Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything else to try - broken NIC

Options
  • 16-11-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

I have an Asus Eee and out of the blue the NIC has stopped working.

I thought I might check in this forum to see if there is anything else to try before finding a replacement part.

It went from working fine, at a great speed, to 'a network cable is unplugged' Same cable will work fine in another machine. In the device manager, it says the device is working properly.

I've updated the driver on the ethernet NIC, even though it had the most recent version. Disabled, re-enabled the connection, still nothing.

IP is set to auto DHCP, but ipconfig just says that it's disconnected.

It will be a bit of a pain to source and replace this NIC, I'm not even sure if it's possible since it's such a small form PC - so is there anything else I could try on the software side before replacing it?

EDIT - one thing I'll try is booting from an Ubuntu Live USB to see if the ethernet port works with that OS

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

Yeah you could try booting Ubuntu, it'll probably give you the same result. It will be next to impossible to change the NIC on a laptop like that, the best you could do would be to get a USB NIC from eBay or Peats (I think there was a thread here today which someone said they got one in Peats for €15)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

It's hanging with the Ubuntu live USB, won't load up properly, seems to be a fairly well reported problem with Asus hardware.

USB Ethernet - very interesting, didn't realise such a thing existed! Thankage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

asif2011 wrote: »
    It will be next to impossible to change the NIC on a laptop like that

Unless you manage to shoehorn one of these in

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mini-PCI-e-PCI-Express-Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller-Card-/320640000491?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_PCMCIACards&hash=item4aa7a221eb

Didn't know they existed either till I checked

Thanks lads. I ordered a usb NIC from eBay last night for e6 delivered, so I'll give that a go.

Transfer speed should be bearable, I use this little puter to co-ordinate my backup from NAS to cloud (unlimited storage for $4 per month, currently 1.2 TB, and my main bottleneck is upload speed not LAN).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

edanto wrote: »
    (unlimited storage for $4 per month, currently 1.2 TB, and my main bottleneck is upload speed not LAN).

What service are you using?!

• Advertisement

Will send PM

Advertisement