Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting for Money

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Huntey

A horrible day all around.

Darna (-2 points) was pulled up very early with a very serious looking injury. Didn't get a run whatsoever but hopefully the horse is alright.

Somersby (-4 points) ran a shocker and was beaten by the better horse on the day. He may have wanted the ground a little stiffer but he ran a stinker, hit a flat spot at the wrong time and couldn't peg back the leader who had stolen a couple of lengths. 3 miles looks the call for future races but he was desperately disappointing today and I won't be backing him in a hurry anytime soon.

Bank: 28.85 (+8.85)

14:20 Cheltenham
    A New Story

A New Story loves it around Cheltenham and Michael Hourigan probably can't believe that he is going to get good-firm ground in early December. He is a horse who has run to his highest mark at Cheltenham and the conditions for this race are ideal.

A New Story is a very well campaigned horse and may be getting a little long in the tooth at the ripe age of 13. However, he has always put up a good effort in the cross country races at Cheltenham only finishing outside the places on 1 occasion from 4 attempts. He won over these conditions at the festival in March 2010, and ran in a fast finishing third in the 2011 renewal. His form outside this course is pretty weak but his season is campaigned towards these races. His 16 length 4th to Organised Confusion was a good attempt at the Irish National in April and I hope he still retains some ability that should enable him to go close.

Adrian Heskin takes the ride and with his 5lb claim A New Story is running off a lowly weight of 10-4. He seems to lack the toe at times when the race heats up but he is a very game horse who will be finishing fast. His seasonal form is only relevant in the sense that he will be a fit horse coming into this race. He is a good jumper and if he gets into a decent rhythm tomorrow he should have a decent chance to get involved here.

A New Story 1.5 points win at 11/1 (William Hill)

13:45 Cheltenham
    Knockara Beau

With nothing jumping off the page in this 3m 1f handicap I think the George Charlton trained Knockara Beau has a chance to go well here. He handles the trip well and with some solid C&D form I think he has the ability to test a few at the head of the market. I couldn't touch Mon Parrain and although Fair Along ran a decent race last time he could struggle here.

He was top weight for his seasonal reappearance carrying 11-12 over hurdles, and ran in mid-pack where he was well beaten by the impressive Dynaste. He will definitely come on for that run and I think that he has the ability to exceed his 143 chase mark. This 8 year old gelding came fourth in this race last year running off a 6lbs higher mark. The ground would suit if it eased a bit but he has a nice weight all the same of 11-3. Jan Faltejsek takes the ride and with the possibility that Knockara Beau was prepared for this race the 7's I took look generous. I couldn't touch Mon Parrain and although Fair Along ran a decent race last time he could struggle here.

Knockara Beau 1.5 points win at 7/1 (William Hill)

Knockara Beau finished strongly to nab second in his race. He got in tight twice on two occasions around the back and was just caught for toe when things heated up. Not a bad effort but just seems to find one or two too good.

The cross country turned into a farce and I'm pretty gutted tbh. A New Story was going really well and he had every chance turning to the straight. He has always finished very strongly in this race and I really thought I was onto a winner there. Heskins was going the right way but the horse followed some pigs off the course and was brought down. What an animal though, he gave Adrian a cracking ride the whole way round and didn't look a bit of his age.

Bank: 25.85 (+5.85)

15:20 Doncaster
    King Fontaine

I haven't had any luck with 3 mile handicaps so far but I think I have found one with a bit of value tomorrow. King Fontaine is a sketchy jumper but a horse who stays very well which is critical to the long run in at Doncaster.

This Malcolm Jefferson horse won a decent class 3 chase on his reappearance last season over 3 miles on good-soft ground. He followed up that success at Haydock with a class 2 handicap win over the same conditions, beating a 137 rated animal by an impressive 11 lengths. King Fontaine then stepped up to contest a grade 3 handicap, but he was pulled up over very testing ground when he was going well until blundering badly. Another grade 3 handicap was on the cards next time out at Prestbury Park and this 8 year old gelding stayed on valiantly to finish 5th in a competitive affair. Connections felt that he would benefit from a longer trip due to his ability to stay on, and even though he smashed every fence he remarkably completed the Grand National finishing in 11th place.

With only one run so far this season over hurdles, in which he was pulled up, I think it is very possible that King Fontaine has been aimed for this race. No doubt he will make a few mistakes tomorrow but I think that his staying ability will be an advantage in this long stretch to the finish. I think that his form is the most solid in this contest and with a decent weight of 10-11 he should have the ability to elapse his 135 mark. He is a very tricky sort and with Dougie Costello taking the ride from the injured Graham Lee, he will definitely earn his jockey fee tomorrow. King Fontaine will relish the flat, galloping nature of the track and with conditions to suit I think he looks the value bet of the race.

King Fontaine 1 point win at 14/1 (Paddy Power)

• Advertisement

12:45 Cheltenham
    Mossley

A trappy enough looking race here but with conditions suiting the Nicky Henderson trained 5 year old he could turn out to be a decent price.

Mossley was a very decent hurdler who received a mark of 149 for his efforts, which included a 2nd place finish in the Albert Bartlett last March. With only one run over hurdles Mossley made a step up to grade 2 company last December over 3 miles, and didn't disappoint when he beat Join Together by 1 length. A drop in 3 furlongs next time out on heavy going resulted in a dismal 42 length 5th to Court in Motion. The conditions were far too testing that day and a line can be drawn through that run. The ground fortunately turned up good at the festival and he really showed his class by pushing his stable-mate Bob's Worth to within 3 lengths. His Aintree run that followed was another disappointment, but it could be widely regarded that he was over the top and ran well below form.

Mossley's chasing debut and seasonal reappearance 3 weeks ago wasn't overly inspiring, but it was a decent effort. He beat very little that day but his jumping was mixed, with him putting in some very classy jumps and looking novicey in contrast at times. A bad blunder didn't deter him though and he ran out an easy 10 length winner. No doubt he will come on from that run and with a competitive field tomorrow there is little room for error. Join Together and Champion Court are the two main rivals tomorrow on paper. Join Together has turned into a lovely chaser and his recent win has been franked by Teaforthree who has gone on to beat the well regarded Restless Harry. He has faced up against Mossley before and has failed to pass him both times, with his Albert Bartlett performance a particular disappointment. He was alwasy going to make a better chaser however but I don't think he will have the speed to beat Henderson's horse over these conditions tomorrow, and the fact he has to give him 4 lbs has put me off aswell. Champion Court has been campaigned at 2m 4/5f this season and has shaped as if he wants more. His jumping has been sketchy at times but he is still a danger, but one I feel will have to improve further if he wants to get the better of my selection.

Mossley hasn't run a bad race on good ground over 3 miles at Cheltenham to date, and if his jumping is slicker he should have an excellent chance. I would be surprised if Join Together has the speed to beat him but he will still need to run to a decent mark to land the prize in this competitive affair. Henderson's yard are still flying with 3 winners today and I just think there is probably more scope for improvement from this Irish gelding who carries 11-6 tomorrow.

Mossley 3 points win at 11/4 (Paddy Power)

Medermit and Grandouet up aswell tomorrow, massive day for the log with a big outlay.

13:55 Cheltenham
    Halley

A bit of a selective punt here on this French import as it could very well be anything. It is very difficult to analyse the French form but Halley seems a different animal since being purchased by Tom George. He came 2nd on his seasonal reappearance in a valuable chase and won a grade 1 next time which held a prize fund of 135k. Tom George thinks very highly of this 4 year old and it will be very interesting to see how he gets on in this weak enough Grade 2 contest. Today's trip is 2 furlongs more than he has faced before and he has no form on good ground so it is a tentative selection.

Halley 1.5 points win at 10/3 (Boylesports)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Well done on Grandouet Huntey.

I was lining up for a good bet on it, and had my doubts about coming up the hill, your write up convinced me to go for it, cheers man.

ft9 wrote: »
    Well done on Grandouet Huntey.

I was lining up for a good bet on it, and had my doubts about coming up the hill, your write up convinced me to go for it, cheers man.

Cheers and well done to you too, I had my doubts today aswell but he is some animal.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mossley (-3 points) jumped a lot better today than his first stint over fences but he just met one too good today. I thought Join Together would be caught for toe but his jumping won it for him today and he looks like he could be very decent over fences. Mossley had every chance but he just wasn't able to pick up when Geraghty asked him for more. I have a feeling that the ground may have been a bit testing early on but he was beaten well.

No surprises that King Fontaine (-1 point) was proving difficult to get into a rhythm but he was badly outpaced and couldn't get involved. I will leave him well alone now unless there is a serious drop in class.

