Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplying Sports Shops

Options
  • 16-11-2011 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All,

Being on here a while but first time posting.

I have just started a business supplying Sportswear & Equipment. I currently supply direct to customers.

However after great feedback I now wish to expand to supplying shops/retailers.

I was just wondering what sort of discount I would have to give for them to be interested in stocking my products. Is there a rule of thumb per say?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Others will know more accurently but from my limited dealings with sporting goods

basically if your retailing it for €50 the retailer will expect to be getting it for about €20. 50% is the minimum end of the margin afaik, a lot of the stuff is upwards around 70%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rexelnew

Thanks for the reply hammertime

I have just about a 50% markup myself so might be a hard sell by the sounds of it.

Does anybody have much experience of approaching shops/retailers regarding supplying them. Is it best to walk in off the street, make a phone enquiry, email, etc?

Just wondering what is standard practice as havent done it before and want to make the best impression.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I'm in the same boat as yourself looking to get a sports product into the shops, and would also like to know the best approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Guys you need to cold call, e-mail, whatever ye can do but a lot of time and effort needs to go into this and be prepared to send samples.

Why don't ye get together and possibly see if ye're products compliment each other, one could take North and East, the other could take West & South or some arrangement like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

What kind of stuff do you supply?

I was thinking of buying older (maybe 2010/2011 season) Ireland (soccer & rugby) replica gear and bringing it to markets before Christmas.

The idea is that people won't want to pay more than €20 for a jersey, so if I can bulk buy for €10/€12 per unit I should be ok.

Any ideas on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Could you tell us more about your products or pm me I have a few contacts that might be interested in your product.

You would need to cold call and find out who does the buying with the bigger shops. Contact the buying manager and explain your product to them and see if you can get a meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rexelnew

Thanks for the replies and pm's. Has been a good help.

Just another quick question. What would be the standard terms regarding payment for goods from retailer. For the first and following orders.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement