Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Censorship (Corporatism)

Options
  • 17-11-2011 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I use a different provider to eircom, but my folks pay for a service from eircom. Visiting their house recently I noticed that while using their wi-fi some of my bookmarks were blocked :eek:

All of these sites and services are very useful and feel like a community.
    Mostly I download radio shows and other stuff that is free to air or creative commons.
    If you use eircom you are missing out. You do not know what these sites or services offer because eircom has decided what you should see and use.
    They have taken that choice away from you, and you pay them from the priviledge.

Shame on eircom.

If you have a choice, exercise it.

That is all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

cheops wrote: »
    I use a different provider to eircom, but my folks pay for a service from eircom. Visiting their house recently I noticed that while using their wi-fi some of my bookmarks were blocked :eek:

All of these sites and services are very useful and feel like a community.
    Mostly I download radio shows and other stuff that is free to air or creative commons.
    If you use eircom you are missing out. You do not know what these sites or services offer because eircom has decided what you should see and use.
    They have taken that choice away from you, and you pay them from the priviledge.

Shame on eircom.

If you have a choice, exercise it.

That is all.

What sites exactly were you trying to access i've never been blocked from using anything with Eircom.?:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

piratebay is blocked anyway :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Yeah piratebay is blocked alright but its the only site that i've seen have not come across any others that have been blocked as of yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Piratebay is the only site Eircom blocked.

Are you sure your folks PC doesn't have a child filter or something similar installed on it?

A lot of the small children in my family use my grandparents computer, so we set up a site blocker on it that only allows them access certain sites, like Nickelodeon and Disney sites. A lot of Antivirus programs may also block websites, they're generally not that good at it, and often block harmless sites.

Also, Eircom was ordered by the High Court to block the pirate bay. As the biggest ISP in the country, the music industry went after them first. They fought, and lost. So don't blame eircom. The music industry are going after UPC and the rest of them now too. It wont be long before torrenting music is a thing of the past, in Ireland at least.

Advertisement