Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will my 18yr old Dog be ok with a new 1yr old dog

• 16-11-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Am unsure weither or not to take on a new dog, I really want to but am thinking will my 18yr old Male(dunno what it is in doggy years) Half Collie/Spinger be ok with the new addition or will it stress him out?
    He is Deaf and partically blind with arthritis and the new addition would be a 1yr old male Beagle.

will they be ok after a while or What do you think i should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I wouldn't do that to your old dog. Let him live out his old age in peace without being stressed out and annoyed by a younger dog. And Beagles have bundles of energy. Could you not wait until your guy passes on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Am unsure weither or not to take on a new dog, I really want to but am thinking will my 18yr old Male(dunno what it is in doggy years) Half Collie/Spinger be ok with the new addition or will it stress him out?
    He is Deaf and partically blind with arthritis and the new addition would be a 1yr old male Beagle.

will they be ok after a while or What do you think i should do?

Have to say i wouldnt be inclined to get a new dog when your dog is soo old, plus a 1 year old beagle male (still a puppy) would be MEBTAL... it would drive your dog crazy!! IMO...

I have a friend who has a 7 years old and he's still mental and lots of work.... and im sorry to say but when i visit with my cocker who is 6, the beagle is a pain in the ass (sorry no offence to beagle owners) but his crazy... compared to my dog of the same age. :o

Maybe an older dog, maybe more mature and a less hyper breed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irishlady85

I think both replys are good advise, I think i may wait a few years before i get a new dog Beagles are beautiful dogs but i agree alot of hard work.
    Thank you for your answers. :)

Advertisement