Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand CD shops in Dublin?

Options
  • 16-11-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hey,

I really enjoy going around second hand music shops. I'm just wondering in Dublin how many there are which are worth looking into. The ones that I'm aware of are Spin Dizzy in Georges Arcade (quite a good selection) plus another one in the centre of the arcade.

My favourite one to pop into once a week is the one just up from Tower Records (where the Secret Bookstore is). There's also Chapter's which have some but there selection isn't great and there are those GameStop shops.

Does anyone know of any other second hand CD shops in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Same as yourself, I love browsing around for second hand (and new) CDs. Unfortunately over the last while decent second hand shops are getting fewer and fewer. You've already identified some of the best:

Freebird: (in the Secret Book and Record Store): The cream of the crop. Sound guys, great stock turnover and low prices. Plus they're careful about what they take in so no nasty surprises.

Spindizzy: Ok but stock turnover can be slow.

Mac's or Trout or whatever it's called in the middle of George's Street Arcade: Terrible in my opinion, the stock in the place is always filthy and in rag order.

Chapters: A total joke, I called in there a couple of weeks back and their CD section would make a charity shop blush.

There's also:

E2 Music (on College Green beside Books Upstairs): This place is excellent, Used CDs are racked up with the New ones so you have to browse the lot, but it's worth it. This place is on a temporary lease so may close after March 2012.

Oxfam Books on Parliament Street: They have a substantial CD section and sometimes it turns up the odd interesting item.

Borderline in Temple Bar: Has been closing down for months now so not much left there sadly (mostly bootlegs).

Mojo Records in Merchant's Arch, Temple Bar: Dire, how is this kip still open?

Rhythm Records, Aston Quay: Garbage (unless you're after a few U2 bootlegs or a CD that has been converted into a poor quality clock).

RAGE on Fade Street: Don't have a lot of CDs but the odd interesting thing turns up in there. CDs are downstairs. They also have a sizeable cassette section oddly enough.

No doubt I'm forgetting some others, but they're the ones that spring to mind right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

Hey, thanks for the reply. I went into E2 music today for the first time. I work on Dame Street yet had never even noticed it before. Not bad selection but a bit annoying having everything (new and second hand mixed together).

Will give RAGE a look on Fade Street. Is this the same group that used to be in the centre of the Arcade near by? When they sold hands in the Arcade there were some good bargains but all the decent stuff has been sold now.

I'd go along with you that Freebird is the best of the bunch. Always a good turn around of material there and the guys working there know there stuff. I thought Borderline in Temple Bar was in the process of closing down for the last couple of years, they seem to put a sign up every summer (does the guy working there ever smile)?

Coburg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Coburger wrote: »
    I thought Borderline in Temple Bar was in the process of closing down for the last couple of years, they seem to put a sign up every summer (does the guy working there ever smile)?

Coburg

Never! He actually seems fairly sound, but always looks like he'd like to kill someone.

I actually passed through Temple Bar this morning and it looks like Borderline might be finally gone for good. There was some work being done inside and a sign for some kind of sweet shop fixed to the front of the building. It's a shame because I'd usually find something interesting in there when I visited.

Mojo in the alley has also been gutted and had workmen in. I've no idea if that is a renovation job of if they're gone for good, but to be honest it'd be no great loss if it closed down.

I'm not sure who the guys running RAGE are or whether they have any link to the arcade, but they seem like sound lads. They have a lot of old console games and vinyl on the ground floor and the CDs are in the basement like I said before. Don't get too excited about their CD section though, it's fairly modest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Borderline are/were great. I once picked up Steve Vai's 'Flex-able' and 'Flex-able Leftovers' there on original vinyl. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Any updates on any of these places?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The day of the secondhand CD shop is nearing its end...:(

Well I think its the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

There's still plenty of second-hand stock in Freebird and Spindizzy so the days are far from over yet.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

HMV sell second-hand CDs for €2.

Just after buying a signed housemartins LP for €1 in my local charity shop.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Signed by their dummer who went to jail for attacking some guy with an axe?

3/4 signed. everyone except Hugh Whitaker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Geri Male

SubBusted wrote: »
    Signed by their dummer who went to jail for attacking some guy with an axe?

They guy he attacked was no angel.

Geri Male wrote: »
    They guy he attacked was no angel.

Go on fill us in Judge Judy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Just after buying a signed housemartins LP for €1 in my local charity shop.

Where was that? I buy vinyl all the time but in Dublin the only vinyl I see in charity shops is usually Foster and Allen or Chris De Burgh type shiite, the odd time something is worth buying the price is on a par (or more expensive) with new releases in record shops (they were asking 12 euro for Wuthering Heights on a less than perfect second hand 7 inch in an Oxfam shop in Rathmines).

Got it in svdp shop.Im thinking of putting it on ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭JK91

Bump. What shops about the City Centre still sell second hand CD's in 2014?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Mr Viking

They seem to be fast becoming a thing of the past which is such a crying shame. I used to love Chapters you could get lost in it browsing second hand books CDs and DVDs at their old store. Another casualty of the download age!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭JK91

Mr Viking wrote: »
    They seem to be fast becoming a thing of the past which is such a crying shame. I used to love Chapters you could get lost in it browsing second hand books CDs and DVDs at their old store. Another casualty of the download age!

You wouldn't know if there are any Freebirds still around town? They used to have a brilliant collection of second hand CD's from what I remember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Robert Lawlor

Freebird are great for cd's all top stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

JK91 wrote: »
    Bump. What shops about the City Centre still sell second hand CD's in 2014?

Oxfam Georges Street and Oxfam Parliment Street last time I was in them. Not as good a selection as this time last year. It might have just been the day I was in.

Advertisement