Halley (-1.5 points) was an unknown and he really looked to be very average. He might need a bog but I wouldn't be holding high hopes for him to be involved in any decent class races over here.

Medermit (-1.5 points) ran a stormer and I actually thought he was going to get there coming to the last. A pity that Barry came with his mount from out of the clouds but that is how it goes sometimes. A very game effort all the same and he gave me a very decent go for my coin. Pipped into 2nd but it won't be long before he gets that illustrious win around Prestbury Park.

Grandouet (+9 points) got me out of a hole today by showing what a superstar he really is. I'm a little sick I didn't take the 25's for the Champion Hurdle before his Haydock race but not to worry. He came full of running when turning for home but I wasn't counting my money just yet as his biggest challenge was still waiting. Barry gave him a peach of a ride and did the right thing by keeping him covered for as long as possible. He didn't disappoint when asked for an effort and he won it very well in the end, showing that he has matured enough to be one of the leading 2 mile hurdlers this season. He is a quality animal and can't wait for another collection from him in the future. On a side note Menorah was shown up again to be a very exposed 2 miler.

Bank: 27.85 (+7.85)

14:05 Punchestown
    Rubi Light

The Grade 1 John Durkan is the next port of call for Robert Hennessy's gelding and if he performs to his mark here he has a massive chance.

The progression of Rubi Light since the turn of the year has been immense, with him winning a Grade 2 over 2m 4f and putting up a massive effort to come 3rd in the Ryanair. He travelled really well that day and a mistake 3 out seemed to have put paid to his race, but Andrew Lynch got a tune back out of him to only go down by 3 lengths to Alberta's Run. His seasonal debut this year was looking like connections were going to get another group 2, but Rubi Light veered violently at the last fence and took a heavy fall. He has been given plenty of time to recover from that and even still that run will have him in decent shape for tomorrow.

Joncol is a monster of a horse who has two group 2's and a group 1 Hennessy Gold Cup on his record aswell. He was a sick horsey last year and his seasonal reappearance was an eye catching win over Cooldine, but he hasn't been the same horse since his RSA win. Joncol can be one-paced at times so I'm conscious that he may be caught for speed here in this Group 1 contest. Tranquil Sea is another market leader but his form looks sketchy enough and he will need to improve a couple of pounds here to get involved. Kempes will be running on strong at the end but I think he may actually want 3 miles to show his best form.

Top class jock Andrew Lynch takes the ride tomorrow and if he gets Rubi Light into a decent rhythm he may prove difficult to reel in. Despite his recent fall he is actually a very sound jumper and probably the most fluid amongst the field. He is a progressive 6 year old who won't be caught for speed, and with conditions to suit he should be the one to beat if he runs to form.

Rubi Light 4 points win at 5/2 (William Hill)

• Advertisement

15:05 Punchestown
    Selection Box

This handicap chase looks a weak enough contest and I think that the 10 year old Selection Box is overpriced here. His form from last season looks rock solid with him running in a very respectable 4th to Sonny Mullen by 4 lengths in a class 2 handicap chase. The third horse that day was I'msingingtheblues who is a very well regarded horse in the pipe yard and has looked a decent animal this season.

Selection Box has had two runs this season over hurdles, winning one and placing down the field in the Troytown hurdle two weeks ago. Ted Walsh's horse looks very decent after beating Saddlers Storm in a P2P 3 weeks ago but the rest of the field doesn't look overly strong. The yard make the trip down from county Down tomorrow ad I think they will be hoping for a big run. He carries 11-6 which is high enough with a couple of horses running with under ten stone, but if he runs to form here he should go well.

Selection Box 1 point win at 10/1 (Paddy Power)

13:05 Punchestown
    Casa Jove

The market would suggest that Casa Jove has little chance here but I think he may be overpriced. After two uninspiring runs in two point-to-points last season Henry De Bromhead sent this 5 year old gelding over hurdles for the first time in September. He was beaten out the gate that day but the trip may have been a bit of a stretch on all accounts.

Next time out Casa Jove defied the odds to beat the impressive Mississippi River when he was stepped back to 2 miles. Mississippi River is a decent animal who won a competitive maiden hurdle last week and got to within 2 lengths of Rebel Fitz in September. Casa Jove looks solid when you take into account what he beat so I don't think he is totally without a chance here.

Conditions will suit tomorrow and Casa Jove could surprise a few tomorrow with further scope for improvement.

