pachube.com to build sexy graphs like this:

1.png

which allows you to see what time of day your greatest usage is.

Hi Guys

Looking to get the following one: http://www.efergy.com/index.php/default/products-uk-1/electricity-monitors/e2v2-wirelesssmonitor-uk.html

Has anyone got this one? is it any good?

Hi Guys

Looking to get the following one: http://www.efergy.com/index.php/default/products-uk-1/electricity-monitors/e2v2-wirelesssmonitor-uk.html

Has anyone got this one? is it any good?

I got I bought this one anyway, should have in next few days so will give it a test run and put feedback up here!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Gerard93

I got I bought this one anyway, should have in next few days so will give it a test run and put feedback up here!!!!

Looking forward to see what you think of this, I'm tempted to get one but don.t know what to get, just reading through various posts.

Hey guys

Some initial feedback, running it only a few days as was away. More or less what you know:
    • Kettles are a killer
    • Electric shower(Triton) is mad heavy on Power. Have an older one T90xr and going to change to see if it will conserve more Power. Need to change anyway
    • Surprised at how much toaster uses
    • I had TV, Sky box, Xbox, DVD and electric phone transfer all left on overnight, just changing to keeping Sky box on for plus recording saves a load over night

Apart from that those looking for feedback, seems a good tool, very up to date and easy to work. I am using the beta software(work in IT so always go for newest and best)

• Advertisement

[*]Kettles are a killer
    Don't get caught there. Duration is the key.
    Just because my car's display shows 4mpg when I floor it hard up the hill doesn't mean I won't get high 40s mpg on average.

Actual cost of getting the water boiled would be:
    3kWh units x 3 minutes / 60 mins per hour * 18cent per unit = 2.7 cent each time.
    Many times you boil full kettle water to make 1 cuppa? 3 times a day? There you go - 10 cent daily.

While say TV + Sky box + Xbox + DVD on standby consume overall of 0.5kW per hour but do it for mimimum of 16 hrs a day (8 sleep + 8 work):

0.5kWh units x 16 hours * 18 cents = €1.44 per day.
    [*]Electric shower(Triton) is mad heavy on Power. Have an older one T90xr and going to change to see if it will conserve more Power. Need to change anyway
    [*]Surprised at how much toaster uses
    Same story. They seem to consume incredible amounts of power but for 15 mins per shower and ca. 2 mins for two toasts.

Advertisement