Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odysseus' reading journal

Options
  • 16-11-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Right so I have been thinking about setting a log up for a while, and as I have some new books to read; I think now is the time for action. I have quite varied tastes from classics to modern fiction. So my starting point will be:

Double Falsehood by Shakespeare

This text is considered to be a lost play by Shakespeare, I have read the complete works but as this was only added to the Arden Shakespeare collection last year I have not read this one. There is still controversy about authorship but with reading the detailed introduction; my current understanding is that it now accepted to have been co-authored by the man himself.

I was introduced to Shakespeare and the Arden Shakespeare, I find they contain great introductions, discussions on the text as well as notes; so I looking forward to having a read of it and learning about it. I have a strong interest in Shakespeare as well as other classics, but there are so many books out there that there is always something I want to read. However, I read them mostly for pleasure and I'm far from being a Shakespeare buff. Anyway, time to get reading and I'll add more when I have read it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Ok so I am going to try again to keep a log of my reading; since my one and only post above I have got back to reading for pleasure. I just haven’t been good at recording it.

So I have just finished a re-reading of Romeo and Juliet, edited by Rene Weis. I had tickets for a production of Romeo and Juliet and decided to read the play again. I have a complete collection of The Arden Shakespeare; however, my copy of Romeo and Juliet was the 2nd edition of The Arden Shakespeare.

My collection is a mix of 2nd and 3rd editions; one of the big differences between the editions is that the introductions are totally different and I find the introductions in the 3rd editions more modern and they hold my interest more.

My 12 year old copy of Romeo and Juliet was a 2nd edition so I treated myself and got a copy of the 3rd addition and I have not regretted it. Timing a reading or re-reading of one of Shakespeare’s works with a production of the play always works well in my experience.

I'm not sure why, but whereas with a re-reading I regularly pick up something different from the text, however, this time I got a bit more than I usually do. As I said above that I find the introductions in the 3rd editions more approachable; I certainly took in more of the plays history this time.

I not too sure why on this either; but I have to say that this time around [and to be fair I have read this text a lot] but I really enjoyed reading it this time.

I have noticed that I am a lot slower in my readings the last few years; I used to read a lot faster. The introduction was about 120 pages but to read that and the play it took me about 12 days.

So now I'm off to decide what is next on the list.

Advertisement