Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wood planer

Options
  • 16-11-2011 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend a cheap electric hand planer,?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

The green Bosch ones are pretty good and will last - not all that cheap, mind you.
    There are loads of cheap 'own brand' power planers out there - all made in China

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

With Slowburner here..... Bosch make very good DIY (green) tools, they are of good quality and last long. I have an electric drill I was given by by grandfather in 1984, still going stong and used on an almost daily basis.... a 15 year old planer, and a 16 year old router, all of the green 'elk'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

earpiece wrote: »
    With Slowburner here..... Bosch make very good DIY (green) tools, they are of good quality and last long. I have an electric drill I was given by by grandfather in 1984, still going stong and used on an almost daily basis.... a 15 year old planer, and a 16 year old router, all of the green 'elk'.
    I think the older Bosch power tools were made in Switzerland. Not sure where they are made today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

most of it is made in Hungary. I wonder where their blue stuff is made

these days you have to be thankful if a thing is not made in fecking China

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

eth0 wrote: »
    most of it is made in Hungary. I wonder where their blue stuff is made

these days you have to be thankful if a thing is not made in fecking China

I think the Bosch Professional (Blue) is made in malaysia. I know my bosch planer is.

This is the one I have:
    http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section/4569/sn/BSHGHO2682

By the way its a great planer if you can afford it. My favourite feature on bosch professional planes is therir wood razor system whereby the plane only uses 1 diposable blade which slides in place with no setting up at all only a tighten with an allen key and if you hit a nail while using the plane you won't have ruined a permanent type blade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Bosch could be made anywhere now, I have a small Bosch (blue) hammer drill, made in Russia!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sonofsteptoe

With all the previous posters on this one, I bought a green Bosch planer a couple of years ago to help reclaim some pitchpine flooring. Its been well used and abused (even planed some rubber residue from carpet from the timber). Still going strong.

Advertisement