Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1/2 - 1 acre of land wanted

• 16-11-2011 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

not sure if this should be here, but ye might be able to help me....

I'm looking for 0,5 - 1 acre of farming or "any" land for a little project....

I'd like to build a little Mountain Biking - Jump Park, Pump track etc....

This is currently not run through any club, company etc so there's very little money,(no profit), but if it works, it could hopefully attract youngsters off the streets, to do something positive....

If anyone has any ideas, much appreciated...

ADVANTAGE is that the land could be potentially leveled back to its original if needed, so even long term letting would suit...

Area: close to Limerick City...

pics:

attachment.php?attachmentid=34901&d=1232348500

Thanks Lads!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Insurance would be a problem for the owner of the land. I assume the owner of the land would be responsible for any claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 podko

Insurance would be a problem for the owner of the land. I assume the owner of the land would be responsible for any claims.

just looking at the insurance options at the moment....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Sorry to say - as your post indicates you want to do something positive for young people but I think insurance might be a big issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Insurance is going to be the very first thing you'll be asked about by land owners.
    Without it, you'll get nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Surely the onus of insurance will lie with the jump park operator as opposed to the landowner. I imagine that any solicitor worth his salt would have all legalities tied into the lease agreement which would leave no opportunity toclaim off the landowner.

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    Surely the onus of insurance will lie with the jump park operator as opposed to the landowner. I imagine that any solicitor worth his salt would have all legalities tied into the lease agreement which would leave no opportunity toclaim off the landowner.

this is what I would think and how I would like to run it also, but as I don't have all the legalities finished yet, I'm just trying to find out if there would be a suitable land around.

Thanks for all the comments... appreciate it!

If someone gets injured as a consequence of 'an activity', be they a participant, spectator, or passer-by, they (or their next of kin) can and do pursue everyone in any way connected with the activity. That'll likely include any other individual involved in 'the incident', the organisers of the event, the leaseholder of the venue, and the owner of the venue.

These actions may or may not be successful, but any landowner that I know of (and I have personal knowledge of 2) who allows their land be used by the general public requires the organisers have sufficient insurance cover for them (the landowner) to counter-claim against them (the organisers) in the event that they (the landowner) get caught up in an injury/damages case of some sort.

Rovi wrote: »
    If someone gets injured as a consequence of 'an activity', be they a participant, spectator, or passer-by, they (or their next of kin) can and do pursue everyone in any way connected with the activity. That'll likely include any other individual involved in 'the incident', the organisers of the event, the leaseholder of the venue, and the owner of the venue.

These actions may or may not be successful, but any landowner that I know of (and I have personal knowledge of 2) who allows their land be used by the general public requires the organisers have sufficient insurance cover for them (the landowner) to counter-claim against them (the organisers) in the event that they (the landowner) get caught up in an injury/damages case of some sort.

I'm not familiar with insurance process at all, but surely there has to be some sort of a thing, that if you're doing this certain activity and you have signed a doc that says that you're doing this on your own risk etc... then it should be hard to claim insurance?

As I said, I'm not familiar with this process at all, I'm currently talking to insurance companies....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Why dont you talk to the regeneration scheme? I think they have offices in / around moyross...........Im sure that like a skate park if the propper ppe, rules and risks are outlined that anything is possible. theres a off road bike outfit down in south co limerick kilfinne/ ballyhoura area, they may be able to give u some advice..........fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

podko wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with insurance process at all, but surely there has to be some sort of a thing, that if you're doing this certain activity and you have signed a doc that says that you're doing this on your own risk etc... then it should be hard to claim insurance?

As I said, I'm not familiar with this process at all, I'm currently talking to insurance companies....

You're going to hit a brick wall with insurance companies if you hope to have that outcome. No matter what happens, if someone has an accident on a facility operated by you, they will be entitled to claim from your insurance. there is no way around it unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Why dont you talk to the regeneration scheme? I think they have offices in / around moyross...........Im sure that like a skate park if the propper ppe, rules and risks are outlined that anything is possible. theres a off road bike outfit down in south co limerick kilfinne/ ballyhoura area, they may be able to give u some advice..........fair play.