Casa Jove 0.5 points win at 10/1 (Paddy Power)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

If only I'd read your log before goin for Tranquil Sea, well done though

.... lovely write ups and great result :)

Derek! wrote: »
    If only I'd read your log before goin for Tranquil Sea, well done though

Cheers Derek and unlucky with Tranquil Sea. He is a frustrating horse for backers, difficult to catch on his day.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    .... lovely write ups and great result :)

Cheers James, a sketchy enough week so nice to get the bank to a respectable mark again. Highest winner is still only a dismal 3/1 though, need to get my selecting boots on.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Casa Jove (-0.5 points) drifted to 20/1 but he put a very decent showing all the same. He led them round and was still in contention in the straight only to fade out of it. There was only ten lengths between the field and even though he finished last of the five he might be worth to keep an eye on in a weaker contest.

Selection Box (-1 point) crashed out of this around half way through so it was difficult to get a read on his performance. His jumping was poor but he settled well enough and probably has the ability to run a big race soon.

Rubi Light (+10 points) put on a jumping exhibition and decisively beat a pretty average field. He settled and travelled brilliantly and proved too difficult to reel in as I thought may happen. Andrew Lynch kept him at his work and I think he will be better on less testing ground. Still progressing and connections have said that he will still be going for the Lexus next time out.

Bank: 36.35 (+16.35)

I can appreciate why you would like to have a few home in front at decent prices but you're strike rate is mightily impressive, coupled with the sensible staking plan you employ your bank has almost doubled which is no easy feat to pull off. Most of your winners have ended up at prices shorter than what you have taken so you seem to have the edge on the market most of the time :)

We all have to play to our strengths at this game, you're doing incredibly well :)

14:35 Newbury
    The Giant Bolster

I couldn't have any confidence in Time For Rupert after his last performance and I definitely think that this David Bridgewater 6 year old has a chance.

The Giant Bolster has faced up against Time For Rupert on two occasions, but his jumping has let him down both times and he had never made it round. Tom Scudamore was unlucky to unseat in the Paddy Power but he puut up a very decent effort next time out in the Hennessy. His jumping was pretty good that day apart from one bad mistake and he just didn't stay the trip after travelling fluidly. The step down in trip will suit and although the ground mightn't be ideal I think he could put up another bold showing here.

The Giant Bolster 1.5 points win at 5/1 (William Hill)

The Giant Bolster (-1.5 points) put up a very decent performance today and I'm sure he will land a nice prize soon enough. His jumping was a little slow but it is improving all the time and I can't fault his performance, only losing by 2 lengths to the eased down Time For Rupert. Depending on conditions he could be one for next time.

Bank: 34.85 points (+14.85)

13:55 Ascot
    Hazy Tom

This Grade 2 novice hurdle looks a tight enough affair between the top two but Hazy Tom could turn out to be a very classy animal and one I am willing to take a chance on.

Charlie Longsdon's yard are in cracking form of late and no doubt he will be hoping that his 5 year old gelding can give him another win tomorrow. A winner of 4 of his 4 starts, Hazy Tom made a very impressive introduction to hurdles when he beat It's A Gimme by a head. That form looks very strong with It's A Gimme going on to win a maiden hurdle against Colour Squadron, who in turn won a very decent hurdle himself yesterday when heading Montbazon and Ericht. Hazy Tom's most recent start over hurdles resulted in him leading from pillar to post to win on the bridle by 12 lengths to the Charlie Byrnes trained Sea of Thunder. The form looks ever more solid again here when Sea of Thunder looked an easy winner of a Grade 2 at Cheltenham last weekend only to fall at the last.

One issue tomorrow is that this progressive Irish bred horse hasn't run over genuine soft ground, an unknown which will probably be encountered tomorrow with heavy rainfall expected. Hazy Tom would prefer better ground but if he bowls along in front again he may prove too difficult to reel in if he can snatch a few lengths down the straight. The main danger tomorrow is the Henderson trained Molotof, a 4 year old who has done little wrong with some decent form against Zarkandar last season. He has won well on both starts this season but his form doesn't look overly strong, with both seconds going on to be well beaten next time out. He likes to get a clear run aswell so it will be interesting to see who will take them along, but I think that Hazy Tom may just have that little extra bit of class. Molotof shapes like he would prefer an easier finish and with him giving 3lbs to my selection aswell I am happy to take him on. Rebecca Curtis's horse Peckhamecho isn't out of the equation either and could separate the top two if he runs to form.

