Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling problem! Can I use lining paper?

• 16-11-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭

Hi, my timber framed house was never skimmed. Had a leak from bathroom upstairs onto kitchen ceiling causing paint to peel/crack. The leak has dried up and I had a go at repainting the ceiling but no luck.

I was wondering could I cover the ceiling with maybe 1000 grade lining paper and then paint it? The room is approx 15ft sq so lining paper would be all 15ft strips. If I go ahead with it would I need to butt the strips tight together or leave a 1mm gap and use a filler? I read that somewhere :)

Thanks all

Ps- I dont want to get only the ceiling in the house skimmed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Anyone used lining paper before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Ive never used lining paper . I know you dont want to skim just one ceiling but to be honest it sounds easier than putting up that paper and there wont be any difference in the finish once its painted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Lining paper is a waste of time.

Get a 5kg or 10kg tub of Febond (blue colour).Roll it on the ceiling,leave to dry of 24 hours and then reskim.

No more cracked ceilings and a perfect ceiling finish.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ginger83 wrote: »
    The leak has dried up and I had a go at repainting the ceiling but no luck.

What do you mean, no luck?
    Assuming the paint is damaged and flaking where the leak was, take the loose stuff back to a sound surface, use a stain blocking paint for any water marks, flush fill the uneveness with fillers, allow to dry, sand, then paint ceiling.
    Papering a ceiling is a chore and the butt lines will still be visible (even filled)...

Advertisement