Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blocked foulwater (sewer) drain

• 16-11-2011 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Ok, having some problem with a blocked sewer.
    I'm on the sewer but not having the worst problems.
    Have tried getting it jetted with water, but that seems to only have been temporary, what could be causing this???

Would the foul water (sewer) drain be 110mm plastic pipe? I assume its plastic.

Concerned about rodding in case rod gets stuck and as jetting was only temporarily successful.

Can anyone recommend chemicals to help clear it. Maybe some kind Grease cleanser, industrial type?? Or maybe Acid or Alkali cleaners? maybe these will help break down what is blocking it and then allow rodding to be easier? and in what quantity?

I got some caustic soda in a hardware shop, but it is a small quantity. I was looking for more, maybe 5-10kgs in a bag, can I get this anywhere in that quantity?

I also got another chemical cleaner for drains, which says it has acid (sulphuric)in it. I assume it should have no lasting corrosive effect on the pipe if it is plastic?? as it is for drains. I intend on testing it on a plastic 110mm section I have to see if it has an effect on it.

I know not to mix the two lest a violent chemical reaction occurs, and if one doesnt work intend to flush as much as possible (considering its blocked) intend wearing gloves, gloves and a mask (not dust only) and keeping covered up.

advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

nice long post with next to no details of the sewer in question.
    with a touch of mystery
    I'm on the sewer but not having the worst problems.

Are there any manholes?

How did u jet it?

how do u know it blocked

what distance is involved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

what mystery?
    Im on the run of the foulwater drain?? Im near the start

There is a square manhole at the end of the run, its full.
    noticed as downstairs toilet wouldnt flush, opened small cover in garden and it had standing foul water in it, it doesnt usually. Checked with neighbours, some affected more than others.

Got a private contractor to jet it from the manhole in the last garden on the run it cleared the line, it cleared and the whole thing emptied.
    Then it started to fill up again slowly? which i dont understand? Its about 20 metres, to where I think the main sewer runs perpindicular, but thats maybe 30 metres away from the nearest large round manhole.

There is a square manhole (its made up of two triangular metal pieces, but its on the road, is that a sewer drain or water supply or surface water drain? dont plan on getting knocked down)

Not sure rodding will do over this lenght, thought, try clear it again? then pour chemicals in to dissolve whatever is blocking it?

So any ideas on chemicals and in enough quantity, dont want to be running back and forth, prefer but a big bag of something and chuck it in till it sorts it?

So any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

If its on the main road, as in public road its the councils problem not yours, You don't sound like you have a clue what you are at and would recommend you get someone who knows their **** , so to speak. If you cleared the line of your houses and it filled up slowly it is not on your property, but further down the line, I really would recommend you call the council.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    If its on the main road, as in public road its the councils problem not yours, You don't sound like you have a clue what you are at and would recommend you get someone who knows their **** , so to speak. If you cleared the line of your houses and it filled up slowly it is not on your property, but further down the line, I really would recommend you call the council.

have done, council dont want to know, they say blockage is in the private drain, thought the private guy reckons it might he thinks its in the public drain, council say they have no other problems (to me that means no reports of problems, but they haven't looked).
    They say the private drain ends where it connects to the public, even if it is not on private property.
    Unfortunately already called the guys that know their shoite, but unfortunately they didnt resolve the problem.

I was saying there are manholes on the path (round) and road (square but made of two halves)
    As the council have absolved themselves of responsibility, private contracotrs cant do it, what option do we have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

go back to the council, hassle them for the maps. figure out flow direction based on slope of the ground, and you should find the blockage is public or private.
    anybody do groundworks nearby recently ?

• Advertisement

whizbang wrote: »
    go back to the council, hassle them for the maps. figure out flow direction based on slope of the ground, and you should find the blockage is public or private.
    anybody do groundworks nearby recently ?

Done that, got plans but council say they might not be accurate, the private drain is not marked on it anyway, the area of the blockage has no building or trees.
    Can see how it flows as when the private guy cleared it, the whole lot stuck in the line went out in a deluge, thought great, thats that sorted. Next day noticed it was filling up again, surely that means the private drain cleared and the blockage is in the main, but council insist not them, it seems very odd to me that a drain is considered private after it passes through the manhole in the last garden? as from then on it seesm like it is on public ground, but council say its not public till it enters the main drain?? that seesm like an excuse to get out of clearing it to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Stick a camera down is the simplest, see where the blockage is and hopefully its on the council side, but it will have to be cleared mechanically no solvents or chemicals will clear it.

Stick a camera down is the simplest, see where the blockage is and hopefully its on the council side, but it will have to be cleared mechanically no solvents or chemicals will clear it.

priced cameras, its expensive, can they be hired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You get a guy to come and do the survey.

Try to get a recommendation for the person to do the survey. If he is knowledgeable about his job, he will be able to suggest a resolution after doing the survey.

You really need someone to open the sewer on the road. That will give you a much better idea where the problem is.

If the council won't even come out and look at it, I would try talking to your local councillor.

It is incorrect of them to conclude that because they've only had a complaint in relation to one drain, that that means that the public sewer is not blocked.

Didnt really want to respond to this, least not till the problem was sorted.
    I dont know why you would say I dont sound like I have a clue, tbh I think you were maybe being intentionally insulting?? do you clean drains for a living? How did I not seem to not have a clue, when the guy who was paid to fix it did not sort the problem?
    This was sorted with a few rods, the guy employed insisted on use high pressure water repeatedly without rodding, thing is I think he knew his Shoite, he knew it would be easier to jet than rod.
    I never really thought there was too much to it but i wanted advice as if there was chemicals to help dissolve/dislodge the problem before rodding. We use washing up liquid to dissolve grease on dishes!? I find it hard to believe a more industrial equivalent in more industrial quantities doesn't exist.
    I just dont know why people dont just say you cant get those chemicals etc, instead some people come on and just criticise?
    Cant say I understand that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭aah yes

How dear are dyno-rod these days .

you mean what price are they? :)
    Well as it happens they were the dearest by quite but not the company used.
    Id suggest you ring them to ask though

Advertisement