Dickie Johnson is on board tomorrow and I'm hoping his recent bout of lunacy at times won't be on show tomorrow. Hazy Tom looks an exciting prospect and although the ground is a concern he may well appreciate the stiff finish. Connections will be hoping of a competitive display and with his form to date looking very strong he should be in the mix up at the business end of things tomorrow.

Hazy Tom 3 points win at 11/8 (William Hill)

14:30 Ascot
    Pacha Du Polder

Pacha Du Polder has only ran once in England so far but this French 4 year old shapes like he could be a potentially brilliant chaser.

His seasonal debut for Nicholl's wasn't an ideal encounter with it only being a 2 runner race, but he showed some qualities to make me believe he has a very live chance of getting involved tomorrow. Apart from a few novicey attempts, his jumping was superb at Sandown and when he was headed he battled back valiantly to snatch it by a nose. Taking that into account the right handed stiff finishing Ascot shouldn't pose a problem and could very well expose a few of these novice chasers. His French form suggests that the expected soft ground won't be a problem either, and if he gets into a decent rhythm under Ruby he could take all the beating.

Chablais looked a decent winner last time but his jumping would suggest he wants to go left handed and he beat nothing more than a couple of ponies that day. Kumbeshwar jumped well on his chase debut but again I'm not convinced of the form. Frascati Park will relish the ground but I can't see him sneaking away from this field under his usual prominent ride. Zaynar was a high rated hurdler who has lost his way a bit, although he as taken to fences well. He seems a fluid jumper although prone to the odd error, and although he can be one-paced he plugs on valiantly to the finish. The soft ground will probably hinder him a bit but I will have a saver on him incase he can reproduce some of his previous ability.

Pacha Du Polder is taking a step up in class aswell but if he likes the ground and jumps well again he should have every chance. Ruby takes the ride here and with a low weight of 10-8 it would be disappointing for connections if he didn't have the ability to run this field close.

Pacha Du Polder 2 points win at 11/4 (Boylesports)
    Zaynar 1 point win at 8/1 (Paddy Power)

• Advertisement

Hazy Tom (-3 points) hated the ground and wasn't able to pick up. He had every chance turning for home when he seemed to be travelling the best but he was soundly beaten. Better ground is a must next time out and a step up in trip would probably be beneficial aswell.

Pacha Du Polder (- 2 points) didn't show anything to confirm my confidence in him. He seemed to be moving through the pack down the back but made a blunder and was under pressure then from a long way out. The market told the story with him drifting before the off, and it also showed the winner with Zaynar (+8 points) being backed into 7/2 joint favourite. Zaynor put in a fabulous round of jumping and they couldn't catch him. James Reveley has a great ability to present a horse to a fence and he was almost flawless today. He bullied them all off the course and will be interesting to see where they go with him next.

Biggest winner of the log so far at 8/1 and it was a saver :pac:

Bank: 37.85 (+37.85 points)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

Congrats once again Huntey, that was a great win

15:05 Ascot
    Reve De Sivola

Not the most natural chaser by any means and although slightly exposed I think that Reve De Sivola could put in a decent effort over the conditions here tomorrow.

This listed handicap enables the Nick Williams trained gelding to run off a career low weight of 10-4 tomorrow. Despite being a Grade 1 and 2 novice hurdle winner over testing conditions it is quite unusual that Reve De Sivola has only been sent out over better ground since. This 6 year old has some sketchy form from last season and hasn't been overly impressive this season either. His seasonal reappearance was a disappointment as he was well beaten by inferior animals, although he carried top weight that day and probably needed the run. Last time out he was outpaced again and was 20 lengths off the impressive Galaxy Rock, but that form doesn't look so bad since. Two horses who finished in front that day were Hey Big Spender and Carruthers, who have both gone on to win a listed race and the Grade 3 Hennessy respectively. Fair Along was 18 lengths behind and he went on to run a stormer in the Hennessy also, whilst putting up a competitive showing last week in a Grade 3 contest at Cheltenham.

Reve De Sivola isn't the greatest jumper and he is prone to errors when the screw is turned. In saying that the testing conditions tomorrow will probably benefit his jumping as things won't be happening overly quick for him and he could have a solid chance. James Reveley might lack a bit of tactical nous at times but he is in the form of his life and I'm sure he won't do the horse any harm with his impressive ability in presenting a horse to a fence. Nick Williams' yard are in scintillating form aswell and if he gets a clear round tomorrow he would have to be a main danger with so many of this field looking exposed.

