Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convenient + safe place to live?

Options
  • 16-11-2011 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey all,

Have just been offered a job in Parkmore, and as I don't know Galway very well at all I was hoping I could get some tips on good places to rent.

I'll be moving across with my wife next week, and we're looking for somewhere quiet and safe, but also preferably close(ish) to both Parkmore and a decent bus route into town(I drive but she does not!)

If you could point out the nice areas/estates and also the places to avoid, we could use it as a guide when we get over there. Have been reading through several similar threads already but they seem to be a few years old.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Roscam.

Some estates in Doughiska are better than others. Coil Tire is nice, lots of guards live there - but it can be loud when they have a party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 m.a.c.

cheers Mary - yeah i've heard Roscam is pretty nice, just not a lot of places there listed on daft. I wonder is it easy enough to find available property to rent in Galway? We've literally got one week to find a place to live! No pressure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

m.a.c. wrote: »
    cheers Mary - yeah i've heard Roscam is pretty nice, just not a lot of places there listed on daft. I wonder is it easy enough to find available property to rent in Galway? We've literally got one week to find a place to live! No pressure ;)

I found it difficult enough to find a place in Galway, took 2 full days travelling here will a full days viewing each day. Roscam is good, pretty much all the estates here seem decent. An Fiodan, Castan & Coill Tire in Doughiska are good, a few others I viewed in the Doughiska area were poor but when you get viewings you will see for yourself. My advice is to ring anywhere that looks semi decent that hasn't been advertised for too long and get a viewing, Tuam Road would also be a viable location for you but I'm not sure how good that is for public transport.

Try the Galway advertiser also http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/classifieds/accommodation-property & good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

There's bound to be something in Roscam, they couldn't be all full.

If you're working in Parkmore there's the added bonus of being on the No.9 route, i think a bus goes that way every 15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

You could always try Oranmore.A little bit further out but well serviced by buses and rents a bit cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For Roscam
    Adverts
    Daft

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Tuam Road would also be a viable location for you but I'm not sure how good that is for public transport.

Try the Galway advertiser also http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/classifieds/accommodation-property & good luck.

For getting to Parkmore from the Tuam Rd you'd need to somewhere around the Trappers. The #3 bus goes along the Tuam Rd and out (currently) to the RAB in Ballybrit. I'm not sure what they've planned for when the RAB finises and there's nothing on the BE site the last I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

I'd go Roscam end of Doughiska (An fiodan, an Castan, Tur Uisce). Number 9 bus will take you to Parkmore and goes into city center the other way.

Bus stop is a bit more of a trek from Roscam, though granted, not by much.

Cheers guys for all the great advice. Really helpful. Thinking Roscam would probably suit us best, but also hearing lots of noises about Oranmore. Just how good is the public transport system out there? I know its a little bit out of the way. Would it be viable to get buses from there into the city? And how often/late would they run?

Thanks again. Going over to Galway probably Monday of next week, and planning to stay for a few days while we look at as many houses as possible.

Actually while i'm at it - can anyone recommend any decent letting agencies to call before I head over?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Oranmore is well served by buses as all the bus eireann intercity buses stop there and also some of the private companies like citylink.

A nite out in galway will cost ya as taxis to oranmore are dear.

Its a nice village tho. I would pick it ahead of roscam as it has more amenities.

• Advertisement

skelliser wrote: »
    Oranmore is well served by buses as all the bus eireann intercity buses stop there and also some of the private companies like citylink.

A nite out in galway will cost ya as taxis to oranmore are dear.

Its a nice village tho. I would pick it ahead of roscam as it has more amenities.

Served, yes. Well served, umm, no, not compared to Roscam / Doughiska which has a 15 minute service during the day, and every 30 minutes nights and Sundays. Also note that BE's weekly tickets apply to the city buses, but not to buses from Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i stand corrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

skelliser wrote: »
    i stand corrected!
    But oranmore is a far nicer area..by a long shot but that's just my opinion and up to the OP to decide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I think your best bet is to get a place in Roscam/Doughiska for 6 months (be sure not to sign for longer) and when you get to know the area better you can decide where to move to. Oranmore is lovely but you have much better commuter options closer to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

I am also moving to Galway, and I'm debating whether to live in the city centre or whether to go out into the suburbs. How long would an average journey from Eyre Square to Parkmore on the number 9 bus take?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

alexjk wrote: »
    I am also moving to Galway, and I'm debating whether to live in the city centre or whether to go out into the suburbs. How long would an average journey from Eyre Square to Parkmore on the number 9 bus take?
    Average about 12-15mins. On a good day 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

Ah grand, then city centre living is a viable option!

Depends totally on the time of day.

I'd be mightly impressed to get to Parkdmore in 10 mins: it's usually 10 to get to Roscam (and yes, it's a trip I make often).

The 8am bus goes via the clinic, so is particulaly slow ... allow 40 mins for it, and 25 for other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

What?! It's just under12-15 minutes to GMIT!

It's about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic!

Hi guys, cheers for all the help.

Went over to Galway yesterday morning and viewed about 8 places between yesterday and today. Finally settled on a place in Roscam.

Have to say though, there wasn't an awful lot to choose from, certainly not what you'd expect from a city anyway. And several of the agencies I called simply had no reply when i asked them about a 2/3 bedroom house in a quiet area on the east side of town!

Anyway, hopefully Roscam will be fine, and thanks again for all your help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

m.a.c. wrote: »
    Hi guys, cheers for all the help.

Went over to Galway yesterday morning and viewed about 8 places between yesterday and today. Finally settled on a place in Roscam.

Have to say though, there wasn't an awful lot to choose from, certainly not what you'd expect from a city anyway. And several of the agencies I called simply had no reply when i asked them about a 2/3 bedroom house in a quiet area on the east side of town!

Anyway, hopefully Roscam will be fine, and thanks again for all your help!

It's not a great time to be looking to be fair. All the Students normally fill them up before September each year. Welcome to Galway :)

Advertisement