Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW laptop asking for partition sizing. Help Quick as startup question

Options
  • 16-11-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

would be pleased if someone could explain why to partition and recommend the distribution i should go for?
    its 4GB Ram and 2nd gen i5, at first start up is asking me to split my hd into C and D, what should i do?
    its 579GB total it says.
    wants to do 229 on C and 344 od D. is this best recommended split?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

Won't really make a difference whatever you do TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

I'd just make it all one drive, Drive C. That way if you run out of space you just put another drive in, but if you partition it then it's very hard to change those partitions without having to move things off the Drive D partition.

If you leave it all as one drive then you don't have to think about it again until it's nearly full...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

One reason to do it is that the fastest part of the drive is at the start. You could keep all your programs that you want to access regularly near the beginning and say, music files near the end that don't need high speed.

A downside is that moving files between partitions will take longer than moving around folders on a single partition.

Advertisement