Reve De Sivola 2 points win at 5/1 (William Hill)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Quite like Reve too.

14:10 Haydock
    Pateese

A difficult race to solve with 3 or 4 here that I could have sided with Philip Hobb's Pateese who just gets the nod.

Pateese went off the 9/2 favourite in the Greatwood but failed to deal with the early pace and faded badly in the straight. That race was on the back of an 8 length demolishing of the field in a class 3 handicap hurdle. Plenty of holes can be picked in that form as a couple probably needed the run but he ran away easily to suggest that there is plenty of scope for improvement. The Greatwood may have been on ground too quick and the easier surface will help tomorrow. The step up in trip is an unknown but his prominent riding style could be very advantageous. The testing nature of the ground will ensure that if Pateese can get into a decent rhythm out front he may be difficult to peg back. Matt Griffiths takes a 5lbs claim off his back so I think that 11-3 is a very workable weight if Pateese can show further progression.

Pateese 1 point win at 8/1 (William Hill)

15:35 Ascot
    Marsh Warbler

Brian Ellison has reported that his progressive 4 year old has been working fantastically at home and with conditions to I am willing to relay my confidence in him for the Ladbroke Hurdle.

This is a minefield of a race one I think that Marsh Warbler could put a decent effort for connections. 4 year olds have a terrible record in this handicap race but I think that there is a lot in favour if this improving hurdler. Marsh Warbler is a Grade 1 winner on soft ground who was disappointing in the Supreme all though the ground was far too quick that day. His seasonal reappearance was a spin over the AW, and he battled on valiantly to win by about 3 lengths. Last time out the impressive Grandouet dispatched of my selection easily, but the ground wasn't ideal and again he showed good ability to fend off the 6lbs lighter Domtaline. The 7lbs claimer James Best takes the ride and that will only benefit his mount who will now race off 10-7.

Marsh Warbler is a prominent type and he will relish the testing nature of the ground tomorrow. He definitely has the ability to run this field close but there are many horses that you could make a claim for here. With Brampour keeping the weights down the 16/1 I took last night looks a generous price.

Marsh Warbler 1 point win at 16/1 (William Hill)

14:45 Haydock
    Wymott

I have already had a bet on Wymott in the Hennessy and despite him carrying a bucket load of weight tomorrow I think he is the classiest animal in this 3 mile handicap.

The jury was still out on Wymott prior to his last run as he only had a couple of class 3 and 4 wins on his record over fences. He was pulled up early in the RSA with a fracture and showed no ill effects on his seasonal reappearance at Cheltenham. He put up a fantastic round of jumping as always and with the ground far from ideal he battled on really well to only go down by 7 lengths. He will come on a ton from that run and I don't really see much danger in this field apart from the top weight Cape Tribulation.

Cape Tribulation ran some very solid races last season and put up a cracking effort last time out when he ran in 5th in a competitive 3 mile handicap, with it being a hands and heels job. Jefferson probably has him aimed towards this so I will have a saver on him as he is likely to strip fitter for this aswell.

Wymott will love the heavy ground and he will stay every inch of this trip. He tends to idle in front at times but if you threw him into a pool of wet cement he would still plough his way through it. Jason Maguire is on board tomorrow and another solid round of jumping could have them all at it. I would be a little disappointed if Wymott didn't have the ability to win this class 2 for connections even though he has a strenuous weight.

Wymott 2 points win at 7/2 (Boylesports)

Cape Tribulation 1 point win at 9/1 (William Hill)

Reve De Sivola (-2 points) ran a decent enough race and apart from a few minor early errors his jumping was much improved. He was badly hampered when landing at the last and stayed on really well up the finish to finish third by just over 6 lengths.

Pateese (-1 points) was given a pretty gutless ride by Matt Griffiths but he was a tired horse and the conditions were pretty brutal.

Wymott (-2 points) was extremely disappointing today but I don't think he was sent out to win. He was carrying a decent weight but his race was finished from the off when he was held out the back. If I had known McCain was going to drastically alter the tactics I would have stayed well clear. Cape Tribulation (-1 point) absolutely smashed a fence early on and was pulled up soon after, was pretty miraculous that Paddy Brennan even stayed on.

