Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom/UPC Broadband Comparison question

• 16-11-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi there just wondering could somebody explain the difference between these two broadband packages from Eircom and UPC?

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bundles/ngb/14/

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/twentyfive/

Eircom states that it's package has:
    # Up to 8Mb uncongested broadband
    # 10GB usage allowance

UPC states that it's package has:
    25Mb downstream; 2.5Mb upstream
    500GB usage limit

Question: It would appear from those comparisons that UPC is a much better package than the Eircom one? How come there are such extreme differences between these packages? Has anybody got any experiences (good/bad) with either of these packages?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

they are delivered using different technologys.
    personally id pick upc every time having used both. faster, more reliable, better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Broadband is far better and more reliable with UPC - not really comparable. It is like comparing German and Greek Government bonds.

However "package-wise" it might be worth noting that
    Eircom's deal costs €46.79 per month
    UPC's deal costs €45 per month*

*To make them more comparable, i've added the €10 cost of Anytime world to UPC's broadband cost, as Eircom automatically include free local and national calls off-peak in their price.

Also, automatically included in Eircom's price is 30 FREE any network mobile minutes off-peak. If you added this onto UPC's price, how much would it cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Thanks guys :) This has probably swayed me in the direction of UPC alright!

@D'Peoples Voice: To be honest me and my girlfriend wouldn't be bothered with the phone stuff so it wouldnt sway us really. We are more interested in getting a good reliable broadband service in. As Random has used both, and from what you have said, it appears to be better alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

yeah but don't forget that eircom protect you from pirated music

they'll protect you so much that if you download them and get caught by the music industry a few times, eircom might just kick you off their network;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Gosh I forgot about that Slydice ;)

Protection from funding piracy is something else to take into consideration :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement