Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly starting working in Navan, looking for suggestions

Options
  • 17-11-2011 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been living and working in Ireland (Dublin) for more than 10 years. Now I could have the possibility to have a job in Navan. Nothing is definite yet, but in case I'm definitely offered, I want to be ready to take the right decision.
    Co. Meath is completely new to me and I wonder if it would be better 'confine' myself in Navan town where I don't know anybody, or rather moving somewhere long the M3 where I could be between my work place and Dublin, where most of my friends live. What would you suggest? And is there any nice and safe place/town you could suggest me anyway?
    Last but not least, any nice gym (with swimming pool) either in Navan or again between Navan and Dublin you could recommend?
    Very last, but important as well, how's social life in this area? Is it just pub culture :) or is there something more? Are people nice and friendly in general?
    Thanks so much for all your suggestions and ideas.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

First off, driving from Navan to Dublin doesn't take too long (bout an hour on the motorway) so don't be too concerned about being separated from friends. You can also catch a bus up every half hour (the 109) if you're planning a night out up there. I think there's still a nightlink back Friday and Saturday nights if you don't crash up there.
    There is a leisure centre in Navan with a gym and pool though I can't say how good the gym is as I've never been. For the most part people are nice though some can be a bit stand offish and expect a fair bit of "blow in" banter ;)
    Though you can always head into Johnstown which is practically little Dublin at this point. A friend runs the courtyard bar up there and there's more dubs than Navan people in it.
    Anyway I'm sure more will chime in and best of luck with the job offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭allovertheshop

Hi,

I use to live in Navan and as towns go, it's not that bad.

I wouldn't advise moving half way, it's only an hour from Dublin with a very regular bus service and also a nightlink at the weekends to and from the city centre so very easy to go out in dublin at weekends if you want to go out with friends, or if they want to come down to you. At least if you move to the town, you'll be close to work and have half a chance of a social life outside of work, whereas if you move half way i.e dunshaughlin, you'll spend your whole time travelling to work, travelling to dublin to go out etc.

Navan has a great night life, plenty of pubs with live music all nights of the week, 3 night clubs, a great arts centre/theatre called the solstice, a few gyms. The Aura Leisure Link is a pay as you go gym/swimming pool so no need to pay membership. There are loads of clubs / societies so whatever you're into, i'm sure you'll find it there. There's also quite a few nice restraunts.

I know when I was there I'd get fed up of the same places/same people but you get that anywhere and honestly, whenever any of my friends visited Navan, they loved it too and always had a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sushmita

Thank you guys.
    I have a car, so I'm independent. I'd definitely leave my apartment though because it's in city centre and the rent is high. If I decided to move to Navan, long the M3 or even in Castleknock/Blanch it would be cheaper. It's just a matter of deciding where I could live and the search would start from there.
    I'll start looking for a place after working there for a while, I'm not rushing things. But first I wanted to start having few ideas in order to think it this job (in terms of location) can be suitable for me.
    Sorry, but I'm not Irish and I'm not very familiar with the slang :) what does "blow in" banter mean? Is it just teasing or a bit more than that? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

sushmita wrote: »
    Thank you guys.
    I have a car, so I'm independent. I'd definitely leave my apartment though because it's in city centre and the rent is high. If I decided to move to Navan, long the M3 or even in Castleknock/Blanch it would be cheaper. It's just a matter of deciding where I could live and the search would start from there.
    I'll start looking for a place after working there for a while, I'm not rushing things. But first I wanted to start having few ideas in order to think it this job (in terms of location) can be suitable for me.
    Sorry, but I'm not Irish and I'm not very familiar with the slang :) what does "blow in" banter mean? Is it just teasing or a bit more than that? :)

A "blow in" is someone, not from the area/county who moves into a new area. If you're not Irish, then you're ok as you're a complete "blow in"!! :)
    I'm a Dub living in Meath for the last 15 years and I'm still a "blow in". My son is a "blow in" and his children will also be "blow ins". It takes generations to be considered a local.

You could also consider Dunshaughlin or Clonee, if you're considering to be spending more of your social life in Dublin.

Advertisement