Marsh Warbler (-1 point) ran a cracker and will definitely be one of interest next time over testing conditions.

Bank: 30.85 (+10.85 points)

Huntey wrote: »
    12:45 Navan
    Mount Benbulben

On first glance this looked like a no-bet race to me but I have found a big enough claim for the Gordon Elliot trained Mount Benbulben. This 6 year old gelding has really started to shape into a quality horse and if he is as good as I think he should take all the beating tomorrow.

Barry Connell bought this horse last year after he impressed in a couple of bumpers beating some nice horses including the late Lovethehigherlaw. Mullins thought the world of that horse and even though he might have wanted better ground that day he won a bumper very well at the Punchestown Festival, so his 8 length beating by Mount Benbulben has to be respected.

The soft ground will be perfect tomorrow and the trip of 2m 4f is ideal. Mount Benbulben's seasonal reappearance and hurdling debut didn't go to plan with him slipping up on the flat. He was lit up like a Christmas tree that day and fought for his head off Paul Carberry most the way round, but he was still travelling well when he went down. He won handily enough last time out over a more substantial trip and settled a bit better, winning on the bridle beating Golanbrook into second who has placed in a maiden hurdle since. His jumping was a bit novicey at times but it wasn't anything I would be too concerned about.

His two main rivals tomorrow will be Texas Jack and Rebel Fitz. Paul Carberry is claimed by Noel Meade to take the ride on Texas Jack and he won very impressively last time out winning hard on the bridle. His seasonal debut went well although he only beat a hacking horse that day who has been beaten by 35l and 17l since. The trip should suit him aswell but I have a feeling he won't want it too soft here.

Rebel Fitz has rarely run a bad race so far and with Ruby on board this Michael Winters trained gelding will make a decent claim for himself. He is unexposed over this trip and his only run over testing ground proved to be his least impressive when he ran in fourth, so I'm content to leave him be.

John Harrington has a nice enough horse in the race aswell and it is definitely the most competitive novice hurdle we have seen this side of the pond this season. Davy Condon takes the ride for Gordon Elliot with Carberry claimed for Texas Jack, and I'm hoping he will give Moun Benbulben every chance to prove how good I think he is. Missed the early price of 5/2 which is a shame but still going to have a max bet.

Mount Benbulben 4 points win at 15/8 (Paddy Power)

13:05 Navan
    Mount Benbulben

This is the write up a gave about Mount Benbulben last time and he didn't disappoint.

Gordon Elliot sends his progressive 6 year old out again tomorrow in a Grade 1 and even though it is a stern test I think he will be the one to beat.

Make a Track came third that day and he won a decent contest the other day. Mount Benbulben form looks stronger by the weeks with Golanbrook winning a hurdle race a few weeks ago aswell. He is a course a distance winner and I think that he will just be that extra bit classier than this field.

Ipsos Du Berlais has some decent form, beating The Engineer on his seasonal debut who went down to Golanbrook by 3 lengths prior to that. He will be a big danger tomorrow but he still needs to improve if he is to win this. Boston Bob will be well suited by the trip and his point-to-point win over Days Hotel looks very strong. He was beaten by Reizovic over 2 miles last season who was beaten out the gate by 50 lengths when he came up against Mount Benbulben next time out. The step up in trip was probably a stretch that day so the form line isn't conclusive but it isn't overly convincing for the Mullin's horse all the same. he has acted on the ground before but I think he probably prefers it a little less testing. He is a danger and will shape into a quality 3 mile chaser but I'm going to leave him alone tomorrow.

Mount Benbulben showed how classy he is last time and I think he is probably a couple of pounds clear on the ratings here. It won't be a walkover but he will love the conditions and is definitely the one to beat. Paul Carberry has a tendency to sit tight when he is on the best horse and that has caught him out many times when he should be hacking up. Hopefully he will get on with the job and I'm sure he will be very capable of giving Mount Benbulben every chance.
    Another max stake and can only see the price shrinking, although another drift to 5/2 would be nice.

Mount Benbulben 4 points win at 5/6 (William Hill)

• Advertisement

Mount Benbulben was soundly beaten into second place by Boston Bob. He didn't travel with much fluency today and jumped to the right each time. He has never done that before and Elliot mentioned that he didn't like something out there so hopefully he comes back sound.

The family will have to go with home-made presents this year :(

Bank: 26.85 points (+6.85)

Advertisement