I think this is good advice.
    The boys in Ballyhoura would be able to give you an idea of the insurance implications. They are just outside Ardpatrick. The Ballyhoura development com could be worth a call too.
    I see in Swords a skate type park, maybe the relevant authority here could be worth a chat.
    Best of luck with it!

'Disclaimers' DO have some value, but they're in no way a means of avoiding any and all liability.
    It's pretty well established by now that a person cannot 'sign away' their rights, no matter how strongly worded the disclaimer or how willing the participant is to sign it.

What a disclaimer CAN do is mitigate the amount of 'damages' awarded, if any. It can be used by your insurance company to show the court that the injured party was aware of potential danger and chose to proceed anyway.
    Similarly, prominent and clearly worded warning signs MAY mitigate any award to injured spectators or other third parties.

Unfortunately, this is the world in which we live and must operate in here in Ireland :(

Again, sorry to be negative - but what happens when you create a skate / jump park in someone fields (all above board), you go home in the evening and some other kids come playing - then they injure themselves. Who is responsible then? I believe its the landowner...

I imagine its the same reason if you own land, and rent it out - you still need to have insurance, even though you dont farm it. This is in case someone trespasses onto it, and if they get hurt - as its on you as landowner. :(

Again, sorry to be negative - but what happens when you create a skate / jump park in someone fields (all above board), you go home in the evening and some other kids come playing - then they injure themselves. Who is responsible then? I believe its the landowner...

I imagine its the same reason if you own land, and rent it out - you still need to have insurance, even though you dont farm it. This is in case someone trespasses onto it, and if they get hurt - as its on you as landowner. :(

so if I close the gate and go home and someone will open the gate and will be in fact trespassing and will hurt himself, then it's still my fault?
    That is weird...
    So if I have a house and I will lock the gate and some thief will jump over with intention to steal, which I can't prove, and he will brake his leg when jumping over the fence he could bring me to court and claim money??

I know that you didn't write the law, just a question...

Thx!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭jack77

theres paintballing lads down by shanagolden in limerick who have there site rented off coillte, i think they have something sorted insurace wise where both parties have partial liability, 1 of them was telling me about it. but anyway coillte might be an option to approach for ground to use especially when their semi state and this looks good for them, i'm sure they wouldnt mind the ground being shaped as below

so if I close the gate and go home and someone will open the gate and will be in fact trespassing and will hurt himself, then it's still my fault?
    That is weird...
    So if I have a house and I will lock the gate and some thief will jump over with intention to steal, which I can't prove, and he will brake his leg when jumping over the fence he could bring me to court and claim money??

I know that you didn't write the law, just a question...

Thx!

Well, this is my understanding, maybe someone else can comment if I am right
    A farmer has to have public liability insurance, if a member of the public (be they tresspassing or invited) comes in and injures themselves on your land - as they could say the landowner is responsible.
    The farmer has to have this on land, even if they are not farming it (if its rented) for cases of tresspass.
    The person renting ALSO has to have this insurance - so they are covered if they invite members of public onto the land.

In your case of someone tresspassing on your place and they hurt themselves...
    I would imagine there is a difference between tresspassing (taking a short cut through your garden, without your consent & and they fall) and a theif (knowingly going to break the law)

Similiar discussion on it here

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Im just wondering what the story is with insurance in the likes of paintballing and karting centre beside me, before you do anything you have to sign a disclaimer,
    would this mean they maybe have insurance but you cannot claim??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

weefarmer wrote: »
    Im just wondering what the story is with insurance in the likes of paintballing and karting centre beside me, before you do anything you have to sign a disclaimer,
    would this mean they maybe have insurance but you cannot claim??
    I don't know what the situation is in those cases. Any stables giving horse riding lessons near me have a disclaimer to sign before taking any lessons. I still find it hard to imagine that they can have no responsibility if an accident happens. If a horse went ape and injured the rider surely they have some level of responsibility.

Advertisement