Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Energy Monitor

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Belly, have you noticed that they all have heating elements. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ted1 wrote: »
    Belly, have you noticed that they all have heating elements. ;)

Who is Belly? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Any update on the Energy Monitor Big Nelly,how is it working out??

Hey guys

Sorry was just going to download information today. Handy tool, have saved some power but really haven't kicked in properly

Few things I have noted:
    Have down lights in kitchen and a few rooms. Using GU10 blubs, originally had energy savers bulbs in these. Just put ordinary ones in when replacing. They are very high on Power usage. And when you have 8 downlights in Kitchen where lights would be on a lot it is a massive drain on power

Plug out your mobile charger, I know everyone says this but I never done

It is good because you can see exactly what you are using when you think everything is off. I would recommend but maybe for a few months.

I might sell mine on:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Using GU10 blubs, originally had energy savers bulbs in these. Just put ordinary ones in when replacing. They are very high on Power usage.

This was first I've done after buying an energy monitor. Replaced all 50W GU10 halogens with GU10 3W leds. Went down from total of 1100W in downlights to mere 66W. Although it got a bit dark there, not the best choice but an interesting experience. 48 led 3W GU10 spotlight was giving same amount of light as ca. 25-30W bulb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Plug out your mobile charger, I know everyone says this but I never done

Are mobile phone chargers drawing power when they are not connected to a phone ???

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

i got one in Maplin last week - €16, does job fine

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Are mobile phone chargers drawing power when they are not connected to a phone ???

Yes

Anything with a transformer will continue to draw current when.not being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I have the airtricity monitor, I did notice the ethernet port on it allright, has anybody any details on how I can hack this to use it? Or what I can do with it? I see the graph a few posts back but was just looking for info on how to hack it? thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I have the airtricity monitor, I did notice the ethernet port on it allright, has anybody any details on how I can hack this to use it? Or what I can do with it? I see the graph a few posts back but was just looking for info on how to hack it? thanks!

You can buy a cable from Current Cost or you can hack one yourself. You need a USB - TTL converter (I happened to have one lying around, but you can get them on ebay for cheap from Hong Kong) and an old ethernet cable.

Details are up here:

http://www.cookinrelaxin.com/2008/06/how-to-hack-current-cost-energy-monitor.html

The device outputs xml and there are a few programs built which will squirt your data to patchube.com which will build lovely graphs for you liek this:

1.png?width=730&height=250&colour=%23f15a24&duration=6months&show_axis_labels=true&detailed_grid=true&timezone=UTC

(server is a bit flakey at the moment and I just noticed that my feed has been down for a couple of weeks)

stimpson wrote: »
    You can buy a cable from Current Cost or you can hack one yourself. You need a USB - TTL converter (I happened to have one lying around, but you can get them on ebay for cheap from Hong Kong) and an old ethernet cable.

Details are up here:

http://www.cookinrelaxin.com/2008/06/how-to-hack-current-cost-energy-monitor.html

The device outputs xml and there are a few programs built which will squirt your data to patchube.com which will build lovely graphs for you liek this:

1.png?width=730&height=250&colour=%23f15a24&duration=6months&show_axis_labels=true&detailed_grid=true&timezone=UTC

(server is a bit flakey at the moment and I just noticed that my feed has been down for a couple of weeks)

Thanks bought one of the cables but having driver trouble with windows 7.. according the website it should just download drivers automatically on windows 7.

It starts installing and then I get an error saying "device driver was not successfully installed" Please consult with device manufacturer etc.

Anybody having the same issue? tried downloading drivers and restarting but still now joy....

EDIt: Finally Got it working! Link on this forum here... spent a couple of hours looking for dirvers etc.!

Does anybody know of a program that will log the data locally? Draw a graph in excel or something? What software do you use for patchube.com stimpson? Seems so many options out there... signed up to Enio.co.uk but don't know how good it is... Just want somebody to reccomend something rather than having to try them all out!

Anybody use Enio? My meter shows 1.3 - 1.4K Watt most of the time (farm pumps etc. runnig of it) but my enio graph shows 1Kwh less than this which is weird...about .3 or .4 kWh for 15m averages, surely if it's a constant 1.3-1.4 this should be the kWh reading on the graph the enio program shows the correct reading.... Isn't a Kilo watt hour the amount of energy used when something consuming a kW is left on for an hour? Am i missing something or is the website dodge?

The 15 minute isn't displaying as a rate, its shown the number of units used. If the meter is shown 1.3kw and the system is shown 1kw less then that is .3kwh. 4 15 minutes are .3 x 4 which add up to 1.2kwh.

Kwh is true consumption, kw is the instantaneous rate.

ted1 wrote: »
    The 15 minute isn't displaying as a rate, its shown the number of units used. If the meter is shown 1.3kw and the system is shown 1kw less then that is .3kwh. 4 15 minutes are .3 x 4 which add up to 1.2kwh.

Kwh is true consumption, kw is the instantaneous rate.

Ah right cool thanks that makes sense and makes me feel rather stupid! Should have looked at the units more closely!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

Hi everyone.
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about the best energy monitor to buy. Electricity costs are through the roof. Have a lot of down lighters in the house as well as Triton electric shower. I see people are using LED lights - do these save a lot? Also have 2 uplighters with 230W and 50W in both (energy saving). Would like to hear suggestions on these too.
    Thanks

Monsclara wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about the best energy monitor to buy. Electricity costs are through the roof. Have a lot of down lighters in the house as well as Triton electric shower. I see people are using LED lights - do these save a lot? Also have 2 uplighters with 230W and 50W in both (energy saving). Would like to hear suggestions on these too.
    Thanks

Sticking mine up for sale if you are interested? it is good and helped me save alot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Started this thread yesterday looking for help.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79251888

Can anyone help me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

cena wrote: »
    Started this thread yesterday looking for help.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79251888

Can anyone help me out.

Have you checked the batteries in the remote transmitter?

freddyuk wrote: »
    Have you checked the batteries in the remote transmitter?

changed them. still no good. its not connecting with the transmitter

• Advertisement

Have both same channel set up? Usually you have three channels to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Reset button? Small hole in the back of the transmitter?? Might need re - pairing.

freddyuk wrote: »
    Reset button? Small hole in the back of the transmitter?? Might need re - pairing.

done that. does not work.

So does anyone know how to get the singal working on this this.
    Did the trouble shooting that is on there site still does not work.
    It isn't reading anything since friday
    changed them. still no good. its not connecting with the transmitter

Is it about no reading or unable to pair?
    Are you sure the clamp is on the LIVE (brown) cable in your meter box?

What's on the display? "--" not paired or "0" no consumption?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭championc

Got myself an Airtricity monitor (rebadged CurrentCost CC128) and must say I'm very disappointed with it. It seems pointless to me that it calculates a cost for a month based on the current load rather than looking at the usage over 24hrs and calculating based on this average ...... unless of course I've missed something ?

Cost for month was showing €60 until I boiled a kettle and it then jumped up to €230. I'd hardly be boiling a kettle 24 x 7

Advertisement